There are 125 users in the forums

Grady Jarrett, NT/DT

Why pay this guy when you can just draft QW who is better and cheaper.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Sorry kids

But i thought you said they would have to get rid of Beasley?

I said they can clear up cap space (by moving on from Beasley), you said they didn't have any money

they will have around $30 million next yr (roll over like $6 million) before they even cut/restructure contracts.

I think I read 2018 cap space instead of 2019.

lol all good
The casual NFL fan doesn't realize how good this dude is.

Originally posted by Heroism:

Really boggles my mind when people say we we don't need someone like him. Going from Mitchell to this would really show fans how wrong they were about the impact a great NT could make.
Really boggles my mind when people say we we don't need someone like him. Going from Mitchell to this would really show fans how wrong they were about the impact a great NT could make.

I think its the everlasting perception that NTs are just fat guys who take up space, add nothing to the pass rush and are incapable of doing much beyond tying up blockers and from time to time tackling a RB.

Adding an NT that can pressure the QB alongside Buckner would make this defense so much more dangerous and effective vs run and pass.
Guy is a beast!! No way Hotlanta lets him walk. I don't see it. They will pay him.
Lol Jarrett would be our best Leo right now too. Look at that bend!

Atlanta would be idiots to let him walk. They do have a bunch of cap dedicated to their offense though, so who knows.

Agreed. Put him next to Buckner with a young rusher like Allen who could force the QB to step up into the presssure

Thats the issue with this statement. We don't need him. He is a great player, that if he hits free agency, is going to get a massive contract. We have tons of interior lineman. What we need is better coverage players on the back end and an edge rush. Jarrett is a luxury. And he wouldn't be replacing mitchell, he'd be replacing DJ Jones, who actually looks to be solid. There is a better use of resources instead of beefing up one of the few positions we are actually solid at.

People think our money is endless, but next offseason we are going to have to pay Kittle AND Buckner and those contracts won't be cheap. Kittle is probably going to reset that entire market and then some. If Buckner puts up another double digit sack season he's getting donald money, book it. Not to mention they're still going to need room to sign any other free agents. How is having two defensive tackles making over 15m going to be good for us. Pro tip: Its not.

Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Thats the issue with this statement. We don't need him. He is a great player, that if he hits free agency, is going to get a massive contract. We have tons of interior lineman. What we need is better coverage players on the back end and an edge rush. Jarrett is a luxury. And he wouldn't be replacing mitchell, he'd be replacing DJ Jones, who actually looks to be solid. There is a better use of resources instead of beefing up one of the few positions we are actually solid at.

People think our money is endless, but next offseason we are going to have to pay Kittle AND Buckner and those contracts won't be cheap. Kittle is probably going to reset that entire market and then some. If Buckner puts up another double digit sack season he's getting donald money, book it. Not to mention they're still going to need room to sign any other free agents. How is having two defensive tackles making over 15m going to be good for us. Pro tip: Its not.

There are many ways to build a championship team. This is not just any NT. This is the best 4-3 NT in the game. A game changing type talent. The difference between Jones (who I think is a nice player) and Jarrett is huge. The guy had three sacks in the Super Bowl. He's that guy.

I just disagree that it would be money wasted. I think you can agree that it doesn't matter where you get passrush from as long as you get it. Having Jarrett does not hamper us from getting an edge rusher. In fact he can rush from the outside better than pretty much anyone on our roster currently. We will get those edge players this draft. It might not allow us to get someone like Earl Thomas which I'm willing to pass on and I think that could be more wasted given his past injuries.

Imo Jarrett is the best FA outside Lawrence who will not be available. He's 26 dude! I don't see the logic to pass on the best most impactful player because we have someone inside who doesn't play the same position, a late round pick in Jones who isn't proven, and a guy in Thomas who I believe from watching his early days at Stanford until now will be a bust and give us very little passrush if any at all.

This isn't Donald and Suh. This could be the best DT duo maybe ever. That situation isn't working as well for a number of reasons that we could get into. I would understand the concern about the cap but this player is something special and he isn't going to be wasted in any sense.

There are many ways to build a championship team. This is not just any NT. This is the best 4-3 NT in the game. A game changing type talent. The difference between Jones (who I think is a nice player) and Jarrett is huge. The guy had three sacks in the Super Bowl. He's that guy.

I just disagree that it would be money wasted. I think you can agree that it doesn't matter where you get passrush from as long as you get it. Having Jarrett does not hamper us from getting an edge rusher. In fact he can rush from the outside better than pretty much anyone on our roster currently. We will get those edge players this draft. It might not allow us to get someone like Earl Thomas which I'm willing to pass on and I think that could be more wasted given his past injuries.

Imo Jarrett is the best FA outside Lawrence who will not be available. He's 26 dude! I don't see the logic to pass on the best most impactful player because we have someone inside who doesn't play the same position, a late round pick in Jones who isn't proven, and a guy in Thomas who I believe from watching his early days at Stanford until now will be a bust and give us very little passrush if any at all.

This isn't Donald and Suh. This could be the best DT duo maybe ever. That situation isn't working as well for a number of reasons that we could get into. I would understand the concern about the cap but this player is something special and he isn't going to be wasted in any sense.

