There are 132 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
YOU'RE MY BOY LANCE!!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm eager to read from the Chargers' beat writers. Get their perspective. These practices will be very intriguing, but I will say that the past two practices make it clear that Jimmy is still QB1, just in terms of reps in back to back practices. I'm less bullish on the chances of Trey starting week 1 (I still think it's the right call), but these practices and the subsequent game will be the indicator, one way or the other.

If Jimmy is still QB1 throughout this weekend, he'll enter the final preseason game (the dress rehearsal) as the starter. If there is split reps, then it'll come down to the final preseason game and the competition will be intense. And if Lance receives a majority of the reps (which I highly doubt), the Niners would start looking at cutting or restructuring Jimmy's contract.

The pendulum is swinging
Tyrod Taylor probably messaged Jimmy saying don't let the LA doctors near you with a needle.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Preach Oso

Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm eager to read from the Chargers' beat writers. Get their perspective. These practices will be very intriguing, but I will say that the past two practices make it clear that Jimmy is still QB1, just in terms of reps in back to back practices. I'm less bullish on the chances of Trey starting week 1 (I still think it's the right call), but these practices and the subsequent game will be the indicator, one way or the other.

If Jimmy is still QB1 throughout this weekend, he'll enter the final preseason game (the dress rehearsal) as the starter. If there is split reps, then it'll come down to the final preseason game and the competition will be intense. And if Lance receives a majority of the reps (which I highly doubt), the Niners would start looking at cutting or restructuring Jimmy's contract.

The pendulum is swinging

This week will be telling. If we're talking about split 1st team reps against the Chargers 1s, then I'd give the advantage to Lance to secure the starting spot. If Garoppolo is still taking the majority of 1st team reps, then he's the starter for week 1.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Warned you guys that all this excitement will create expectations....now most of you are being humbled

Don't worry..

This necessary?

My expectation hasnt changed. As soon as Kyle feels he is a starting caliber QB, he will start. And my opinion is that happens sometime in 2021.

I feel the same way but not if he plays the way he did this past Saturday. I wonder if Kyle is weighing the possibility on whether or not he can scheme wins with Lance for enough games to allow Lance to get comfortable and start controlling the offense.

But having said that, no rookie QB has ever won the SB. The ceiling of this team with Jimmy is SuperBowl win. History shows that is NOT the ceiling with a rookie QB.

I was with you until the bolded. Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't.

The rookie QB never winning a Super Bowl so Lance can't perform better than Jimmy is the dumbest common take on this forum ATM.

Only this year, with this team, the ceiling for the success of this team is higher with Jimmy than it is with Lance. NOW, since the ceiling is the Super Bowl and not 6 wins, then the starter is a no brainer. NEXT year, the ceiling for the success of this team may be higher with Lance.

Even with your "only for this year" qualifier, it doesnt make what you are saying true. The idea that a rookie QB cant win a Superbowl is ridiculous. If we took this team and our rookie QB played at 2020 Justin Herbert level, can that team not win a Superbowl?
Warned you guys that all this excitement will create expectations....now most of you are being humbled

Don't worry..

This necessary?

My expectation hasnt changed. As soon as Kyle feels he is a starting caliber QB, he will start. And my opinion is that happens sometime in 2021.

I feel the same way but not if he plays the way he did this past Saturday. I wonder if Kyle is weighing the possibility on whether or not he can scheme wins with Lance for enough games to allow Lance to get comfortable and start controlling the offense.

But having said that, no rookie QB has ever won the SB. The ceiling of this team with Jimmy is SuperBowl win. History shows that is NOT the ceiling with a rookie QB.

I was with you until the bolded. Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't.

The rookie QB never winning a Super Bowl so Lance can't perform better than Jimmy is the dumbest common take on this forum ATM.

Only this year, with this team, the ceiling for the success of this team is higher with Jimmy than it is with Lance. NOW, since the ceiling is the Super Bowl and not 6 wins, then the starter is a no brainer. NEXT year, the ceiling for the success of this team may be higher with Lance.

Even with your "only for this year" qualifier, it doesnt make what you are saying true. The idea that a rookie QB cant win a Superbowl is ridiculous. If we took this team and our rookie QB played at 2020 Justin Herbert level, can that team not win a Superbowl?
has a rookie won a SB ?

Don't worry..

This necessary?

has a rookie won a SB ?

an no team has won a SB with the QB making over 13% of the cap.

see how stupid this is lol
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Aug 17, 2021 at 4:27 PM ]

Don't worry..

This necessary?

has a rookie won a SB ?

Every year rookies win the Super Bowl. Antoine Winfield last year had the iconic picture he was a rookie
has a rookie won a SB ?

How many rookie Qbs we're put In the same situation as Lance?. Drafted by a team full of talent with good quality coaching to match. It's a young QB's dream.

Don't worry..

This necessary?

has a rookie won a SB ?

I'll play your game… so you think it's more likely for Josh Rosen to win the Super Bowl this year than Trey Lance. Interesting.

Don't worry..

This necessary?

has a rookie won a SB ?

This is such a dumb take. Do better.
has a rookie won a SB ?

No starting rookie QB has ever won a Super Bowl. We all know this by now. Before last year, no starting QB, who had won five Super Bowls, had ever won a Super Bowl before (for his 6th--I can see how some would misconstrue what I have just written.). It's a silly take, man. It's devoid of logic.

I think there a major hurdles Trey needs to overcome. I don't think the fact he is a rookie, specifically, is one of them (indirectly, being a rookie is one of them, though).
Has Jimmy G ever won a super bowl he's actually played in?
Btw I think it's impossible to properly evaluate Trey Lance until its an even field. E.g. he's getting split reps with the 1sts.

It's not a huge shock that he's raw though, is it.
Share 49ersWebzone