Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 92 users in the forums

Patrick Mahomes QB

Bad mechanics and small hands not touching this guy with a 60 ft pole.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I like Mahomes the best. There is risk to him because of his sloppy mechanics and unorthodox play, but he has such great intrinsic talent. However, I don't think we will take him at #2 and he will be gone by our next pick.

How about a trade up

I think there's a decent chance he'll be out of reach in a trade up. I think WIN's idea about trading back a couple times for some extra 2s/3s and snagging him in the teens is probably the right way to go. How much would it suck if we traded back twice and someone jumped up a pick in front of us to snag him?

He's probably not going to be picked in the first round. He is on the shorter side (6'2) with smallish hands (9 1/4") and inconsistent mechanics coming from an Air Raid offense. He has an elite arm, but that's not enough to get you drafted that high. We need a QB, but I don't think we'll reach for one. We'll still be rebuilding next year and there should be some good options available in free agency or the 2018 draft.

If we like Mahomes, we can probably trade back in the 2nd round and still get him.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 3, 2017 at 8:52 AM ]
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Didn't he have the largest hand size of the guys measured? or did I mistake that?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Didn't he have the largest hand size of the guys measured? or did I mistake that?

9 1/4". You may be thinking of Peterman and Kizer who were 9 7/8".
Derek Carr had 9' 1/8 hands...

Well good thing its not up to you.
Mahomes is a gunslinger.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by strickac:
He'll be able to stand in the pocket and deliver short, accurate throws, which is largely what Kyle's offense is. We're talking about probably a 3rd rounder here. He's a developmental guy.

Except he's not accurate and probably has the worst tendency of staring down his primary target of any QB expected to go in the first four rounds. To me he's just a typical Air Raid prospect but with a big arm, nothing more. If he didn't go to Cal, I doubt anyone would bring his name up on here.

Mahomes at least has ridiculous physical ability that blows away any previous QB coming out of the Air Raid, plus despite his mechanics he's managed to be fairly accurate. I have far more hope that he can get his issues straightened out as he has far better overall talent.

For as much as the commentators hyped up Webb at times today, he didn't impress me. He has some really nice throws, but he has some that just made you shake your head.

Watson and Trubisky looked really good. Mahomes was fine. Peterman was the one that caught my eye. He has excellent anticipation and placement on his throws.
Check out his brother, I think he is 15-16. Towers of his older brother (and his dad) already.

Project QB who can make all the throws. He isnt starter ready but in the right system he could thrive on arm talent alone. Not your prototypical wco QB either. He needs a lot of work before he is NFL ready. 2-3 years would benefit him most.
For as much as the commentators hyped up Webb at times today, he didn't impress me. He has some really nice throws, but he has some that just made you shake your head.

Watson and Trubisky looked really good. Mahomes was fine. Peterman was the one that caught my eye. He has excellent anticipation and placement on his throws.

Anticipation at combine throws???
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Check out his brother, I think he is 15-16. Towers of his older brother (and his dad) already.

If that's his brother... doesn't really look any related. Looks completely white.

Yeah, good job of finding the open man...
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Yeah, good job of finding the open man...

I heard he made excellent pre-snap reads at the combine too
Share 49ersWebzone