LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 198 users in the forums

OL Jonathan Cooper

He has played in a zone scheme. Dallas is a zone-heavy team. They run a lot of inside zone and pin-pull zone concepts with stretch plays sprinkled in.
Originally posted by Heroism:
He has played in a zone scheme. Dallas is a zone-heavy team. They run a lot of inside zone and pin-pull zone concepts with stretch plays sprinkled in.

You made me look it up to back you up.

They ran 2 power plays. But 82 gap (one of the most), 125 IZ (one of the most) and 198 OZ (most; we were 2nd with 175).

I can see why they targeted him for competition.
Originally posted by littleken:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
I still see us drafting 2 OG this year, maybe a OG/C combo player. I don't think this signing changes anything other than making Garnett available in trade.
Garnett might be available for trade, but I don't think we know for sure. I simply don't think Lynch and Shanahan are comfortable with any of the guards to be locked for starting spots. It might be that Tomlinson, Cooper, Garnett, Magnuson, and rookies compete for starting spots.

Agree with this
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Karma:
1. This signing is not prohibitive to drafting an OG early. That's silly.

2. The person who should feel the most pressure from this signing is Tomlinson. Cooper is a better fit for the system and brings the veteran leadership to the group.

3. He's only going to play if he beats out the competition. Shanahan and Lynch don't owe him anything. This is a simple kick-the-tires deal.

Agree on all counts. I think Lynch and Kyle know they have poop at Guard right now. Why not sign Cooper, he might be less stinky poop.

LOL...pretty much.

Yep. This sums it all up.

One of the (many) nice things about Lynchahan's openness is that they're very overt in making it clear that they like to double at need positions in both FA and the draft.

A one year deal for Cooper is basically protection against the draft not falling their way on the lineman they're interested in. Maybe the draft doesn't fall their way on OG and he beats out Tomlinson or Magnuson, or maybe the draft does fall their way and he's fighting it out with Tomlinson and Magnuson to not be cut.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Mar 20, 2018 at 5:41 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

2. The person who should feel the most pressure from this signing is Tomlinson. Cooper is a better fit for the system and brings the veteran leadership to the group.

3. He's only going to play if he beats out the competition. Shanahan and Lynch don't owe him anything. This is a simple kick-the-tires deal.

Agree on all counts. I think Lynch and Kyle know they have poop at Guard right now. Why not sign Cooper, he might be less stinky poop.

LOL...pretty much.

One of the (many) nice things about Lynchahan's openness is that they're very overt in making it clear that they like to double at need positions in both FA and the draft.

A one year deal for Cooper is basically protection against the draft not falling their way on the lineman they're interested in. Maybe the draft doesn't fall their way on OG and he beats out Tomlinson or Magnuson, or maybe the draft does fall their way and he's fighting it out with Tomlinson and Magnuson to not be cut.

Great insight into a brutal business.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

LOL...pretty much.

That, and we traded Kilgore. Mags is now the backup center, so Cooper replaces Kilgore's roster spot.
i have a good feeling about this guy. I don't know why.
Originally posted by Giedi:

LOL...pretty much.

You guys are overthinking. They are shoring up all positions possible in FA so they can trade all their draft picks to move up to the #1 spot
The can't miss prospect that missed.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
i have a good feeling about this guy. I don't know why.
what did you do with pdiz !

Our draft will go like this:

1 (9/9): Harold Landry
2 (27/59): G/T
3 (6/70): G
3 (10/74): G
4 (28/128): G
5 (6/143): G
6 (10/184): G/C
7 (9/223): Bruiser inside RB
7 (22/240): Super tall/big TE/WR

[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 20, 2018 at 6:02 PM ]
Coming out of North Carolina in 2013 he was one of the top rated interior lineman in the draft. He has bounced around, Cardinals, Patriots, Browns and Cowboys. The fact that so many teams have been interested, there must be something there. Or maybe this is the end of the line.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Coming out of North Carolina in 2013 he was one of the top rated interior lineman in the draft. He has bounced around, Cardinals, Patriots, Browns and Cowboys. The fact that so many teams have been interested, there must be something there. Or maybe this is the end of the line.

It may be the end of the line but there is no risk at all to bring him in to compete. I am sure they are intrigued to see what Cooper can do in Shanny's system. I like it.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
The can't miss prospect that missed.

Skills and athleticism are there but along with his injury issues, Cooper was repeatedly called out for playing soft.

He's more of a finesse type.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Well there we have it, better in a zone blocking scheme where he can move. Played in the wrong scheme so let's see how he does in a system the suits him. That's what I like about Shanahan, he studies a player to make sure he fits

As I said. Ideal for a zone scheme.

He is ultra athletic and if Shanahan can make Brandon Fusco look like he belongs in the league he can do the same with Cooper.

LT- Joe Staley / Darrell Williams
LG- Jonathan Cooper / Zane Beadles
C- Weston Richburg / Erik Magnunsen
RG- Josh Garnett / Laken Tomlinson
RT- Trent Brown / Garry Gilliam

I like that group.

Exactly, Im okay with this group, and we haven't even drafted, or finished signing FA's.

I can say enough about how excited I am to see a GM and front office that is so busy looking for talent.
Share 49ersWebzone