49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 487 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Originally posted by raywm3:
Originally posted by okdkid:

How?

Because Buckner wants upwards of $20 million. We were never going to pay that. So we trade him for pick #13. What's so hard to understand?

Yeah, in fantasy GM land it makes total sense when you are only talking about capital. You find a way to keep your Keystone players. It took us like 42 drafts of 1st round D-lineman to only come out with Buckner as a stud.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Scottie15:
What Solomon can do: suck ass. Cuz he's a garbage football player.

We all said that about Armstead this time last year.

At least Armstead showed some flashes and wasn't drafted #3 overall.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by mrburkeyou:
I believe this was also done because lynch wants to see what Thomas can do playing inside at his natural spot

This is the most disgusting part. I've defended Solly but you trade him and let AA walk to have the money to pay Defo. Instead if feels like he's giving his guy a new shot and he just resigned a one year wonder injury prone player to a franchise deal.

Defo was the only one with real trade value. Well be fine
You could have gotten a mid round pick for Solly and dropped his $9 million dollar cap hit and in the process resigned Buckner.

LOL. Solomon Thomas finally going to get to play 3T.

OH MY... PLEASE BE A CONTRACT YEAR TRYHARD, SOLLY!!

this, is what scares me
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Armstead @ $17M + 13th overall pick >>>>>>>>> Buckner @ $21M (and no Armstead)

I'm taking AA and 13th pick. I loved Buck but he is not worth anything even close to Donald money

No way. He's not the playmaker Donald, Grady and Jones are. Very good and steady though. Can extend Kittle too right now.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 16, 2020 at 1:34 PM ]
21 MILLION?!? GOOD GOD. No wonder we traded him. Absolutely LOVE Buckner. He's an All-Pro and a Pro Bowler, but there's no way we could afford 21 million and keep the majority of the others. WOW!!

This is the most key conclusion right here.
Originally posted by mayo49:
DE Ford
DT AA
DT Thomas
DE Bosa

Jones is gonna start not Thomas.
[ Edited by LundyLove on Mar 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Not predicting this but suppose they trade their 2 number ones and move up and grab Chase Young. The main thing is this move saves us some money and gives us flexibility which all GMs like. I hate to see Buckner go because I always felt he was better than AA but $21 million with $90 million total is too much. Hopefully we get D J Jones back next year along with Blair.

Then trade Ford/Armstead and have Bosa and Young as bookends? Oof.
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Armstead @ $17M + 13th overall pick >>>>>>>>> Buckner @ $21M (and no Armstead)

I'm taking AA and 13th pick. I loved Buck but he is not worth anything even close to Donald money

Thats donald money from a yr or two ago. Prices always go up. Nobody is worth what theyre paid. Once u consider all those facts, u realize u keep good players at almost any cost
BAD planning IMO....

85 for Armstead's too much... at much as I don't see Bucko as a SUPERSTAR, I would still rather keep the guy... we have him for another year, we could have franchise him and get TWO 1st rounder...

Although the Colts are NOT stupid to give up the 13th for Aweak ArmHurts, I'm now wondering which player do we have in mind??

My Spider sense tells me that it's the kid from S. Carolina (Kinlaw), but that still a risk since Bucko is MORE proven that this guy...

It also does not make any sense to me because we took Bucko 7th overall, and he's proved his worth, then we give him up for a 13?? at least their 13th and a 3rd.. NO??

so if you look at the draft list, I don't see anyone who's more worth than Bucko straight out.. not a single WR (Ruggs - oh please NO !!!).. Kinlaw?? Brown?? just doesn't make any sense??

one of the OTs available ??? Won't it be cheaper had we traded for the Redskins (Williams) ??

What about Bucko for Joey ??

not sure why I keep seeing 4 letters each time I think of us picking 13... TRADING the 31st overall to gain that missing 2nd and 3rd, I just see ...

M-I-M-S ???

COULD IT BE ???
Armstead over Buckner....ugh

• Antix
  • Veteran
This is a move that is hard on the heart but right in the brain.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Henry Ruggs @13

No thanks.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
They didn´t trade Buck because of Solly, let´s be serious for one second.
And clearly John Lynch didn´t wake up this morning thinking "Damn I´m gonna trade one of my top 5 players and I won´t even talk Kyle about. I will just wait to see him yelling at me because I did it.".
I think they see that Buckner wasn´t gonna accept less money and there was the opportunity to get the 13th pick.
But now, you have to be damn good at drafting a great player unless they have this mad idea to try everything to get Chase Young.
In my mind, I think Kyle could see an OBJ clone in Jeudy.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
21 MILLION?!? GOOD GOD. No wonder we traded him. Absolutely LOVE Buckner. He's an All-Pro and a Pro Bowler, but there's no way we could afford 21 million and keep the majority of the others. WOW!!

Isn't that like JG/QB numbers? I agree, I just don't think that was feasible.

21 mil is like qb money 5 yrs ago. Its in the mid 30s now
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I think the Niners get a WR1 out of this somehow. Either at 13, or via a trade involving #31 (OBJ?).
Share 49ersWebzone