49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 486 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Fresno49er:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Here's another. These plays are a bit worrisome because struggles to hit his hot vs blitzes also showed up in college. I highlighted a similar play at NDSU where he failed to look for his hot despite an obviously impending blitz. Hopefully, it's something he can figure out.

found it

Trey Lance was rarely under pressure, so this one is a bit alarming. UCA blitz 0. His hot is the shallow route coming from the right. Why is he looking to the opposite side? He drops his eyes under pressure and just flounders.

The unfortunate truth is our starter will miss open guys and absorb sacks as well.

Not a blitz in both cases but guys were open in both cases,....and this is without marching orders to stay put in the pocket.

They both are certainly not perfect, but then again I don't know what QB is.

Joe Montana

The guy is blind. Embarrassing. That's why Trey. I'd rather have a decent pocket passer and a devastating rpo/ outside throwing nightmare. This is what Lynch was seeing in every game no doubt. Dude has horse blinders on in the center of his vision.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Another reason why Trey needs to be starting. It's not like he'll be overcoming any of these Issues by sitting on the bench.

The other possibility is that you reinforce those tendencies to get sloppy if you throw him out there before he's ready, especially if he starts taking regular beatings and stops looking down the field.

Or he gets seriously hurt because his situational awareness in the NFL is not optimum because of his inexperience.

Kyle will be cautious after his experience with RG111

That's always a concern... with that being said, this Is why he ( Trey ) needs all the reps he can get through training camp/pre season to see where he's at overall.
Originally posted by Fresno49er:
Originally posted by random49er:
Here's another. These plays are a bit worrisome because struggles to hit his hot vs blitzes also showed up in college. I highlighted a similar play at NDSU where he failed to look for his hot despite an obviously impending blitz. Hopefully, it's something he can figure out.

found it

Trey Lance was rarely under pressure, so this one is a bit alarming. UCA blitz 0. His hot is the shallow route coming from the right. Why is he looking to the opposite side? He drops his eyes under pressure and just flounders.

The unfortunate truth is our starter will miss open guys and absorb sacks as well.

Not a blitz in both cases but guys were open in both cases,....and this is without marching orders to stay put in the pocket.

They both are certainly not perfect, but then again I don't know what QB is.

Joe Montana

Meh, Joe took his lumps too. Had three or four turnovers in the Catch game. Nobody is perfect, though Joe had his moments.
  • thl408
This guy's twitter feed has many of the Lance throws from the KC game in all22.
https://twitter.com/JackHammer_NFL
My .02 cents is a rookie never won a SB...but what better situation could one win in right now? Big Ben and hell even Mark Sanchez almost did it as rookies. I think it will happen one day. Every record and stat is meant to be broken. Trey has a super squad when kittle, deebo, aiyuk, mostert, mack, Williams, etc are all in there. It can happen and I wouldn't get the rookie nerves if he went in there to replace jimmy at some point
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Kyle is toughening Trey up for what to expect in the regular season. So when the regular season happens this stuff won't be surprising to him and will be able to adapt better because he saw it all in the pre-season. When Trey is a superstar in a year or two he will be look back at this years pre-season and say this helped him. Grant is ranting about how Kyle should have did everything to put Trey in the best position to succeed in these meaningless games as if that is going to be the case in the regular season where he never deals with a pass rush, never gets sacked or hit. That is not going to be the case. He is going to have to deal with these situations and you would rather it happen in a meaningless pre-season game, than a regular season game. Kyle and McDaniel have already stated they want trey to deal with some failure so he could learn from it. What does tearing up the pre-season due for these rookies that have already made the team, Except to give them false confidence?

Almost as if KS knows QB play is more than practices and preseason. Ill never shut up about it but the biggest hurdle a rookie QB has is learning defenses. Gimmicky QBs can overcome that initially because they force the defense to have to account for the gimmick. Once NFL defenses get film and develop a plan, its game over unless the QB can prove to be an NFL caliber QB within the pocket.

It's also likely why KS is keeping Lance within the pocket on plays, he doesnt want the run mentality to become his instinct and would rather see him process the field under pressure rather than just run the ball. Once Lance proves he isnt a run first guy, KS will let him do what every he wants once he has the reigns.

But back to the point and the one missed by allot of people thinking a very talented rookie is better than an established slightly above average QB... reading defenses. JG makes a couple boneheaded plays in a game, no doubt. Lance is at the place where he may launch a 80 yard TD... but follow that up with a few bone headed plays per half. And thats with over analyzing one preseason game (which in itself is foolish but its a forum and what we do.)

The arrow is definitely up with Lance but almost every NFL coach will stick with the dink and dunker who stays within themselves and has only a couple WTF throws a game, to the boom or bust guy that is just as likely to launch a 80 yard TD then throw it into double/triple coverage and get lucky the defenders cant catch. Thats against a vanilla 2nd string D, whether he was running for his life or not... forcing things is always gonna piss a coach off. Throw it away and "Live to see another down." This wasnt a practice to see if he could pull it off, it was an audition for the starting job. His running ability is gonna be an asset when he gets the okay to do so... but so is the ability to just dink and dunk it rather than muscle throws into coverage. He needs all the tools to be successful not just go downfield or run. Those tools will only be there when he knows exactly what the defense is doing and taking advantage of what they give him, whether its running, dinking or launching an 65 yard ball.

Another aspect to this is 3rd downs. Kyle loves setting up explosives but he can't do that until he's got a QB who can efficiently be tops on 3rd downs. And Jimmy was #1 at that and 'should' be even better now. 3rd down completions + strong running game + top tier defense = a s**t ton of wins in this league and within striking distance of a Superbowl.

We just saw that with Trey. One big explosive, a few drops, and then unable to consistently sustain drives.

Until Kyle feels the explosives will outweigh the 3rd down moving the chains or until he feels Trey will be tops in 3rd downs, he won't start.

But 3rd downs don't matter…
Just ask any "random" fan
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Right, I'm merely speaking from pure pass protection and not how just the threat of a run by a QB can help in that aspect; like a cerebral veteran QB with total control presnap can affect the defense.

Mobile QB's are just on the other side of the spectrum. Their issue is all the extra hits, lots of injuries, huge losses on sack yardage, relying on athleticism too much to where it inhibits their in-pocket development, late season burn outs and ineffectiveness, more on their plate (designed QB runs, RPO's, RO, etc.), OL doesn't know how and where to block for them, etc.

Obviously the most ideal is perfectly in between like Steve Young after countless years within the WCO. They don't have those long practices and time to develop like that anymore so it'll lean more towards the athletic side to help counter that. That's what the league is proving now.

How many times does this need to be posted and addressed before we stop seeing people post it? Mobile QBs do NOT get hurt more than pocket QBs. There is ZERO evidence that they get hurt more often. Please stop posting this like its a fact. It's crazy.

Perhaps you should check the injury reports over the years. Russell Wilson is the only one, son and even he's been beat to hell.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Another reason why Trey needs to be starting. It's not like he'll be overcoming any of these Issues by sitting on the bench.

The other possibility is that you reinforce those tendencies to get sloppy if you throw him out there before he's ready, especially if he starts taking regular beatings and stops looking down the field.

Or he gets seriously hurt because his situational awareness in the NFL is not optimum because of his inexperience.

Kyle will be cautious after his experience with RG111

That's always a concern... with that being said, this Is why he ( Trey ) needs all the reps he can get through training camp/pre season to see where he's at overall.

Agreed with this rider... you do not want this pony showing all of his tricks to give our opponents lots of film
Kid just needs time to learn. Relax.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:

I saw what you did

Originally posted by Silky:
My .02 cents is a rookie never won a SB...but what better situation could one win in right now? Big Ben and hell even Mark Sanchez almost did it as rookies. I think it will happen one day. Every record and stat is meant to be broken. Trey has a super squad when kittle, deebo, aiyuk, mostert, mack, Williams, etc are all in there. It can happen and I wouldn't get the rookie nerves if he went in there to replace jimmy at some point

Yeah. The idea that a rookie QB has never won a SB before therefore he cant, is silly logic.
Perhaps you should check the injury reports over the years. Russell Wilson is the only one, son and even he's been beat to hell.

I can't tell if you are trolling or are ignorant on the subject. Either way, you are incorrect.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:

3rd downs matter. It's just that they're more of a team stat with the offense we had, and getting a new QB to replace ones that aren't good enough longterm matter much, much more. (Per Kyle Shannahan)

You did take Stats right? >,<,=, etc?
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 16, 2021 at 5:18 PM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I can't tell if you are trolling or are ignorant on the subject. Either way, you are incorrect.

NCommand is not ignorant on any football topic. Bank it.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

NCommand is not ignorant on any football topic. Bank it.

So you're calling NC a troll?
Share 49ersWebzone