There are 258 users in the forums

Week 13 vs Miami Dolphins Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey y'all, so I didn't get to much Purdy film on this breakdown I covered a handful of plays. There were a TON of plays to cover with both QB's having a number of incompletions. I think that was the most plays I've seen in a game this year so there was a massive amount of film to work through.

I wanted to touch on the defense, run game and Purdy so it's all there. I'm going to get a special video on out Purdy specifically at the end of the week so I will get a more comprehensive look at the guy. I watched all his plays twice so I have a real good feel for how he played though.

Nice work!
Woo, thanks Jonny!

Yeah, it looks like the film of the 49ers defense vs. the Dolphins offense was fun to watch. It did seem like Demeco Ryans and Mike McDaniel had a bit of a chess match, and the players on both sides of the ball made plays. It also seemed like the pass rush and our linebackers' ability to cover the middle of the field explicitly affected Tua on a number of throws... and that probably affected Tua on other plays, where he just never seemed seemed comfortable, even with appropriate time and a good decision.

Feels like we're cleaning up some stuff on offense, but that play design where Jimmy got injured is a concern. You mentioned Kurt Warner has pointed this out before too. It kind of boggles my mind that we have play design that exposes the quarterback like that where he doesn't have a strong outlet.

Looking forward to the Purdy breakdowns!
[ Edited by Wubbie on Dec 6, 2022 at 11:19 PM ]
lol thought it was going to be different.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
lol thought it was going to be different.

What did you think it was going to be?
Film review of the game by Jack Hammer (All plays, both Jimmy and Brock):

https://youtu.be/BSlejkioizQ

Jimmy's miss TD to AB and his injury: 6:00-8:00 of video, the play before the injury, as Jack Hammer said, Jimmy should have went to a wide open AB for the TD and the drive would have been over 7-7, instead he threw to Kittle late and pass easily broken up, next play he takes 2 guys on him and try to gain some yards for whatever reason and sustain the broken foot.
Everything happens for a reason, now it's Purdy time Baby! GO PURDY! Get behind the kid, SB OR BUST!!!!
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Dec 7, 2022 at 4:00 AM ]
You stated that it was a coaching point to have the safety cover the dig on the play where Hill scored a TD. It looked like from the film that there were two defenders covering the dig route. What advantage is there to have two defenders cover the dig and have only the corner with outside leverage cover the post?
Originally posted by YACBros85:
You stated that it was a coaching point to have the safety cover the dig on the play where Hill scored a TD. It looked like from the film that there were two defenders covering the dig route. What advantage is there to have two defenders cover the dig and have only the corner with outside leverage cover the post?

Thats just how Saban notates how to cover "houston" which is what he calls a Mills concept, in cover 7 - which is a palms.

The idea is that it frees up the Mike to cover anything in and short from the #3.

I wish I had a little better detailed explanation but that's what is in his playbook. I'm sure there's a more detailed explanation in meetings but I had to find the written out matching responsibilities for that concept was on page like 258 of 548 pages.

The vast majority of defensive playbooks spend time on run fits for every coverage and offensive formation and blitzes. Of dabans playbook it's probably 250 pages of fits, 100-150 pages of terms and random section breaks or headers, then 100-150 of coverages.

Same thing with Pete Carrols playbooknin Seattle. Similar breakdown, just smaller. 258 pages I think.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Thats just how Saban notates how to cover "houston" which is what he calls a Mills concept, in cover 7 - which is a palms.

The idea is that it frees up the Mike to cover anything in and short from the #3.

I wish I had a little better detailed explanation but that's what is in his playbook. I'm sure there's a more detailed explanation in meetings but I had to find the written out matching responsibilities for that concept was on page like 258 of 548 pages.

The vast majority of defensive playbooks spend time on run fits for every coverage and offensive formation and blitzes. Of dabans playbook it's probably 250 pages of fits, 100-150 pages of terms and random section breaks or headers, then 100-150 of coverages.

Same thing with Pete Carrols playbooknin Seattle. Similar breakdown, just smaller. 258 pages I think.

Thank you for the explanation. It just seems like an impossible task for a corner to cover that post route with outside leverage. Should Ward not have taken the outside leverage or was he correct in doing so?

This was the most inaccurate I've ever seen Tua, even when he clearly had time and guys running wide open...and there were a lot. I think the LB's and pass rush did a really nice job contributing to that but we've got to clean up quite a bit still in coverage if we want to make a Championship run. Either way, it was a significant result that greatly improved from the Kansas City game. So good to have AA back. And J.Ward seems to be growing into the slot role and even seems to be enjoying it. Loved the RZ design with CMC.

Thank you for the explanation. It just seems like an impossible task for a corner to cover that post route with outside leverage. Should Ward not have taken the outside leverage or was he correct in doing so?

So I reached out to a former NFL QB who came up under Reid. He stays pretty anonymous, but I asked him about this play and he said the same thing I did. They matched it correctly just got beat by Hill on a well executed play.

So I reached out to a former NFL QB who came up under Reid. He stays pretty anonymous, but I asked him about this play and he said the same thing I did. They matched it correctly just got beat by Hill on a well executed play.

Thank you. Much appreciated.
So we were discussing last week in the Kyle Shanahan thread about our redzone offense. We have had a few games where we have been pretty good but a majority our games we have gone 40% or less this season and 4 games where we have gone 2 of 5. Have you seen anything schematically that has prevented us from being more efficient in the redzone or is just an execution issue?
  • thl408
Nice ones showing how Warner's range forces inaccurate throws, AA helping Bosa get sacks, and how a quick screen (CMC) can beat a crowded box.
I thought one of the keys to the defense having a good day was being able to stop MIA's run game while in a 2 deep shell. This allowed the 49ers to stay 2 high and help defend the pass. They did sprinkle in Cover3, but it seemed like it was when they wanted to, never because they had to, which might have been the case had MIA been able to run the ball (suck it, Mostert). Ridgeway will be missed, and with Kinlaw out, it'll be Givens at 2i. At least that's what I saw when AA and Givens were in.

Tua was inaccurate like you showed, and I thought the pass rush picked up the coverage on the backend a number of times. I thought Ryans would mix it up more coverage wise (man vs zone) to help combat the RPO game, but it was very clearly a zone dominant gameplan.

Brock did many good things for a rookie coming in cold. There was one Sail concept (vs Cover3) where the playside CB squatted on the Sail route. Brock held and held and waited for the CB to bail, then targeted TKroft along the sideline. Had Brock thrown it on time, the pass would have been contested/INTed. His patience in the pocket was abnormal for a rookie QB - no wasted movements the pocket. When he had time, he used it well instead of unnecessarily panicking. Don't want to get too hyped, but it was an excellent showing as he displayed courage to throw into tight windows, elusiveness, and accuracy.
Share 49ersWebzone