Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
he had to play with that thumb cuz the other option was Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson could've missed every open WR in the nfc title game too and then maybe Jimmy would've gotten us something in a trade.

as usual your logic is
against Donald, Von and Ramsey he would have looked so bad, we would be begging JG to come back, which is not far from what happened anyway.. right?

Don't call people out on logic. Have you seen your posts in the NBA, MLB, Politics threads? You get mocked in every thread by everyone lmao

you forget i got a thumbs up, that one time

Link??

Originally posted by RonnieLott:
this thread has descended into Farce now.
congrats to you and glory for making it that way
Originally posted by captveg:
I don't see the big lie you attribute to their statements. They clearly liked what Brock was showing in training camp 2022, but had no evidence to suggest it would translate to performance in games, as it was so limited in terms of snaps/opportunities. The media members have essentially confirmed this, too. That's the main reason why Brock was 3rd on the depth chart, along with having the investment in Lance that they needed to see play out, and having Garoppolo - a known commodity - surprisingly still available. It's also why they were ready to move on so quicky from both Jimmy (no interest in re-signing in 2023) and Trey (traded) once Brock had his 2022 game film and proved he was recovered from the elbow surgery by pre-season 2023. Brock was even named the starter before he returned from his rehab, so at least by the 2023 offseason they had made up their minds, but the injury recovery was the hold up, so they had to have a contingency, hence bringing in Darnold to compete with Lance.

I think you're half there, but you aren't connecting the logic you are using to correctly explain '23 to what they did in '22. If they believed Brock was the best QB on the roster in training camp, they aren't bringing back Jimmy G as a highly paid backup with large incentives for playtime, giving him control of a potential future trade, and then sliding him ahead of Brock on the depth chart. This is what team's do when they aren't confident in their starter or backup.

It's similar to moves they made in the '23 offseason but for a different reason: health of the starter. Brock wasn't healthy, his outlook for the start of the season wasn't clear, and they didn't trust Trey Lance as a number 2 option. So they brought in another highly paid backup with incentives for playing time. Again, this is what team's do when the position isn't solidified.

Look at this year. Brock is healthy. He's still dirt cheap. And we signed low dollar backups behind him. We are operating now like every other team that has a confidence in their guy… not wasting money insuring for poor play at the position.

I don't think this is a 'big lie' either. It's just an obvious one, and this type of pointless public statement from a happy Jed York is nothing new in his history.

* I should add I could completely see Kyle saying he thinks Brock might be the best QB between the QBs who actually participated in camp: Sudfeld, Lance. That's obviously believable as those two guys aren't good quarterbacks… but again the context would be missing because the idea was to develop Lance, not look at him as a ready made player and Jimmy was possibly going to be gone if someone blew them away with an offer.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jun 6, 2024 at 11:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Do you see any non-fact in my post that you are responding too? (Strawman)

I don't think it's a fact that Kyle liked Beathard more than Mahomes. That's a pretty ridiculous assumption with the only supporting evidence being a report from Peter King (I believe) that said Beathard was the only QB Kyle was willing to take in the draft. Even if that report were true, it's not actually a confirmation that he liked Beathard more than a player who was much more costly in terms of draft picks.

Isn't it widely reported that Kyle and his staff didn't really look at any of the top qbs in this draft cause they didn't play on taking one and would get cousins in FA the following year?

I think it's ridiculous that a rookie head coach wouldn't evaluate a draft with a handful of really talented qbs (Watson, mahommes etc). But I don't think that means he liked beathard more than mahommes. I think it means they wanted a young guy to draft and have as a back up in the later rounds and probably just loved beathard film and drafted him earlier than they anticipated.

Well, none of that is what happened.

What happened was Solomon Thomas got drafted at #3 overall and Beathard got drafted (3rd round) #104 overall.

Meanwhile Andy Reid made a trade with the Buffalo Bills of all teams, trading up from #27 to #10 to get a generational talent.

The Solomon Thomas pick sits over the top of this Franchise for ever.

It has cost us 2 maybe 3 Superbowl wins at least.

Thomas became the third consecutive defensive end drafted in the first round by the 49ers, joining Arik Armstead (2015) and DeForest Buckner (2016). So it was hardly a pick for need basis.

In fact, the man who drafted Thomas, 49ers general manager John Lynch—coincidentally studied alongside Thomas as a mature student while working as a broadcaster for FOX Sports at Standford, so it may have been a nepotistic pick.

Even Rubean Foster was a bad pick at 31, T J Watt was picked one before him.

