There are 254 users in the forums

hjkl

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
yeah I see people trying to compare him to Ginn based on the fact that they went to Ohio St and are both fast, but that's about all that's similar.

Like you said Ginn was hesitant, isn't physical at all, can't track and adjust to the long ball, and avoids contact....Smith is the exact opposite.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131740/devin-smith

Ohio State WR Devin Smith "has a chance to run in the 4.2 range," writes ESPN's Todd McShay.

"He's a track guy, participating in the high jump and 4x100-meter relay for the Buckeyes, and his speed translates well to the football field," McShay wrote. "I think he was a bit overlooked in terms of how important he was to OSU's success this season, as he was the best downfield threat in college football." Smith has run a reported 4.33 forty. He was Ohio's high school long jumping champion and also ran a 10.56 100-meter dash. Smith is a potential Round 1 pick if he singes the track in Indy.

He will shoot up the boards if he runs a 4.3 or better, honestly I won't mind taking him at 15, but I don't see Baalke doing that.

Guys who already tend to be very good route runners in college, usually progress to that level in the NFL. Both Beckham and Landry were outstanding route runners at LSU, unsurprisingly they have been very good route runners in the NFL as well. The margin of error that you get in college due to superior athleticism tends to vanish quickly in the NFL, so you have to be every bit the technician to continue to be able to beat defensive backs that bigger and faster than many of the guys you were matched up against in college.

I mean a player can develop route running through out his career, speed not really. I like that we got the WR coach from LSU that should be a upgrade.

I would like to see how Smith does in the 3-cone and short shuttle run as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 18, 2015 at 11:57 AM ]
He might be the best overall WR for us. HE has elite speed to get deep, he runs great routes, has great hands and like NFL Network says he can track the ball in the air and adjust like a center fielder. Meaning he can catch all of Kap's wild inaccurate passes.
The more i think about it the more likely it becomes he becomes our 1st round pick.

I really don't see him having the success he had vs college DBs when he enters the NFL.

I hope i'm wrong.

Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
The more i think about it the more likely it becomes he becomes our 1st round pick.

I really don't see him having the success he had vs college DBs when he enters the NFL.

I hope i'm wrong.

6 rec 129 yards 1 TD against Michigan ST's corners....Trae Waynes is regarded as the best CB in the draft class.

4 rec 137 yards 3 TD against the 8th ranked pass defense in Wisconsin
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He might be the best overall WR for us. HE has elite speed to get deep, he runs great routes, has great hands and like NFL Network says he can track the ball in the air and adjust like a center fielder. Meaning he can catch all of Kap's wild inaccurate passes.

Kap doesn't throw wild inaccurate passes he just throws them extremely hard and fast.
A guy that can track the ball in the air the way he can and has hands like he has will be good. Throw in the elite speed. He might be the best WR in the class. People are too hung up on height. This guy has it all.
I mean a player can develop route running through out his career, speed not really. I like that we got the WR coach from LSU that should be a upgrade.

Yet for some players that simply isn't true. Wallace is pretty much the same guy as when he was drafted. Send him deep otherwise he's largely useless.

I hope i'm wrong.

6 rec 129 yards 1 TD against Michigan ST's corners....Trae Waynes is regarded as the best CB in the draft class.

I've seen a very small amount of tape on the guy. Time to study up i suppose. Would u be content with him being our 1st round pick?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
If he can show at the combine/private workouts that he has the capacity to learn the routes and run with suddenness into and out of his breaks, I'd be happy taking him at 15. That's a big IF, though. He's already shown he's a deep threat with hands, agility, crazy speed, and great ability tracking the ball. He's already a physical and enthusiastic blocker. If he can develop a more diverse library of routes, he'd be even more dangerous as a deep threat, and more useful as a receiver.

What are you basing the underlined off of, if anything he's been pretty widely criticized for a lack of effort as a blocker.

Weaknesses Lacks natural, soft hands. Will double catch and corral throws into body. Tries to catch, turn and run before securing the throw. Shows a lack of patience in his routes. Game too heavily reliant upon speed. Must learn to be effective when deep ball is restricted by defense. Thin hips and frame. Play strength is below average. Can be frustrated by physical corners. Gets jostled and distracted when bodied hard down the field. Desire lacking as run blocker. Often taken off field and replaced when Buckeyes wanted to run out of "11" personnel.

Question his toughness at times working middle of field. Usually gets in position as blocker but lacks strength and consistent effort sustaining. Whiffs on too many crack-back blocks.

He got called out specifically during the Senior Bowl practices because he was doing such a piss poor job of blocking.

Yet for some players that simply isn't true. Wallace is pretty much the same guy as when he was drafted. Send him deep otherwise he's largely useless.

Right and other players can improve...D Jax and T.Y weren't known for their route running in college but have become better. I guess it depends on the player's work ethic as well.

Wallace had 67 rec 900 yards and 10 TDs and avg only 13 yards a catch, Tannahill can't throw a long ball, yet Wallace was still putting up good numbers.

I hope i'm wrong.

I've seen a very small amount of tape on the guy. Time to study up i suppose. Would u be content with him being our 1st round pick?

It depends who's still available...I think 15 is a reach and a trade down for him would be ideal. I'd rather take him over a CB/OT.

He does fill a big hole though.

Right and other players can improve...D Jax and T.Y weren't known for their route running in college but have become better. I guess it depends on the player's work ethic as well.

Wallace had 67 rec 900 yards and 10 TDs and avg only 13 yards a catch, Tannahill can't throw a long ball, yet Wallace was still putting up good numbers.

Here's the deal... even if he's a one-trick pony, that's not a horse we currently own in our stable.

We desperately need speed. This guy is 6-3 and tracks the ball pretty well deep. Kap has a cannon... see where I'm going here? We have plenty of people who work underneath
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Here's the deal... even if he's a one-trick pony, that's not a horse we currently own in our stable.

We desperately need speed. This guy is 6-3 and tracks the ball pretty well deep. Kap has a cannon... see where I'm going here? We have plenty of people who work underneath

I believe Smith is 6'1", and about 200 lbs, but I agree with you. A Djax kind of player would be a real nice addition. It would be kind of hard for Seattle to play a 1-deep safety formation with that guy on the field. I wouldn't call him a one-trick pony. He'll go over the middle and he's bulkier and stronger than Djax but just as quick and fast. Having a weapon like him on offense could open up a lot of options.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

He's 6-1
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM ]
gotcha-- I believe it was a buckeye fan who told me he was 6-3
Share 49ersWebzone