LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 258 users in the forums

OL Jonathan Cooper

Watched the replay of Cowboys and Rams the other night and Cooper had a pretty good game against Aaron Donald. 😎👍
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jcs:
I honestly think they are going to role with the Guards we have on the roster now and possibly draft an OT that can play into that rotation as we develop him.

Possible but deep draft for the interior so you might as well take advantage of it.

Our needs are interesting going into this draft. I see our needs going into it being 2x CB's that are talented enough to eventually become starters, at least one LB capable of playing year one, one TE to fit the rotation, one RB to compete, one Pass Rusher to potentially start, one WR to develop, one OT to develop behind Staley and Brown capable of playing snaps year one

I'm with you but would add one more:

CB x2 - Hopefully we finally sign one of the veteran CB's we're meeting with and draft one with high upside to learn from Sherman.
LB - MIKE, WILL or SAM. Take your pick.
RB - Bigger bodied RB for the inside pounding and compliment the OZ RB's
ER - Could even double down like Landry (LEO) + Double O (SAM)
WR - There are a number of taller bigger bodied WR's in this draft who could learn from Garcon at the ZWR position
OT - ShanaLynch already looking at ultra tall and athletic T's
G/C - Perfect spot to get a top C to push for a G starting spot and learn from Richburg
TE - Good to add competition to Kittle & Hikutini esp. a TE with height, leaping ability and excellent box-out skills.
I like the cooper signing as a hedge against Garnett not showing up. Great problem to have laken, josh and cooper playing at a high level through camp.
It will be interesting to see how Garnett fairs with his newly shaped body. If he still shows he's not a good scheme fit, then I hope we look to trade him to a team in need of a mauler type Guard. One perk with his body reshaping, is that he's lost some weight, so one would assume he's at least a little more fleet footed, but from all the stuff I have heard, he's gotten a whole lot stronger during this past year. So if a team is looking for a mauler, he would still fit that bill, even more than last year. If Garnett is not a fit for us, but is healthy, could we net a 3rd round pick for him, or more like a 4th?

Cooper to me is pretty much a lock for the LG spot, so realistically Garnett+Tomlinson+Magnuson+Beadles are battling for the starting RG spot. Personally I hope we find a good scheme fit Guard in the 3rd round, who can be a back up year 1, and hopefully a starter year 2. Drafting a Guard like that would allow us to cut Beadles or trade Garnett. If Magnuson isn't valued really high in the FO eyes, I would be looking for a Center who can play Guard, so we can have a good back up to Richburg.

CB x2 - Hopefully we finally sign one of the veteran CB's we're meeting with and draft one with high upside to learn from Sherman.
WR - There are a number of taller bigger bodied WR's in this draft who could learn from Garcon at the ZWR position
G/C - Perfect spot to get a top C to push for a G starting spot and learn from Richburg
TE - Good to add competition to Kittle & Hikutini esp. a TE with height, leaping ability and excellent box-out skills.

CB--Sherman/Witherspoon/Williams (Ward, Colbert, Maybin, Stribling) Minor need if they remain healthy but can certainly upgrade backups.
LB--Foster/Smith/Harold (Watson, Coyle, Nzeocha, Lee). Major upgrade needed. Foster is the only true proven playmaker...and he'll be suspended.
RB--Will Shanahan follow in his father's footsteps and make these guys shine without an upgrade? Not a huge need, but will likely draft a midrounder.
ER--Nice if they can find one early in the draft! NEED!
WR--Similar to RB...Shanahan will put these guys in a situation to thrive. Still needs to find a true difference maker.
OT--Backup for Staley and Brown, while possibly starting at OG? Mid to low priority.
G/C--Backup for Richburg and possibly starting at OG. Best they can get anywhere in the draft. High priority.
TE--Similar to RB and WR...if an upgrade jumps out...grab him.
FS--With Reid gone and Ward/Colbert possibly playing CB...help is needed.

Either this year or next they need to move all their chips into the pot for an edge rusher. Walsh found Dean and then Haley, Shanahan/Lynch need to find their QB killer.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:57 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Watched the replay of Cowboys and Rams the other night and Cooper had a pretty good game against Aaron Donald. 😎👍

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Cooper is solid - I like the signing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I also wish we had signed Cooper to a 2 year deal. Just guarantee the 1st years salary just under 5 million. So 2 years and 10 million with 5 guaranteed. I think Cooper is gonna be good for us, I think Cooper plays LG, and I think Garnett will win the RG spot with Laken backing them up along with Magnuson.

Don't worry - we'll have first dibs next year if Cooper has a good year.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I also wish we had signed Cooper to a 2 year deal. Just guarantee the 1st years salary just under 5 million. So 2 years and 10 million with 5 guaranteed. I think Cooper is gonna be good for us, I think Cooper plays LG, and I think Garnett will win the RG spot with Laken backing them up along with Magnuson.

We'll see. I do think Cooper will pick up for us where he left off with Dallas last year, continuing to play very good football. The biggest concern with his is his durability and I just read he tore his MCL in the last game of the year and is coming of surgery. However he should be ready for OTA's.

I think they need to add LB*2. Coyle is solid, Smith is a questionmark due to his injury and foster is also a questionmark due to his stupidity. They need 2 backers. And I also feel like they can find that big bodied WR in the rookie free agent pool. I would also try to trade Garnett and Armstead to see if I can get back a player that fills a hole. I think teams would trade their 3rd RB or their 5th CB for AA or Garnett.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
I think they need to add LB*2. Coyle is solid, Smith is a questionmark due to his injury and foster is also a questionmark due to his stupidity. They need 2 backers. And I also feel like they can find that big bodied WR in the rookie free agent pool. I would also try to trade Garnett and Armstead to see if I can get back a player that fills a hole. I think teams would trade their 3rd RB or their 5th CB for AA or Garnett.

Don't forget about Elijah Lee at LB
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Don't forget about Elijah Lee at LB

another unknown.
Please, someone give me a reason to say pooper in the Cooper thread. I've tried to come up with clever phrases all day, but nothing made sense.

I thought, would you take it in the pooper for Cooper?

Or

At 300 plus ponds Cooper must be a super pooper.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 26, 2018 at 10:23 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Cooper is solid - I like the signing.

This
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Please, someone give me a reason to say pooper in the Cooper thread. I've tried to come up with clever phrases all day, but nothing made sense.

I thought, would you take it in the pooper for Cooper?

Or

At 300 plus ponds Cooper must be a super pooper.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I hope Suh isn't a Pooper Scooper.
Share 49ersWebzone