If they nail the 2017 draft, we would have won at least 2 more Superbowls.

If they nail the 2017 draft they're not getting Nick Bosa.

And no amount of hindsight would result in 49ers drafting Mahomes. Because even in a hindsight redraft the Browns take him…

That means we would get Myles Garrett though…

And then likely no Bosa or Deebo. It's a trickle down effect we have no idea how it impacts our team. Maybe we're better. Maybe we're worse. But what we do know despite that 2017 first round disaster we are a SB contender.

We also know that if we're using hindsight about that draft we're still not getting Mahomes. So unless people would rather have a rapist making huge money over Brock Purdy then maybe we should stop bringing up that draft?
Are you truly a 49ers fan? Did you not watch the super bowl build up?

https://youtube.com/shorts/3HVpyHpRMZQ?si=ghaughjsZvk9P5np

Beathard wasn't picked over Mahomes. You narratives are so crazy and devoid of simple logic that you can't even realize how stupid you sound.

Did we pick Ahkello Witherspoon over Marshon Lattimore?
It honestly feels like glory isn't even old enough to watch those days. That is rare level delusion that you typically don't see in someone who has lived long enough to see those wins.

Just complete blinders on to any rational thought.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
You posting random videos has nothing to do with the nonsense you've been posting.

Take a break, have some self awareness, and be a bit humble.

Video Unavailable presents a compelling argument.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jun 7, 2024 at 7:23 AM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I'm questioning the validity of public comments that are clearly at odds with what happened in reality.

I don't see the big lie you attribute to their statements. They clearly liked what Brock was showing in training camp 2022, but had no evidence to suggest it would translate to performance in games, as it was so limited in terms of snaps/opportunities. The media members have essentially confirmed this, too. That's the main reason why Brock was 3rd on the depth chart, along with having the investment in Lance that they needed to see play out, and having Garoppolo - a known commodity - surprisingly still available. It's also why they were ready to move on so quicky from both Jimmy (no interest in re-signing in 2023) and Trey (traded) once Brock had his 2022 game film and proved he was recovered from the elbow surgery by pre-season 2023. Brock was even named the starter before he returned from his rehab, so at least by the 2023 offseason they had made up their minds, but the injury recovery was the hold up, so they had to have a contingency, hence bringing in Darnold to compete with Lance.

I believe the comment wasn't anything crazy. It was week 1 of training camp what exactly how exactly are you getting any conviction about it?

Obviously whatever Brock was showing them gave them the belief that he needs to be on the 53 man roster to start and he did nothing to change their confidence in him during the season which is why they had the faith in him to make him the starter, especially after Jimmy got hurt.

The issue of course as always glorydayz is trying to draw a crazy picture with a nugget of information - not much different than Kyle passing on Mahomes for Beathard.

Fact is Kyle wasn't comfortable being a first time HC, going to a terrible roster and handing his offense and that terrible roster to a guy many were shocked to see drafted at 10th overall pick to a playoff team...but somehow the expectation was that Shanahan should've taken Mahomes at 2...but not Cleveland at 1 who had no QB either. Kyle looked ahead to a proven guy in the NFL and his offense that wouldn't cost any draft capital and attempted to improve a terrible roster via those draft picks. Beathard was drafted 94 picks later than Mahomes. I would put a lot of money on had Mahomes been at that spot that Kyle would've drafted Mahomes and not Beathard. It's called risk vs cost.

But glory is taking a snipped of "Shanahan wanted Beathard in this draft class" and making an absurd leap. When it's pretty obvious Kyle understood he could get Beathard later in the draft and didn't need to use a first round pick on him - with the idea he would backup and develop under Cousins and not be our starter.

And in this particular case the guy is taking Jed's comment from Kyle to pretend Purdy was proven to be the clear best QB...when he hadn't played in a preseason game, let alone an actual NFL regular season game.

That's dumb. Kyle may have had an inkling about Brock's potential but Brock certainly didn't show he was the best man for the job in week 1 of training camp as a rookie.

Then again the last few pages are filled with absolutely outrageous takes by the guy. What's another one to add to the mix.
Beathard wasn't picked over Mahomes. You narratives are so crazy and devoid of simple logic that you can't even realize how stupid you sound.

Yeah, if anything we took Thomas over mahommes. lol but it's widely reported that we never really looked into the first round qbs. Beathard wasn't taken as the future of the franchise - just a guy Kyle really liked and wanted to develop. He almost always tries to take a late round qb or UDFA to develop. It finally worked out with Brock, which saved our asses.
Are you truly a 49ers fan? Did you not watch the super bowl build up?

https://youtube.com/shorts/3HVpyHpRMZQ?si=ghaughjsZvk9P5np

Your right as that would be impossible since one was drafted in the 1st and one was drafted in the 3rd.

