There are 216 users in the forums

Justin Simmons?

Always thought he's be excellent w/us.

He's available.

https://fansided.com/posts/nfl-insider-links-top-free-agent-defensive-back-to-san-francisco-49ers-01j1ba3ken64

Thoughts?
Wrong sub forum.
I agree, and still don't know why we haven't signed him yet. Brown had some great moments last season, and a few lapses. Hufanga coming off of a major injury. Behind them, we have a rookie and Odum, who is more of a ST guy than actual safety. Gipson "might" be an option. But he's already played 1 1/2 seasons longer than he had intended to, and now has the suspension to deal with too. We are ONE injury away from being in some seriously bad shape here.
Simmons or Jamal adams seems like the new addition with the Gipson suspension
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I agree, and still don't know why we haven't signed him yet. Brown had some great moments last season, and a few lapses. Hufanga coming off of a major injury. Behind them, we have a rookie and Odum, who is more of a ST guy than actual safety. Gipson "might" be an option. But he's already played 1 1/2 seasons longer than he had intended to, and now has the suspension to deal with too. We are ONE injury away from being in some seriously bad shape here.

Same reason no one else has: he's older and probably asking for too much $$. There is no guarantee he's good with us.

Look at Kevin byard last year with eagles. Thought they fleeced the Titans and he turned out to be absolute garbage
its all about the money.
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
its all about the money.
This
Yes please to Simmons given the very young (but promising) Safeties along with Hufanga's uncertainty w/ his injury. Team is ready to win and need experience + playmaking at all three levels of the D.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Even though Ji'Ayir Brown shows promise, Mustapha is a rookie they like and even with a healthy Hufanga. Simmons would be an upgrade at Safety regardless. If you're going all in like you should be this season, then Simmons should definitely be picked up. I hate it that they always go cheap in the secondary, especially at Safety.
Simmons brings experience but is he worth what it would cost to sign him? Last year, he was paid $15,250M for an average season. The fact he remains unsigned says a lot about his perceived level of play. His greatest strength this past season was as a run defender. In a league that is all about passing, his coverage grade was only average.

Here is a comparison with current 49er safeties. It's a lot of numbers but in the end, Gibson and Simmons look like very similar players and both remained unsigned. Of course, Gibson is not available until the 7th week however, he could be cheap insurance while still being able to practice and mentor the young guys. I'll take Gibson as a proven mentor rather than the more expensive Simmons.

Player ----- ranking - Overall Def - RDef- PassRush - Cov - snaps
J Brown ------ 19 -------- 73.4 ------- 72.7 - 57 ------ 71.5 --- 546
Hufanga ------ 29 ------- 72.1 ------- 77.1 - 76.3 ---- 66.3 --- 577
Simmons ----- 42 ------- 67 ------- 77.6 - 71.3 ---- 63.4 --- 985
T Gibson ----- 43 ------- 67 --------- 74.6 - 52.4 ---- 63.8 -- 1194
[ Edited by dj43 on Jul 3, 2024 at 12:12 PM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
Simmons brings experience but is he worth what it would cost to sign him? Last year, he was paid $15,250M for an average season. The fact he remains unsigned says a lot about his perceived level of play. His greatest strength this past season was as a run defender. In a league that is all about passing, his coverage grade was only average.

Here is a comparison with current 49er safeties. It's a lot of numbers but in the end, Gibson and Simmons look like very similar players and both remained unsigned. Of course, Gibson is not available until the 7th week however, he could be cheap insurance while still being able to practice and mentor the young guys. I'll take Gibson as a proven mentor rather than the more expensive Simmons.

Actually a lot of good Safeties remain unsigned and I'd take a few of them not named Justin Simmons over what the current group is at now. And even though I like Hufanga, he does miss a lot of tackles. That's what I Iove about Simmons too though, is that he's a pretty decent to good run defender who makes the tackle. Not to mention Simmons has put up some pretty good numbers against Patrick Mahomes, knows him well and anyone who gives him a hard time is definitely someone he needs to be on this defense.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by dj43:

Actually a lot of good Safeties remain unsigned and I'd take a few of them not named Justin Simmons over what the current group is at now. And even though I like Hufanga, he does miss a lot of tackles. That's what I Iove about Simmons too though, is that he's a pretty decent to good run defender who makes the tackle. Not to mention Simmons has put up some pretty good numbers against Patrick Mahomes, knows him well and anyone who gives him a hard time is definitely someone he needs to be on this defense.

Our GM should be able to draft Safety's all day.

If we can develop them we get them on the cheap for a few years.
  • bors
  • Veteran
If there no stuck deal this season heck yea use some that cash on Simmons for a short term deal.
If Hufanga is healthy, this should be the best secondary we've had in a very long time. I'd prioritize rolling cap to next year over depth signings at safety
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
If Hufanga is healthy, this should be the best secondary we've had in a very long time. I'd prioritize rolling cap to next year over depth signings at safety

Agreed. Pretty pumped about the secondary
Share 49ersWebzone