There are 208 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So you're saying he would've transitioned fine on a team with one of thee most worst rosters the 9ers have had in a while. Not to mention a bottom ranked defense? And there's no doubt he would've been who he is today?

That's funny, because he looked pretty average this past season when he didn't have receivers. Imagine how he would've looked on the 2017 roster starting as rookie!!!

I think Smokeys point is more he'd excel with Shanahan.

Mahomes was seen as a late 1st rounder on draft day. Chiefs actually got graded poorly for moving up to get him. Obviously they were right in hindsight.

Two excellent QB's that fell during the draft - Aaron Rogers and Dan Marino - but they definitely outperformed their draft place. I think Kyle would have helped Alex perform better than Erickson/Nolan, for sure. But I also think Kyle would have moved on from Alex Smith, the way Kyle moved on from Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance a lot sooner than when Harbaugh traded him to KC in Alex's 8th year in the NFL. I.e. Kyle would have moved on from Alex in Alex's fourth year.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Kyle shouldn't even be ranked that high.

Kyle living rent free bud.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Kyle was just ranked the 4th best coach in NFL. Behind Read, Tomlin and McVay. Can someone please tell me why McVay continues to be ranked ahead of Kyle? I think that is ridiculous!

Everybody has opinions, theirs and yours are as good as anybody's. Just my opinion, but if a Coach generally ends up deep in the playoffs and in the Superbowl twice in the last five years - he ain't doing too bad.

Yeah that's the hope. We have an excellent football mind, that's young, as our HC. We have a special young qb (IMO) that's accomplished a ton in just 1.5 years of playing. The most promising part is that the front office has shown the ability to continually find talent and manage the salary cap. Which should enable us to compete for a long time without everything being on our offense to out score everyone.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Kyle was just ranked the 4th best coach in NFL. Behind Read, Tomlin and McVay. Can someone please tell me why McVay continues to be ranked ahead of Kyle? I think that is ridiculous!

Everybody has opinions, theirs and yours are as good as anybody's. Just my opinion, but if a Coach generally ends up deep in the playoffs and in the Superbowl twice in the last five years - he ain't doing too bad.

Yeah that's the hope. We have an excellent football mind, that's young, as our HC. We have a special young qb (IMO) that's accomplished a ton in just 1.5 years of playing. The most promising part is that the front office has shown the ability to continually find talent and manage the salary cap. Which should enable us to compete for a long time without everything being on our offense to out score everyone.

Why over Tomlin? Dude hasn't done s**t in over 15 years. He was given a Super Bowl winning team and first ballot HOF QB.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 8, 2024 at 12:58 PM ]

no. it doesnt change anything. even with these new titles, he wouldve been suspended.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dom-disandros-new-title-wont-circumvent-the-rule-that-knocked-him-off-the-sideline-last-year
[ Edited by boast on Jun 8, 2024 at 12:52 PM ]
I know it's only mini camp and there aren't pads but I'm really encouraged by what I'm hearing about the corners. I think we have a chance to do what KC did last year - which was have 4 awesome corners to compliment their pass rush and make it insanely hard for teams to score on them.

Demo & Mooney are studs. Apparently Luter and Yiadom look really good (I really liked Luter last year and was bummed that he got hurt). If we can have those four all play at a high level, coupled with our pass rush (should be highly improved with our signings)… man we would be a nightmare.

our defenses stats were misleading last year, IMO. So they can actually get back to 2019 or 2021 form… damn id love our chances.
I know it's only mini camp and there aren't pads but I'm really encouraged by what I'm hearing about the corners. I think we have a chance to do what KC did last year - which was have 4 awesome corners to compliment their pass rush and make it insanely hard for teams to score on them.

Demo & Mooney are studs. Apparently Luter and Yiadom look really good (I really liked Luter last year and was bummed that he got hurt). If we can have those four all play at a high level, coupled with our pass rush (should be highly improved with our signings)… man we would be a nightmare.

our defenses stats were misleading last year, IMO. So they can actually get back to 2019 or 2021 form… damn id love our chances.

Really just hoping our answer(s) at DC are a hit. I def think we have the players.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So you're saying he would've transitioned fine on a team with one of thee most worst rosters the 9ers have had in a while. Not to mention a bottom ranked defense? And there's no doubt he would've been who he is today?

That's funny, because he looked pretty average this past season when he didn't have receivers. Imagine how he would've looked on the 2017 roster starting as rookie!!!

I think Smokeys point is more he'd excel with Shanahan.

Mahomes was seen as a late 1st rounder on draft day. Chiefs actually got graded poorly for moving up to get him. Obviously they were right in hindsight.

Sorry but no. He would not have excelled under Kyle. You guys are too much. He has 3 titles under a better coach and you're actually saying he would be even better under a coach who has none and has no real qb development to brag about. Give me what you're smoking cause it's the best s**t on the planet. If you say Kyle is responsible for Brock then I know you have no hope for redemption.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Sorry but no. He would not have excelled under Kyle. You guys are too much. He has 3 titles under a better coach and you're actually saying he would be even better under a coach who has none and has no real qb development to brag about. Give me what you're smoking cause it's the best s**t on the planet. If you say Kyle is responsible for Brock then I know you have no hope for redemption.

Lol. Nobody said he'd be better as far as I can tell… just that he'd still be the best QB in the league. That's because of his individual skillset. Reid has harnessed his skills and you see elite production. Just like Kyle has done with a much less talented player in Brock, and to a lesser extent Jimmy G (and Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, RG3 briefly, Brian Hoyer, Nick Mullens).

There isn't a single QB that has started any significant length of time under Kyle who has performed better with anybody else. Some of that is merely a product of timing and circumstance. Either way, there's nothing to support the idea that he has 'no real QB development to brag about' and a mountain of evidence against it. Just stupid as hell.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Lol. Nobody said he'd be better as far as I can tell… just that he'd still be the best QB in the league. That's because of his individual skillset. Reid has harnessed his skills and you see elite production. Just like Kyle has done with a much less talented player in Brock, and to a lesser extent Jimmy G (and Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, RG3 briefly, Brian Hoyer, Nick Mullens).

There isn't a single QB that has started any significant length of time under Kyle who has performed better with anybody else. Some of that is merely a product of timing and circumstance. Either way, there's nothing to support the idea that he has 'no real QB development to brag about' and a mountain of evidence against it. Just stupid as hell.

He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

Not every player is capable of being a HoFer. There isn't a coach alive that can 'develop' a guy like Jimmy G into a legendary player. Job is to put the players in a position to maximize their effectiveness. Kyle has one of the best track records with his QBs relative to their abilities.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jun 8, 2024 at 2:33 PM ]

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

players develop themselves.

Kyle has taken damn near every QB he's been given and gotten the most out of them. That goes back to the Schaub days.

Really just hoping our answer(s) at DC are a hit. I def think we have the players.

Yeah, I still don't know what to think about Nick Sorensen but the rest of the inexperienced guys Kyle hired ended up being slam dunks (saleh & demeco), so I'm optimistic. I really liked the Wilks hiring but that was a let down.

At least he's a guy who's familiar with our players and scheme, since he's been on the staff. Hopefully he's it's a seamless transition. I'm praying lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:

players develop themselves.

Kyle has taken damn near every QB he's been given and gotten the most out of them. That goes back to the Schaub days.
I especially like what he did with Trey Lance
Share 49ersWebzone