Beathard wasn't picked over Mahomes, he was chosen by Shanahan over Mahomes who had the opportunity to pick Mahomes with the 3rd overall pick but chose to go with Solomon Thomas instead.

I don't think your logic of comparing Mahomes to a CB is worth exploring. Maybe this is why you give Kyle a pass?

Your right as that would be impossible since one was drafted in the 1st and one was drafted in the 3rd.

Beathard wasn't picked over Mahomes, he was chosen by Shanahan over Mahomes who had the opportunity to pick Mahomes with the 3rd overall pick but chose to go with Solomon Thomas instead.

I don't think your logic of comparing Mahomes to a CB is worth exploring. Maybe this is why you give Kyle a pass?

Moving the goalposts to ignore admitting how stupid your takes are is all you have left buddy.

The CB analogy was made to show you how stupid your original point was. At least now you own that stupidity.

Now since you love finding soundbites and videos to prove your point...go look up Mahomes' comments about getting to sit behind Alex Smith.

Say in your hypothetical Cleveland somehow passes on Mahomes despite needing a QB and Shanahan takes him 2nd overall. You think he's getting to learn and grow the same way? You think he gets to go out there with that 2018 Chiefs offense and build all that swagger and confidence?

I'm sure we'd see the same guy KC got for sure.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
We are the opposite of the Bill Walsh 80's 49ers. Back then our offense seemed almost automatic at the end of games and in those situations.

Andy Reid had his team coached up and ready to go when it turned into situational football. Reid wasn't drinking during the O.T rules meeting with the officials LOL.

Andy is also about 4 to 8-ish years to retirement. Kyle's 22 years younger than Reid and Reid needs overtime (same with Bill Belichick) to beat Kyle.

Andy beat him twice, didn't need overtime the first time. But he did have to come from behind to beat Kyle both times, so I guess thats how the Bengals fans feel about Bill Walsh; "HE had to come from behind to beat us in the super bowl, so we are great too!". What does age have to do with anything from a coaching standpoint?

The Rams coach is only 38 years old and he has already won a super bowl. And he had to do it at the end of the game in come back fashion. Now I believe that game was rigged but hey, he won the super bowl LOL.

Age is a big factor favoring Kyle vs Reid and Bellichick. Bill Bellichick didn't even get to his first superbowl until age 49. Reid didn't get to his first superbowl till age 49, and guess what - he lost that game.

Kyle's been to three superbowls, and he's *still* 4 years younger that both coaches currently when compared to their (Reid and Bellichick's) ages when they reached their respective *first* superbowls.

P.s. Bill Walsh didn't get to his first superbowl till age 50.

See; Sean McVay & Mike Tomlin.

They both won it at 36 years old.

Walsh got his first HC job at 47, so he got right to it.

Sean and Tomlin also lost a super bowls. Kyle dominates Sean and Tomlin's not sniffed a Superbowl in more than a decade.

Kyle also dominated McVay in the regular season, yet McVay has a ring.

Kyle is a great regular season Head Coach at this point. He's also good in the playoffs, until...

I think Kyle is going to be - eventually - a fine Super Bowl winning head coach. I just think that, because I'm an optimist. I also think that because he's getting better and better every year. He's gotten closer and closer in each Superbowl. I'm sure that's *not* going to make you any feel better, but it does make *me* feel better.

As a fellow Niner fan I am glad that you feel that way.

I think we will win again too, in fact I think Coach Shanahan will pull it off as soon as next year.

That's the spirit! Stay positive and you'll have a much more positive day.

It would be so cool to destroy KC in the Superbowl or meet up with Jim Harbaugh and destroy the Chargers a la 1994 all over again.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
We are the opposite of the Bill Walsh 80's 49ers. Back then our offense seemed almost automatic at the end of games and in those situations.

Andy Reid had his team coached up and ready to go when it turned into situational football. Reid wasn't drinking during the O.T rules meeting with the officials LOL.

Andy is also about 4 to 8-ish years to retirement. Kyle's 22 years younger than Reid and Reid needs overtime (same with Bill Belichick) to beat Kyle.

Andy beat him twice, didn't need overtime the first time. But he did have to come from behind to beat Kyle both times, so I guess thats how the Bengals fans feel about Bill Walsh; "HE had to come from behind to beat us in the super bowl, so we are great too!". What does age have to do with anything from a coaching standpoint?

