"That's the message that came through, and I respect it," Foster said on Saturday regarding the conversation he had with general manager John Lynch and company. "They stood by me, though. A brotherhood."
Foster appears to be on a short leash following a drama-filled offseason that could have quickly ended his NFL career. Instead, he will miss just two games to start the regular season.
"That's painful," Foster said of the suspension. "It's football. It's something I do, something I love. It is what it is. You accept the consequences. You move on. You take, and you move on. You learn from it too, and you grow from it."
Foster was arrested twice this offseason. The first time on January 12 for second-degree possession of marijuana in Alabama and a second time on February 11 for suspected domestic violence.
RELATED
The judge in the case stemming from the second arrest later dropped the more serious charges leaving Foster sentenced to probation and community service for a remaining weapons charge. The linebacker completed a diversion course in Alabama, which allowed the first case to be dismissed.
Saturday was the first time Foster spoke with the media since the arrests. He had his typical smile and knew the tough questions would come, but he didn't want to discuss the arrests in too much detail.
One detail Foster was willing to share was his appreciation for teammates like Richard Sherman, who supported him through the process and were there for him in the courtroom.
"I respect Richard Sherman for that," Foster said. "Coming to court, supporting me. Just being there for me. In the hard times, he don't know truth or false but, at the same time, he waited patiently just like me."
Foster knows he will have to work even harder from here on out. He acknowledged that he has to work as hard at life as he does at football.
"It made me appreciate football a lot better," Foster said. "It was crazy knowing that football can be gone. But just being back on this field with my brothers and these coaches is a blessing."
Related News
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
Kyle Shanahan opens up about 49ers' risk of losing Robert Saleh again
The San Francisco 49ers are banking on Robert Saleh to revitalize a defense that struggled last season. Returning for his second stint as defensive coordinator with the team after serving as head coach of the New York Jets, Saleh replaces Nick Sorensen and becomes the 49ers'... -
John Lynch: 49ers deal with Brock Purdy before offseason program possible, but not guaranteed
San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch spoke with reporters Monday at the NFL's annual league meeting in Florida, addressing contract negotiations with quarterback Brock Purdy—while keeping details to a minimum. One thing, however, was clear when asked if Purdy... -
John Lynch defends 49ers' offseason approach: 'We still have a lot of Hall of Fame-worthy players'
The San Francisco 49ers have taken an aggressive approach in past offseasons, determined to push their Super Bowl window as far as possible. After coming painfully close to securing a championship last year, that urgency remained heading into the 2024 season. However, after a... -
Among 49ers' offseason priorities: Fix the run defense
The San Francisco 49ers struggled against the run in 2024, allowing 124.6 rushing yards per game, ranking 18th in the NFL. The unit surrendered 24 rushing touchdowns. Only the Dallas Cowboys allowed more (25). Opponents averaged 4.4 yards per carry against them, tying for 12th...