LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 230 users in the forums

OL Jonathan Cooper

At worst, he's Camp Fodder & a good signing. (that assumes the Contract is basically nothing if he doesn't make the regular season roster)

If he is a "Scheme Fit" and plays any significant time: Brilliant!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
after doing research and hearing concerns from good posters... i am now hoping and praying the team takes a elite guard. best one on the board in round one
Originally posted by cciowa:
after doing research and hearing concerns from good posters... i am now hoping and praying the team takes a elite guard. best one on the board in round one

60 million in cap room you'd think we could find a option than cooper.
Originally posted by jreff22:
whoever is evaluating our OL and potential FA's is retarded

Depends on how they handle the draft. I'm hoping they add at least one starter quality prospect otherwise I'll be expecting another season of sloppy guard play.
Originally posted by susweel:

There really aren't any good options out there. Lots of terrible and injury prone guards. Hoping that the draft provides some resolution.

Cooper is decent depth but not a guy that I hope to see start any games next season.

I'm in the Hernandez camp.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
He started 13 games for the Cowboys last season... I really don't think we're bringing him in to be fodder... I think we're bringing him in to compete for a starting job.
i hope our first or second round pick will take one of those starting guard spots

Ditto!
  • Moses
  • Veteran
We can't count on getting Nelson, I don't think he'll get past the Broncos. I would like Wynn if we trade down or get him in the 2nd. There are some other good options in the draft, but maybe not guys we want to start right away.

I don't think it'd be helpful to a Rookie to start them before they are ready. Shanahan's offense is pretty complicated, and for anyone on the OL it is going to be a huge adjustment from College to the NFL. If he's not ready he could get discouraged, lose confidence, lose passion for the game or get hurt.

Having said all of that, I think this signing makes a lot of sense and I don't know that we had a lot of other options. It would probably be hard to convince some other FA guards to come here if we aren't planning on having them long term. We'd have to commit to those types and shell out a ton of money.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

no matter if its a offensive lineman or a linebacker or ward . all i hear is . we signed him for good depth. seems to be sooner or later we need good starters. now before i hear the " you can not have all pros at all spots",, i think upgrades can be done without signing all pros. but then when you have someone like say. suh out here. why not take a chance. seems to me the team is playing not to lose instead of playing to win. yes i know we have the draft and the over rated june first cuts
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Moses:
We can't count on getting Nelson, I don't think he'll get past the Broncos. I would like Wynn if we trade down or get him in the 2nd. There are some other good options in the draft, but maybe not guys we want to start right away.

I don't think it'd be helpful to a Rookie to start them before they are ready. Shanahan's offense is pretty complicated, and for anyone on the OL it is going to be a huge adjustment from College to the NFL. If he's not ready he could get discouraged, lose confidence, lose passion for the game or get hurt.

Having said all of that, I think this signing makes a lot of sense and I don't know that we had a lot of other options. It would probably be hard to convince some other FA guards to come here if we aren't planning on having them long term. We'd have to commit to those types and shell out a ton of money.

With this signing, I think we're done with OG's. I don't see us drafting one in this draft, at least not early.

Wheres adam snyder when u need him
Originally posted by mayo49:
With this signing, I think we're done with OG's. I don't see us drafting one in this draft, at least not early.

Would be a major disappointment. The guards on the roster are either huge question marks or busts.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No, he was still one of the worst guards in football. That he started a bunch of games means they had no one else due to injury. He also had All Pro players to the left and right of him.

As a camp.body, whatever, if they have any plans on making him the starter, Jimmy might as well start praying now.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jonathan-cooper?id=2539272

One of the most athletic guards in the league. He could excel in a zone scheme.

He was ranked as the 35th best guard in a power scheme.

Low risk. High reward signing
Originally posted by jcs:

He could end up stealing one of the starting spots...

lmao. Is this really that impressive against our horrible defense though? This guy is gonna be a training camp stud, that's for sure.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No, he was still one of the worst guards in football. That he started a bunch of games means they had no one else due to injury. He also had All Pro players to the left and right of him.

As a camp.body, whatever, if they have any plans on making him the starter, Jimmy might as well start praying now.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jonathan-cooper?id=2539272

One of the most athletic guards in the league. He could excel in a zone scheme.

He was ranked as the 35th best guard in a power scheme.

Low risk. High reward signing
35 reps...he's strong.
Share 49ersWebzone