There are 477 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Midbay:
Lance could have said to Lynch… "I appreciate you guys giving up so much to get me but we all know I'm a bit raw so how about I sign a team friendly contract with incentives so you can go get me a top notch lineman to make my life easier".

I'm sure everyone involved wishes things would have turned out differently with Lance but it seems like a pretty standard business and "sh*t happens" NFL scenario.

Except that isn't the way rookie contracts work
[ Edited by EastBay on Dec 12, 2023 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Lance to Vikings was his best option and it made sense for both sides

Look how it would have turned now

Vikings would be starting him with a shot at the playoffs still

i thought to atlanta made the most sense, thats where he could go and get the most reps

ATL made the most sense to me, but minnesota would of been a good spot too. He still may end up at either.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i thought to atlanta made the most sense, thats where he could go and get the most reps

his floor is so low, he's not getting any meaningful NFL reps, anywhere
he really needs another league, like Warner who was in arena and NFL Europe

Unfortunately, all anyone knows about Trey is that his floor is about as low as it gets. He didn't show much promise, which is why the Vikings or atl wouldn't offer more than a 7th rounder for him.

Literally anyone could of had him for peanuts and no one really did but the cowboys. Trey didn't get effed here, there were some unfortunate circumstances but it was just never a wise pick.

Kyle/John drafted a guy with 400 passing attempts in his life, all against about the weakest competition level possible. He is probably the rawest player ever taken this high. He looked so bad thay the niners gave him away to a conference rival that we are battling for a super bowl appearance with. Lol

we got what we deserved for making the dumbass selection.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 12, 2023 at 6:29 PM ]
Originally posted by EastBay:
Lance could have said to Lynch… "I appreciate you guys giving up so much to get me but we all know I'm a bit raw so how about I sign a team friendly contract with incentives so you can go get me a top notch lineman to make my life easier".

I'm sure everyone involved wishes things would have turned out differently with Lance but it seems like a pretty standard business and "sh*t happens" NFL scenario.

You are correct.
Originally posted by EastBay:

Lance could have said to Lynch...."I will pay back the prorated signing bonus, please release me so I can choose the team I want to join.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Lance could have said to Lynch...."I will pay back the prorated signing bonus, please release me so I can choose the team I want to join.

We were trading him for the best offer, period.
I think ShannaLynch hatched a scheme to get TL to the point where he would ask to be traded.... they knew there would be blowback and bad vibes if the cut him loose any other way.... the plan worked perfectly, I think the plan was finalized right before they signed Brandon Allen

LOL
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

We were trading him for the best offer, period.

Agree, and it will be interesting for Dallas and Lance next year as Dak is probably looking to see if he can get another blockbuster contract vs Dallas going with a younger QB in Trey Lance. Dak will be 31 in 2024, and that's not old for a QB, but if he loses in the playoffs *again* this year -- that might be a situation where Dallas thinks Dak can't get past the playoffs ceiling and go to Trey and rebuild the team to see if Trey can get them past the playoffs and into the big game. We shall see.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree, and it will be interesting for Dallas and Lance next year as Dak is probably looking to see if he can get another blockbuster contract vs Dallas going with a younger QB in Trey Lance. Dak will be 31 in 2024, and that's not old for a QB, but if he loses in the playoffs *again* this year -- that might be a situation where Dallas thinks Dak can't get past the playoffs ceiling and go to Trey and rebuild the team to see if Trey can get them past the playoffs and into the big game. We shall see.

Trey is likely never taking meaningful snaps for Dallas outside of injury. If Dak were to bottom out and they were to move on… which is highly unlikely… the best Trey could hope for is a competition to be the starter. Exactly zero teams are going to play him to develop him like it's 2021 still.

This scrub demanded a trade so he can be the 3rd stringer behind a potential MVP and solid backup that can win games 😂 so pretty much different city, same situatuon

good riddance
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Dec 14, 2023 at 11:26 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
This scrub demanded a trade so he can be the 3rd stringer behind a potential MVP and solid backup that can win games 😂 so pretty much different city, same situatuon

good riddance

Him going to DAL makes it so much easier for me to not care about how he does. Had he gone to some neutral team, I may have paid attention to how he progresses just to monitor the situation. idgaf what he does in DAL. What is he doing, playing scout team QB? Actually, don't tell me, idgaf.
imagine if Dal wins it all and he gets a ring.
Thinking about what lies ahead for Trey... Next year is year 4 for him. It seems that he would be QB3 on the Cowboys next year if he doesn't get beaten out for that spot. I don't see him getting traded (who would offer anything?) so Dallas won't likely recoup the pick they sent us in trade. Then the cowboys won't pick up his fifth year option. Trey becomes a free agent after the 2024 season. Maybe he bounces around the league as a backup but once enough teams have had a look -- maybe 1-2 years -- it seems like he could be out of the league by year 6 or 7.

He is never going to get the development reps in live games he needs (and there is no guarantee those reps will lead to performance at an NFL starter level) and there are new guys coming into the league every year who have played meaningful college football. At some point, an undeveloped prospect runs out of time and I see that happening with Trey in a few years
[ Edited by CardinalGold on Dec 14, 2023 at 7:02 PM ]
Maybe, but there is still hope for him.

He only meaningfully completed 4 games. That's a nothing number.

Things we know for sure about Lance are that he wasn't nearly ready to lead a Superbowl-hungry team. He wasn't able to compete with one of the greatest rookie QB's of all time. He was too raw to start at this point.

People talk like he was horrible and showed nothing, but it's really comparative. After 4 games people were calling Trevor Lawrence all kinds of bust. Other QBs have really struggled early on too.

Obviously he needs live reps. No way is anybody going to install him as QB1, but I do think he is good value at QB2 for a team that is in transition and doesn't want to use draft capital at the position. He could even turn out to be a bargain down the road. I think it's wrong to assume he has no value at all at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone