There are 151 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lance looked pretty much like what you would expect from a one year starter from the FCS. We saw the arm talent, we saw the ability to throw down the field, we also saw a guy who looked considerably unpolished and with a lot of work ahead of him. Playing on a stacked team, in a run first offense against heavyweights like James Madison in the FCS doesn't exactly prepare you for NFL defenses.

He's a work in progress. The worst thing the 49ers could do is to throw him out there, let him get his ass kicked and start seeing ghosts out on the field. I think you have to ease him in packages that will help boost his confidence and make him feel more comfortable as he slowly adapts to the speed of the NFL game while you have a steady veteran in Garoppolo to hold things down.

Considering how much the team invested in Lance, it would be a mistake to try to rush him out there. You didn't trade up for him just for the next season but for the next 15, thus I'm hoping they stick with the long term approach in mind, letting him develop at his own pace.

Exactly. We tried that whole throw them to the wolves thing back in 2005 and it didn't exactly pan out. Let's do it right this time.

Alex not having early success has nothing to do with him starting year 1 and everything to do with him starting 5 years later with just as many different OC's.

The team in 2005 was also complete garbage in both a talent and a coaching level. The fact that Alex Smith went on to have a successful career after spending 4-5 years with, at the time, a terrible organization shows that a good QB won't be ruined if they're eventually put in the right situation.

Jim Plunkett is verifies that.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Warned you guys that all this excitement will create expectations....now most of you are being humbled

Don't worry..

This necessary?

My expectation hasnt changed. As soon as Kyle feels he is a starting caliber QB, he will start. And my opinion is that happens sometime in 2021.

I feel the same way but not if he plays the way he did this past Saturday. I wonder if Kyle is weighing the possibility on whether or not he can scheme wins with Lance for enough games to allow Lance to get comfortable and start controlling the offense.

But having said that, no rookie QB has ever won the SB. The ceiling of this team with Jimmy is SuperBowl win. History shows that is NOT the ceiling with a rookie QB.
i said most of you..

Zoners had Lance from : already ready for week 1, Running the offense better than what jimmy can do and possibly being the first rookie to win a SB without taking his first snap.

Let the kid get acclimated first. This is a marathon and not a sprint
Warned you guys that all this excitement will create expectations....now most of you are being humbled

Don't worry..

This necessary?

My expectation hasnt changed. As soon as Kyle feels he is a starting caliber QB, he will start. And my opinion is that happens sometime in 2021.

I feel the same way but not if he plays the way he did this past Saturday. I wonder if Kyle is weighing the possibility on whether or not he can scheme wins with Lance for enough games to allow Lance to get comfortable and start controlling the offense.

But having said that, no rookie QB has ever won the SB. The ceiling of this team with Jimmy is SuperBowl win. History shows that is NOT the ceiling with a rookie QB.

Most of the greatest QBs in history either didn't play in their rookie season or struggled mightily if they did. It takes some time to learn the nuances no matter how talented a player is. Making any judgement off one pre season game is a joke. You need to see how a young QB progresses and how he performs with the starting unit, not the 2nd or 3rd string guys. On top of the normal learning curve, Trey needs to get used to playing again after only one game in 2020.

Anyone that starts calling him a bust before he actually plays in a real game with the starters is a fool.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Most of the greatest QBs in history either didn't play in their rookie season or struggled mightily if they did. It takes some time to learn the nuances no matter how talented a player is. Making any judgement off one pre season game is a joke. You need to see how a young QB progresses and how he performs with the starting unit, not the 2nd or 3rd string guys. On top of the normal learning curve, Trey needs to get used to playing again after only one game in 2020.

Anyone that starts calling him a bust before he actually plays in a real game with the starters is a fool.

Nonsense. The guy threw a dropped pass on his very first attempt. He is obviously not franchise QB material.

Don't worry..

This necessary?

History also shows that only 1 QB (Elway) in the last 50 years has ever gone on to win a Super Bowl after losing their first. Is Jimmy the next Elway? I guess it's possible, but it doesn't seem that much more likely than a rookie QB winning one.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
A few good throws and everyone will be back on the Trey bandwagon.

Don't worry..

This necessary?

History also shows that only 1 QB (Elway) in the last 50 years has ever gone on to win a Super Bowl after losing their first. Is Jimmy the next Elway? I guess it's possible, but it doesn't seem that much more likely than a rookie QB winning one.

If you're comparing, the former is more likely to happen before the latter since history has shown that.
i said most of you..

Zoners had Lance from : already ready for week 1, Running the offense better than what jimmy can do and possibly being the first rookie to win a SB without taking his first snap.

We've only seen Trey with a bunch of back-ups thus far. Not really fair to make that judgement just yet.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
i said most of you..

We've only seen Trey with a bunch of back-ups thus far. Not really fair to make that judgement just yet.
he will continue to be with back ups as he's the back up right now also.

why is there a need where we need to make judgement now.. let the kid learn

Don't worry..

This necessary?

I was with you until the bolded. Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't.

Don't worry..

This necessary?

I was with you until the bolded. Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't.

The rookie QB never winning a Super Bowl so Lance can't perform better than Jimmy is the dumbest common take on this forum ATM.
Originally posted by Alfienator:

Don't worry..

This necessary?

If you're comparing, the former is more likely to happen before the latter since history has shown that.

More likely to happen, but not incredibly so IMO. There are a lot more QBs that have lost their first start in the SB than there are top-3 drafted rookie QBs who have started their rookie year on a Super Bowl caliber roster.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
i said most of you..

Yeah, major overreaction - everyone needs to take a red.
Originally posted by mayo49:
i said most of you..

Yeah, major overreaction - everyone needs to take a red.

Absolutely, he looked good with some weapons, then those weapons dropped passes on him, then they replaced them with scrubs, and a sieve like O-Line, whilst taking away his running ability.

Saturday has changed nothing for me.
I'm eager to read from the Chargers' beat writers. Get their perspective. These practices will be very intriguing, but I will say that the past two practices make it clear that Jimmy is still QB1, just in terms of reps in back to back practices. I'm less bullish on the chances of Trey starting week 1 (I still think it's the right call), but these practices and the subsequent game will be the indicator, one way or the other.

If Jimmy is still QB1 throughout this weekend, he'll enter the final preseason game (the dress rehearsal) as the starter. If there is split reps, then it'll come down to the final preseason game and the competition will be intense. And if Lance receives a majority of the reps (which I highly doubt), the Niners would start looking at cutting or restructuring Jimmy's contract.
Share 49ersWebzone