My point is that we have sooooo many holes in other places and not enough drat picks to hit all of them. We have a ton of cap space, and we should sue some of it for sure. Im not advocating not spending it. But we should use it wisely. Its not just Jones its the combination of Thomas, Buckner, Amstead, Blair, Street, Jones, and Day. We don't have a single viable edge player for next year, a massive hole at FS, questions on the viability of our cb groups, Our SS might need to be upgraded, and one good linebacker. Sherman could fall off a cliff as well next year. Thats only on defense, We need a RG, and probably two WR's as well.

I'm not saying he's a waste, he's a stud and him and buckner would be great. My point is this really the best use of resource to continually, every offseason, keep spending valuable resources upgrading the same position group? The 3-tech, NT, and 5-tech all use similar players. Buck plays the position at times for example. Personally I'd rather sink money into other positions and allow our new d-line coach to improve the other talented players we already have.

My point is that we have sooooo many holes in other places and not enough drat picks to hit all of them. We have a ton of cap space, and we should sue some of it for sure. Im not advocating not spending it. But we should use it wisely. Its not just Jones its the combination of Thomas, Buckner, Amstead, Blair, Street, Jones, and Day. We don't have a single viable edge player for next year, a massive hole at FS, questions on the viability of our cb groups, Our SS might need to be upgraded, and one good linebacker. Sherman could fall off a cliff as well next year. Thats only on defense, We need a RG, and probably two WR's as well.

I'm not saying he's a waste, he's a stud and him and buckner would be great. My point is this really the best use of resource to continually, every offseason, keep spending valuable resources upgrading the same position group? The 3-tech, NT, and 5-tech all use similar players. Buck plays the position at times for example. Personally I'd rather sink money into other positions and allow our new d-line coach to improve the other talented players we already have.

Oh and I forgot Julian Taylor. This team is stupidly loaded at 1t, 3t, and 5t. Its absurd when you compare it to the rest of the roster.

I agree we have many holes on this roster. In my opinion we are two drafts away from really competing though. That is important to think about because if you understand that you know that some positions won't be fully addressed this offseason. My idea is how to build the best roster in that second year and that doesn't start by passing on Jarrett.

You mention all those guys but besides Thomas all of them are low round picks and haven't proven much of anything. I get that they have proven more than maybe some other weaknesses on our team but again they are late round picks for a reason. You and I might just disagree on how good they can become because to me, that group isn't on the same planet as Jarrett.

The other situation is that we face is that arguably the second best player in the draft plays NT. So if we addressed that with Jarrett we wouldn't have to think twice about trading down and passing on BPA. So I don't understand how adding Jarrett would not allow us to address our holes? I think help big time and this defense with any of the top edge players would be much better because of it.

Not trying to be condescending but I wonder what you think of possibly getting AB? Because if anything that would be even more of a problem getting him and trying to fill out the roster with the picks traded away.

I agree we have many holes on this roster. In my opinion we are two drafts away from really competing though. That is important to think about because if you understand that you know that some positions won't be fully addressed this offseason. My idea is how to build the best roster in that second year and that doesn't start by passing on Jarrett.

You mention all those guys but besides Thomas all of them are low round picks and haven't proven much of anything. I get that they have proven more than maybe some other weaknesses on our team but again they are late round picks for a reason. You and I might just disagree on how good they can become because to me, that group isn't on the same planet as Jarrett.

The other situation is that we face is that arguably the second best player in the draft plays NT. So if we addressed that with Jarrett we wouldn't have to think twice about trading down and passing on BPA. So I don't understand how adding Jarrett would not allow us to address our holes? I think help big time and this defense with any of the top edge players would be much better because of it.

Not trying to be condescending but I wonder what you think of possibly getting AB? Because if anything that would be even more of a problem getting him and trying to fill out the roster with the picks traded away.
I think with a good enough off-season we could be playoff contenders this season. But that won't happen if we keep ignoring positions of need because we want to continue to add to a loaded position. This is the same reason we ended up with Solomon Thomas. Jarrett while great, is redundant(same with QWILL).

No one in that group is on Jarret's level, right now. Remember that Jarrett himself was a 5th round pick and wasn't immediately great. Most of those players are going to be 2nd to 4th year players, and many have shown at times to be talented. Add to that we just got one of the best d-line coaches in the league. It's conceivable that group could very well improve. They will never be able to improve if we add a finished product like Jarrett in there to eat the lions share of snaps with Buckner. Again, it's not a need. Jarrett wouldn't allow us to take BPA because we'd still have holes. I won't be mad if they pick up Jarrett, but I would be skeptical on how they plan on addressing other issues, and I would be fairly mad if they planned on punting on pressing issues because of signing jarret.

Im okay with AB as I dont think he's going to take a ton of draft capital(probably a third and a conditional pick next year) and WR is a BIG time need. Arguably one of our three biggest needs. NT isn't a big time need imho. We had no problem with interior pressure/stopping the run last year. Our issues on defense were with edge pressure and coverage and he doesn't assist directly with either of those.
Share 49ersWebzone