There are 139 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

I don't know why he doesn't have a thread already but along with Trask, if the 49ers were to draft a QB, I think he is a much more realistic option than guys like Fields and Wilson that are likely to go well before the 49ers pick. Mac Jones isn't as dynamic as Tua and he doesn't have the same ceiling but he's shown very good progress as a quarterback. He's a nice fit for a WCO or timing based passing offense, reasonably decisive and accurate, quick release, not the most mobile guy out there but able to avoid pressure adequately and he's improved his deep passing among other areas. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

I do think his arm has more zip than Trask's and he's a little less hesitant to just let it rip but like Trask, he's also surrounded by a considerable amount of top notch talent on that offense so you wonder how much of a benefit that is providing him with overall.

Personality wise, based on what I've seen and heard from Jones, I could see him clicking really well with Shanahan.
Jones is definitely much more in line with what Kyle wants from a QB than all of the top guys not named Trevor Lawrence.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 1, 2020 at 6:54 PM ]
If we could potentially draft the right QB, we could make a run like the 2004 Steelers did. With a rookie QB and a strong defense.
So my biggest question with Bama QBs, is it the talent around him or is he that good, I can't say why hasn't he started bc of Tua and Hurts, but with his Line, Backs and WRs I can't see how he doesn't succeed, all that said I do like the kid and I'm positive so does Shanahan. Might I say reminds me of Matt Ryan ?
Originally posted by jersey49er:
So my biggest question with Bama QBs, is it the talent around him or is he that good, I can't say why hasn't he started bc of Tua and Hurts, but with his Line, Backs and WRs I can't see how he doesn't succeed, all that said I do like the kid and I'm positive so does Shanahan. Might I say reminds me of Matt Ryan ?

There's a lot of talent around him but from what I've seen, he's definitely progressed as a passer which is a big thing I love to see from QB's. Each year you get a little better, a little more polished, its something that turned me off on Connor Cook because he was the exact same guy with the exact same strengths and deficiencies year after year. There's got to be consistent improvement and Jones has looked really good this year. Ball placement, especially on the deep ball is better, he's added some size, moves around better in the pocket, arm strength has improved, he plays with a ton of confidence and does a good job reading the defense. He's really got all the tools, there's just a lot of disagreement on what his ceiling ultimately is.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

There's a lot of talent around him but from what I've seen, he's definitely progressed as a passer which is a big thing I love to see from QB's. Each year you get a little better, a little more polished, its something that turned me off on Connor Cook because he was the exact same guy with the exact same strengths and deficiencies year after year. There's got to be consistent improvement and Jones has looked really good this year. Ball placement, especially on the deep ball is better, he's added some size, moves around better in the pocket, arm strength has improved, he plays with a ton of confidence and does a good job reading the defense. He's really got all the tools, there's just a lot of disagreement on what his ceiling ultimately is.

I agree with all you said, he definitely has been great and I'm one that thought when Tua went down last year Bama wasn't going to be great but bc of Jones they are. I just hope somehow there is kind of a real draft process to actually get to see all these QBs more and better, which I doubt.

I was literally having a conversation with my cousin during the niner game yesterday about Mac Jones. Just like Phoenix mentioned above, I think Mac is probably the more realistic option should we go QB early in the draft. And yes, he really does remind me of Matt Ryan coming out of Boston College. Doesn't have the strongest arm, but accurate, efficient, and tough.

One thing I like is that him competing in the SEC is enough potential for someone like Shanahan to get the best out of. He competes against NFL-level defenses and has continued to get better. He loses Jeudy and Ruggs and has looked much better this season (even with covid limiting their offseason practices). Then he loses Waddle and still throws for 4 TDs vs MISST.

Ideally, drafting Mac Jones and having him learn behind Jimmy or an acquired Matt Ryan would be the best target plan, but it also means passing up on the talent corners projected to be in the 1st round next offseason.
ugh
The placement on those deep passes

Originally posted by NYniner85:
ugh

Trust me, I feel the same way. I hate how the ball comes out of his hand. It lags through the air.

But Kyle likes them like this.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 2, 2020 at 10:26 AM ]
I don't think Kyles "type" is as rigid of a definition as some of you think. He wants QBs that can read the defense, have quick release, are accurate at all levels of the field, and can execute the play design. He isn't anti mobility or anti ability to improvise, these are bonuses to him. I don't think someone as smart as him expects the play to never breakdown, so he wouldn't turn down a Wilson or Mahomes type qb. What he doesn't like is when a qb lacks the minimum qualifications I mentioned
Originally posted by Heroism:
Trust me, I feel the same way. I hate how the ball comes out of his hand. It lags through the air.

But Kyle likes them like this.

He's been able to thrive in the SEC while running a pro style offense, is seen as a team leader, has gotten progressively better every single year and stuck it out at Bama, waiting for his moment when he could have been starting at dozens of other programs.

He gives you the intangibles of an AJ McCarron with better physical ability and talent. Doesn't have the arm of a Tua but I don't see it being an issue considering the caliber of competition that he plays against routinely and still is able to get his numbers.

Just like with Trask I think he works really well in a WCO or something like what the Saints run but with more experience and a better arm.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I don't think Kyles "type" is as rigid of a definition as some of you think. He wants QBs that can read the defense, have quick release, are accurate at all levels of the field, and can execute the play design. He isn't anti mobility or anti ability to improvise, these are bonuses to him. I don't think someone as smart as him expects the play to never breakdown, so he wouldn't turn down a Wilson or Mahomes type qb. What he doesn't like is when a qb lacks the minimum qualifications I mentioned

I wish I was optimistic like you bro
Originally posted by NYniner85:
ugh

Share 49ersWebzone