The team also activated two players from the practice squad in linebacker Mark Nzeocha and recently-added cornerback Darqueze Dennard. In addition, linebacker Curtis Robinson was activated from the practice squad as a COVID-19 replacement.
The 49ers now have a more complete secondary than they did earlier in the week, when Johnson, Williams, Ward, and cornerbacks Ambry Thomas and Deommodore Lenoir were placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. Thomas was activated on Friday, while no moves have been announced regarding Lenoir.
Also of note: No moves were made regarding practice squad quarterback Nate Sudfeld, which means the 49ers are prepared to head into Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Rams with Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance as their quarterbacks. Garoppolo missed last week's 23-7 win over the Houston Texans with a thumb injury but now appears medically cleared to play and may return to the starting lineup on Sunday.
49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans told reporters on Thursday that the defensive backs who were on the COVID list were still participating in meetings and would be ready to play if cleared.
"The best part about it is we've had all our meetings virtual," Ryans said. "So all those guys have been in the meetings. They understand the game plan. So our guys, they've been locked in mentally. The guys who are on that list, they've played a lot of ball for us, so they understand our scheme, what we're trying to do defensively. Those guys, we'll be grateful to have them back as soon as we can get them back, but I think there won't be any mental hurdles for our guys. They'll be able to plug right back in and get out there and help us."
49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan commented on Moseley's progress in a media session on Friday.
"I thought he had a good week," Shanahan said. "We really only go full speed on Thursday, which guys like him, [LB Dre] Greenlaw, [LB] Azeez [Al-Shaair], guys who haven't had a chance to do it for a little bit, you'd like to go full speed for them all three days. But with where the team's at, you can't do that. So I was excited about him on Thursday, had a good walkthrough today, so I feel good about him being ready this week."
Related News
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
Lance Zierlein mock draft: 49ers upgrade O-line with three-year starter
NFL analyst Lance Zierlein has released his third mock draft of the year for NFL.com, projecting the San Francisco 49ers to address what many see as one of their biggest needs heading into the 2025 season—the offensive line. With the draft just weeks away, the 49ers have... -
49ers Named As Potential Trade Destination for All-Pro DE Trey Hendrickson
As higher-profile contract talks continue between the San Francisco 49ers and quarterback Brock Purdy, the team is still putting in plenty of time looking at ways to upgrade their defensive line, which (like the rest of the 49ers' defensive unit) struggled mightily in... -
Florio: Brock Purdy may never become a top QB, so why should the 49ers pay him like one?
Mike Florio's hot takes frequently spark debate among NFL fans, and his latest comments about San Francisco 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy will probably be no exception. As the 49ers enter contract extension talks with Purdy—talks expected to make him one of the NFL's... -
49ers surpass Ravens for rushing records after NFL incorporates AAFC stats
The 2019 Baltimore Ravens rushed for an impressive 3,296 yards during the regular season, setting what was then the NFL record for most rushing yards in a single season—until now. This week, the NFL announced it would begin incorporating statistics from the All-America...