LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 179 users in the forums

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🏆 SUPER BOWL LVIII PREGAME THREAD - SF 49ERS vs KC CHIEFS 🏆

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Last time the 49ers played the Chiefs, Andy Reid GASHED them with jet sweeps. I hope to God that Wilks is preparing for that because you know it's coming.

Well the same style runs that the packers did, lions implemented, as well as power runs. That was by far the worst our run d has looked.

never thought ferrell would be that big of a loss. Lol

Ferrell was a huge loss to this defense on early downs. Hopefully we can switch up scheme a bit & find a way to get off the field

Chase young is learning that when you're on a contender - you have to preserve your body and be in better shape. He's always been on a bum team, so his season was over a month ago. He even talked about how exhausted he is. Lol

this is why bosa is on the lower side of snaps for guys at his level - we try to preserve his reps and
not burn him out for this time of year.

id be curious to see him spend an off season with nick and learn how to be a pro on a contender. He gets a lot of flack on here, some deservedly so, but I'd still like to resign him on the cheap and see how he develops with an off season here.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Now this thread is coming into fruition. After 24 hours of excitement and celebration, reality hits. How do you stop the current GOAT when you have a defensive coordinator that lacks imagination and creativity? For all you guys that think Wilks is in his mad scientist laboratory scheming up a game plan that will befuddle Reid and Mahomes, keep dreaming.

Wilks is going to come out the same exact way he came out against GB. The same way he came out against Detroit. See how the jet sweep got Detroit a TD on that first down ? Watch KC exploit it over and over, and Wilks will have that "I didn't know they do that" look on his face. Of course, once Kyle starts screaming in his ear, he'll adjust. But by then Mahomes will have run up the score, and unlike Love and Goff, Mahomes is not going to crack under pressure.

We are at a severe disadvantage here folks. SEVERE disadvantage
Originally posted by DrEll:
Now this thread is coming into fruition. After 24 hours of excitement and celebration, reality hits. How do you stop the current GOAT when you have a defensive coordinator that lacks imagination and creativity? For all you guys that think Wilks is in his mad scientist laboratory scheming up a game plan that will befuddle Reid and Mahomes, keep dreaming.

Wilks is going to come out the same exact way he came out against GB. The same way he came out against Detroit. See how the jet sweep got Detroit a TD on that first down ? Watch KC exploit it over and over, and Wilks will have that "I didn't know they do that" look on his face. Of course, once Kyle starts screaming in his ear, he'll adjust. But by then Mahomes will have run up the score, and unlike Love and Goff, Mahomes is not going to crack under pressure.

Wilks is a below avg DC, has been propped up to be avg because of the players on this team. Carolina easily gave him up, and look at history - teams let him go every 1,2,3 years, no consistency or coaching prowess seen anywhere so far. I think there are a lot of coaches on this team, incl Kyle, who help him out. It's ok if this was an avg team like Carolina, and it's the 2nd regular season game, etc.
This is a tough one to overcome.

Still s**tting your pants about facing the rams or dallas

your s**t is old
Every nfl message board I have looked at has KC winning due to the coaching matchups.

Doesn't mean we can't win. But it would take a near perfect game.
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Every nfl message board I have looked at has KC winning due to the coaching matchups.

Luckily message boards don't determine the outcome

They said the same thing when they played the bucs
Run the ball, control the clock, keep Mahomes off the field. Easy win.

You must sleep with the lights on.

Meh I agree with this in spirit, but not totally. Jameson Williams is a secret stud that has been under utilized in that offense. They gave him touches and he showed out against us. It was noted the Lions OLine was great and they have Gibbs, Montgomery, and the sun god. I really dont think guys like Valdez Dangling, Toney, and even Rice can run jet sweeps like Williams did.

I think our main problem is our straight up run defense between the tackles and outside zones. It's been abysmal. Another problem is Kelce and the final problem is our kicker. I think the offense will show up just fine. I don't think the jet sweeps will be as effective.

I really think the Super Bowl was winnable this year for my Pack.

Fade the public.

Doesn't always work, but it's a winning strategy.
Who do you guys think was better this year the Packers or Lions?
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Fade the public.

Doesn't always work, but it's a winning strategy.

Obviously Reid is an all time great coach but Kyle isn't a scrub. He's already etched himself into the record books - has just as many playoff wins as his father (still working on the SB). So they have an advantage but I don't think it's by much.

we have the better all around squad. They have the best player in the league though, obviously.

if our team plays ball like it is capable of, we have a great chance at winning. This is the weakest chiefs team we have seen in years, but I don't think they're bad.

i think it's up to the O. They need to put up 34+ And win the turnover battle to win it.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by thl408:
bump so Heroism sees it. We need ideas for Wilks lol

What about something simple like standing the ends up instead of changing their actual technique. This way you improve their visibility to see incoming motions or identify tighter splits by the receivers. I noticed he stood Chase up yesterday, but it was mainly to drop for zone blitzing.

Saw your post about it being difficult to change up technique. Perhaps just one of the DTs in a hybrid front (most DL are one gapping, only one DLman is two gapping). SEA used to do this with Red Bryant. AA has two gapped before in college and Sheldon-Day two gapped (1.5) before coming to SF. But to your point, yeah that's a big ask to change technique this late in the season.

Perhaps use a traditional 4-3 alignment with the DEs in a 5t. Like you said, stand them up on run/pass neutral downs? Maybe use the amoeba front where a bunch of guys are standing up moving around before the snap? I wonder what the corrections are that Wilks is referring to. Better be scheme related and not just "try harder guys!".
Share 49ersWebzone