The Rams coach is only 38 years old and he has already won a super bowl. And he had to do it at the end of the game in come back fashion. Now I believe that game was rigged but hey, he won the super bowl LOL.

Age is a big factor favoring Kyle vs Reid and Bellichick. Bill Bellichick didn't even get to his first superbowl until age 49. Reid didn't get to his first superbowl till age 49, and guess what - he lost that game.

Kyle's been to three superbowls, and he's *still* 4 years younger that both coaches currently when compared to their (Reid and Bellichick's) ages when they reached their respective *first* superbowls.

P.s. Bill Walsh didn't get to his first superbowl till age 50.

See; Sean McVay & Mike Tomlin.

They both won it at 36 years old.

Walsh got his first HC job at 47, so he got right to it.

Sean and Tomlin also lost a super bowls. Kyle dominates Sean and Tomlin's not sniffed a Superbowl in more than a decade.

Kyle also dominated McVay in the regular season, yet McVay has a ring.

Kyle is a great regular season Head Coach at this point. He's also good in the playoffs, until...

I think Kyle is going to be - eventually - a fine Super Bowl winning head coach. I just think that, because I'm an optimist. I also think that because he's getting better and better every year. He's gotten closer and closer in each Superbowl. I'm sure that's *not* going to make you any feel better, but it does make *me* feel better.

Only reason McVay even won is because s**tty Jimmy was playing with a thumb and shoulder injury in the NFCC…but you know players have zero impact on winning and losing. That victory was solely because of McVay.

Agree,💯% that's the BIGGEST negative I have for Jimmy. He just can't stay healthy.

Also agree, that Losing a Superbowl is a team accomplishment. I think Glory is conflating causation and responsibility. i.e. *what caused the loss* vs *who's responsible for the loss.* Those are two different issues in my opinion.

Facts

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Very good post! I have been waiting for this response hence me stating over and over again that Shanahan is responsible for EVERYTHING football related with our team. I had to throw in that little nugget, Good or Bad, for someone to catch on but I can take that.

If he's credited for CMC's TD's he's also responsible for the fumbles. If he's credited for the great offense, defense, and ST game plans he's also responsible for the ones that fail. If he's responsible for Robert Saleh, Mike McDaniel, and Demeco Ryans success then he is responsible for Steve Wilks failure.

NO EXCUSES

Well, Wilks was fired after the Superbowl. There is an argument to be made that it was *Wilk's* fault for letting Patrick score on that last drive vs Kyle. I dunno if you'll buy that argument though. Probably not.

Thats leadership!

Accountability on Kyle's part.

With regards to Kyle's Superbowl losses, aside from injuries -- Kyle's defenses have had issues. So from a wholistic standpoint, if Kyle can get much more durable players and get and *keep* great defensive coaches. He will have a dynasty all over again with Brock turning into a generational level talent.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I know what you mean man, I watched Bill Walsh take a 2-14 ('79) team to super bowl champions ("81) in 2 years. This was back when football was tough and offered no special protections to players including QB's. There was no such thing as free agency the way we know it today, so he had to build through the draft and come up with schemes and concepts and drill it into the guys around him. The draft was like 2 million rounds long and he chose great players like Dwight Clark (2x Super Bowl Champion) in the 10th round and Jesse Sapolu (4x Super Bowl Champion) in the 11th round. Even when Coach Walsh left the team they continued to win because his hand picked successor kept winning. The team one for nearly 2 decades!!!

Thats the 49ers standard, and thats what we will always be compared to. This new "almost won" culture is exactly what Coach Walsh guided guys away from. Its a new day, but the standard doesn't change.

Oh, and Walsh made it look easy.

Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh had scheme advantages. Lombardi picked a lot of great African American players on his team when most teams shied away from playing minorities during those days. Walsh took advantage of the new passing rules and revolutionized the passing game. Kyle's father had a scheme advantage by melding the WCO with the Outside zone. Kyle - I think - is going to advance football further with Brock, possibly the way the old greats did in the past. I think he has the brains for it, and he has the QB that can operate any offensive revolution that Kyle could come up with. We shall see.

What were the rules that changed in the passing game? 5 yard rule?

Allowed the OLinemen to open their hands in pass protection. Disallowed the Lester Hay's molesting the WR all the way down to the back endzone, and only allowed DB's to hit/jam the WR five yards from the LOS. I think those were the main rules changes in the '80's.
Share 49ersWebzone