OL Jonathan Cooper

• JR80
  • Veteran
Quenton Nelson is the 2018 version of Cooper
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No, he was still one of the worst guards in football. That he started a bunch of games means they had no one else due to injury. He also had All Pro players to the left and right of him.

As a camp.body, whatever, if they have any plans on making him the starter, Jimmy might as well start praying now.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jonathan-cooper?id=2539272

One of the most athletic guards in the league. He could excel in a zone scheme.

He was ranked as the 35th best guard in a power scheme.

Low risk. High reward signing
Nice draft profile, a quick lineman for a quick offense. If it all works right, Shanahans side to side offense will match up perfectly with Cooper's skills. I can see slow 3-4 defenses getting outflanked by this kind of personnel. Add in McKinnons speed, and Jimmy's quick release, and I think the screen game just got more deadly.
Originally posted by JR80:
Quenton Nelson is the 2018 version of Cooper

Wash your mouth.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by thl408:
Cowpies scouting report when they acquired him:
----------------
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/03/15/scouting-report-re-visiting-game-tape-new-og-jonathan-cooper (snippets below)
Games Studied: 2016, with Cleveland Browns, vs. Cincinnati (twice), Buffalo, San Diego
His game is in his mobility. He is not going to overwhelm you with his power. He gets position, balances and seals.
He doesn't play with much pop. He likes to get his hands inside, then work to steer the defender.
It was surprising how well he played against Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins. Copper handled his quickness and power well in the game. He also did a nice job of passing off twists and stunts that the Bengals tried to throw at him.
Well there we have it, better in a zone blocking scheme where he can move. Played in the wrong scheme so let's see how he does in a system the suits him. That's what I like about Shanahan, he studies a player to make sure he fits
Yep. Looks at philm before looking at stats.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Well there we have it, better in a zone blocking scheme where he can move. Played in the wrong scheme so let's see how he does in a system the suits him. That's what I like about Shanahan, he studies a player to make sure he fits

As I said. Ideal for a zone scheme.

He is ultra athletic and if Shanahan can make Brandon Fusco look like he belongs in the league he can do the same with Cooper.

LT- Joe Staley / Darrell Williams
LG- Jonathan Cooper / Zane Beadles
C- Weston Richburg / Erik Magnunsen
RG- Josh Garnett / Laken Tomlinson
RT- Trent Brown / Garry Gilliam

I like that group.

This guy will really make screens, tosses, and misdirection plays dangerous. We shall see...
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Wash your mouth.

I like Nelson, but in 2013 Cooper was the last OG to be rated so highly
I'll say this about Cooper: dude has blazing quick and light feet. His lateral agility is impressive. Shanny surely loved that.
Originally posted by Karma:
1. This signing is not prohibitive to drafting an OG early. That's silly.

2. The person who should feel the most pressure from this signing is Tomlinson. Cooper is a better fit for the system and brings the veteran leadership to the group.

3. He's only going to play if he beats out the competition. Shanahan and Lynch don't owe him anything. This is a simple kick-the-tires deal.

Agreed. If he signed a multi year contract and was signed in the first 2-3 days of FA, then he was more likely the starter. The fact that he signed now, and for 1 year only, there is simply no guaranteed that he will start. He is more likely to compete with Tomlinson, Garnett, Magnuson, and rookies for starting spots.
I still see us drafting 2 OG this year, maybe a OG/C combo player. I don't think this signing changes anything other than making Garnett available in trade.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
I still see us drafting 2 OG this year, maybe a OG/C combo player. I don't think this signing changes anything other than making Garnett available in trade.

Yep, I still see us drafting an O Lineman in the mid to late rounds, more likely an OT than an OG now, with this signing. But the draft nerds say this draft is deep in OG's so I can see ShanaLynch investing a late round pick on an OG too.

Puts Tomlinson on notice that he needs to bring it or be gone.
Garnett might be available for trade, but I don't think we know for sure. I simply don't think Lynch and Shanahan are comfortable with any of the guards to be locked for starting spots. It might be that Tomlinson, Cooper, Garnett, Magnuson, and rookies compete for starting spots.
Originally posted by littleken:
Garnett might be available for trade, but I don't think we know for sure. I simply don't think Lynch and Shanahan are comfortable with any of the guards to be locked for starting spots. It might be that Tomlinson, Cooper, Garnett, Magnuson, and rookies compete for starting spots.

I could live with players like Tomlinson and Cooper as depth.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Karma:
1. This signing is not prohibitive to drafting an OG early. That's silly.

2. The person who should feel the most pressure from this signing is Tomlinson. Cooper is a better fit for the system and brings the veteran leadership to the group.

3. He's only going to play if he beats out the competition. Shanahan and Lynch don't owe him anything. This is a simple kick-the-tires deal.

Agree on all counts. I think Lynch and Kyle know they have poop at Guard right now. Why not sign Cooper, he might be less stinky poop.

LOL...pretty much.
To me, this is another low risk, high reward signing. He is athletic, can move, is a lighter OG (all attributes that Shanahan coverts). At the least, he provides competition for depth on the interior OL. At the most, considering he has never played in a zone scheme, it could be a great fit for him and he turns into a solid player. Also, if he makes the team, he pushes a lesser player off the roster. I don't see the downside in signing a guy like this.

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone