Trey Lance's brother, Bryce, recently shared a video update on the quarterback. Lance can be seen doing some light work, putting pressure on his ankle.
Lance, last year's No. 3 overall pick, is expected to be ready for the 2023 season. He entered this season as the 49ers' starting quarterback but was replaced by Jimmy Garoppolo after going down in Week 2.
Some thought that Lance might be healthy enough to at least return as Garoppolo's backup should the 49ers make a deep playoff run. The 49ers have insisted that Lance's injury was a season-ender since it occurred. However, that hasn't stopped reporters from asking about the possibility.
"I haven't been told there's a chance," head coach Kyle Shanahan said on Wednesday. "I think things would have to be pretty drastic. I mean, we weren't expecting that much from the beginning. I think he's right on schedule with everything, but I have not been told there's a chance."
General manager John Lynch acknowledges that Lance is moving well but says a January return might be a stretch.
"I don't see that as a possibility," Lynch said. "He did a number on his ankle. He'll be fine long-term, but that's a big ask to get back this year. We're just really encouraged by the way it's responding and by the way Trey has been working to try to make it as good as possible.
"Trey's doing a great job, going to every meeting, supporting his teammates. He's well-liked. He and Jimmy have a tremendous relationship. Jimmy, when he was the backup, did everything he could to make things as good as possible for Trey, and Trey is doing the same thing in turn."
More San Francisco 49ers News
-
Lance Zierlein mock draft: 49ers upgrade O-line with three-year starter
NFL analyst Lance Zierlein has released his third mock draft of the year for NFL.com, projecting the San Francisco 49ers to address what many see as one of their biggest needs heading into the 2025 season—the offensive line. With the draft just weeks away, the 49ers have... -
49ers add 'arguably the draft's best zone cover cornerback' in PFF mock
John Kosko of Pro Football Focus (PFF) released his latest mock draft, projecting the San Francisco 49ers to pass on bolstering the trenches in the first round. Instead, he has them selecting Texas cornerback Jahdae Barron with the 11th overall pick. Deommodore Lenoir and... -
Pair of 2nd-year 49ers players switch jersey numbers
The San Francisco 49ers' offseason roster changes have allowed two second-year players to update their jersey numbers. Quarterback Tanner Mordecai, currently the team's third quarterback behind Brock Purdy and Mac Jones, has switched from No. 4 to No. 14. San Francisco 49ers... -
Former 49ers foe joining 3rd team in 3 years
Russell Wilson's time with the Pittsburgh Steelers lasted just one season. The veteran quarterback, a longtime nemesis of the San Francisco 49ers, is reportedly signing a one-year, $10.5 million deal with the New York Giants, which could rise to $21 million with...