The Carolina Panthers signed safety Eric Reid to a one-year deal on Thursday morning. They may have had some competition from the 49ers, according to a report from Jim Trotter. Apparently, San Francisco was also interested in signing Reid, but to a multi-year deal.
Update: Matt Barrows of The Athletic reports that the 49ers offered Reid a one-year deal this week, which conflicts with Trotter's report.
Head coach Kyle Shanahan said in August that the door was open for Eric Reid to rejoin the 49ers, but it would have to be as a backup. The team is set with Tartt and Colbert as its starters so if Reid wanted to return, he would have to accept the role.
"I don't think that's what Eric wants," Shanahan said last month. "I told you the reason we decided to go that direction is because we made a tough decision, but we had to do it. We went with Tartt. We thought that was the right way to go. You can't give a lot of money to backups, and that's what he would be if he came here.
"But, I like Eric. Eric is a good player. He's a good person. That'd be great if we could add him in that role. I don't think he would be that interested in it."
Reid will be a starter in Carolina, so he likely weighed his options and saw joining the Panthers as the better option. The Pro Bowl safety spent his first five NFL seasons in San Francisco.
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
49ers showing pre-draft interest in Texas Tech TE Jalin Conyers
The San Francisco 49ers are among the teams expressing interest in Texas Tech tight end Jalin Conyers, according to Justin Melo of The Draft Network. .@TexasTechFB TE Jalin Conyers at the NFL Combine: 1st in three-cone (6.94) & shuttle (4.27). Top-5 in Vert (35.45") +... -
NFL exec doubts Brock Purdy gets top-market deal from 49ers
Speculation continues to swirl around what kind of contract extension quarterback Brock Purdy might receive from the San Francisco 49ers. Will he land a deal comparable to Dak Prescott's $60 million annual average, or will his salary fall further down the list, possibly outside... -
John Lynch: 49ers deal with Brock Purdy before offseason program possible, but not guaranteed
San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch spoke with reporters Monday at the NFL's annual league meeting in Florida, addressing contract negotiations with quarterback Brock Purdy—while keeping details to a minimum. One thing, however, was clear when asked if Purdy... -
Jed York: Brock Purdy is a top-10 QB, and 49ers deal 'shouldn't be that hard'
San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York is steering clear of the contract negotiations between the team and quarterback Brock Purdy. The goal is to secure a long-term extension that would make Purdy one of the NFL's highest-paid players. The challenge lies in determining fair...