LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 197 users in the forums

OL Jonathan Cooper

Goodwin was one of these small less important (we thought) signings last year so you never know.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would be a major disappointment. The guards on the roster are either huge question marks or busts.

Aside from Quenton Nelson and Isaiah Wynn would any rookie be better than the 3 guys we have?
Moves well on film, might be better in a zone blocking scheme. It's a one year deal, if he shows something great, if not cut him and move on. I'm sure he's not the last guard we sign or draft before camp.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Moves well on film, might be better in a zone blocking scheme. It's a one year deal, if he shows something great, if not cut him and move on. I'm sure he's not the last guard we sign or draft before camp.

• thl408
Cowpies scouting report when they acquired him:
----------------
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/03/15/scouting-report-re-visiting-game-tape-new-og-jonathan-cooper (snippets below)
Games Studied: 2016, with Cleveland Browns, vs. Cincinnati (twice), Buffalo, San Diego
His game is in his mobility. He is not going to overwhelm you with his power. He gets position, balances and seals.
He doesn't play with much pop. He likes to get his hands inside, then work to steer the defender.
It was surprising how well he played against Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins. Copper handled his quickness and power well in the game. He also did a nice job of passing off twists and stunts that the Bengals tried to throw at him.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
He started 13 games for the Cowboys last season... I really don't think we're bringing him in to be fodder... I think we're bringing him in to compete for a starting job.

I think that's why many are worried.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Wheres adam snyder when u need him

Larry Allen would be good
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Cowpies scouting report when they acquired him:
----------------
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/03/15/scouting-report-re-visiting-game-tape-new-og-jonathan-cooper (snippets below)
Games Studied: 2016, with Cleveland Browns, vs. Cincinnati (twice), Buffalo, San Diego
His game is in his mobility. He is not going to overwhelm you with his power. He gets position, balances and seals.
He doesn't play with much pop. He likes to get his hands inside, then work to steer the defender.
It was surprising how well he played against Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins. Copper handled his quickness and power well in the game. He also did a nice job of passing off twists and stunts that the Bengals tried to throw at him.
Well there we have it, better in a zone blocking scheme where he can move. Played in the wrong scheme so let's see how he does in a system the suits him. That's what I like about Shanahan, he studies a player to make sure he fits
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
He started 13 games for the Cowboys last season... I really don't think we're bringing him in to be fodder... I think we're bringing him in to compete for a starting job.

I think that's why many are worried.

Lynch already stated he hopes he competes for a starting spot
  • thl408
This article is more detailed (from Jan 2017).

https://www.fanragsports.com/cowboys/film-room-cowboys-see-jonathan-cooper/
Run blocking:
He's not a particularly powerful player. Instead, he often just gets in the way of defenders. And depending on the scheme, that's not necessarily a bad thing. But where Cooper really excels is when he's asked to get to the second level. His ability to help and then get into the chest of linebackers is actually quite impressive. Where Cooper gets into trouble is when he's asked to play in power schemes or in short yardage situations. He just doesn't have the natural power to dominate defenders off the line of scrimmage.
Pass Blocking:
Cooper lacks natural power, but his feet save him in pass protection. He uses his athleticism and balance to constantly get his body in the right position.
Weaknesses:
Cooper has two flaws in his game. The first being that there were multiple missed calls. His biggest problem though is lack of strength, which has been discussed.
[ Edited by thl408 on Mar 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM ]

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Well there we have it, better in a zone blocking scheme where he can move. Played in the wrong scheme so let's see how he does in a system the suits him. That's what I like about Shanahan, he studies a player to make sure he fits

As I said. Ideal for a zone scheme.

He is ultra athletic and if Shanahan can make Brandon Fusco look like he belongs in the league he can do the same with Cooper.

LT- Joe Staley / Darrell Williams
LG- Jonathan Cooper / Zane Beadles
C- Weston Richburg / Erik Magnunsen
RG- Josh Garnett / Laken Tomlinson
RT- Trent Brown / Garry Gilliam

I like that group.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
With this signing, I think we're done with OG's. I don't see us drafting one in this draft, at least not early.

Would be a major disappointment. The guards on the roster are either huge question marks or busts.

Mayo, I hope you're wrong. I'm on the side of drafting two guards from the second and third rounds. Two of Tomlinson, Cooper and Garnett as starters is risky. One injury and we're in trouble again.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Mar 20, 2018 at 4:15 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by steiber:
Has been terrible every team he has played for. Maybe they think he can be better in this system than in a power running system like the past?

Has to be the case with the way Kyle studies players before he wants them

I agree, that's the only reason to sign anybody that's played below expectations.
So we have a 3 bust competition for LG? Lol
Just another body. Hopefully, we are drafting a guard with our 2nd round pick. I'm down for a move up if necessary. There is great talent available and we can come away with a starter, leaving the final starting position to the best of Cooper/Tomlison/Beadles/Garnett. That sounds a lot better than letting any two of those guys handle both starting spots.
Share 49ersWebzone