There are 243 users in the forums

hjkl

I don't watch too much college football, so I've resorted to youtube highlight films.

In addition to the obvious (the guy is FAST), he seems to have fantastic ball skills as a lot of these throws are either underthrown or placed at tough angles, yet Devin Smith is able to adjust -- something that is NOT easy when running as fast as he is/can.

For speed receivers, he also has a knack for fighting for extra yards, again not typical for someone who may be one-dimensional. I'm starting to believe that he's not a reach at #15.

Also, who does he remind you of at 36 seconds? I'm officially on this bandwagon if we don't go defensive line

OBJ at 36?
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Feb 18, 2015 at 2:47 PM ]
Yeah, that one-handed TD catch at 36 seconds looks very similar Odell's incredible catch. This guy is real good. He'll probably blow up the combine with a 4.2 or something like that and won't even be available at #15.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Its hard not to like a guy who who is not just a deep threat but incredibly good with his body control and tracking the deep ball. That makes him a possible great deep threat. If that's all he can do in the NFL, that may be good enough for this team. He wasn't fully utilized at Ohio State until a strong armed QB was in and in 2012 Kap was great at throwing the deep ball. This team can use his talents to complement the current passing game, but can possibly continue to improve on running a full route tree.

I have been back and forth on this guy, but I think he is better than Ted Ginn at tracking the deep ball, and this team was pretty solid in 2012 when we had a deep threat. I tend to think he is worth a 2nd rounder but not as a first.

Tedd Ginn was really skinny and hesitant on in routes. He wasn't nearly as agile as other fast receivers like Desean Jackson. He also wasn't great at locating the ball & had below-average hands.

Devin's a guy who's going to catch the ball in traffic because of his great concentration, leaping, coordination and timing IMO. Hope GMs sleep on this guy. He should at least get drafted in the top 25, and I think he might even go 15th to the Niners.

I think the lowest he goes is 22 to Pittsburgh. But that's just my guess.

Man, I hope he falls to us whenever we decide to get him. Pitt already has a good offense/good WRs, they need more help on defense/in secondary. I hope they don't get him if we gamble (if Smith is on our radar) and wait till later.

I would love a trade down with Carolina at 25 (perfect value for a extra 2nd rounder) and they need a OT.... The only teams I see looking at WR between us and 25 are the Chiefs (do they want a burner with Alex's noodle arm) and Cleveland (do they go WR earlier or get one in FA). All the other teams need help in other ways and are pretty set at WR.

Good points cause Josh G is done for quite awhile and if Crabs doesn't go to KC then they'll definitely consider WR with their 1st rd.
The guy reminds me so much of Terry Glenn..
Originally posted by 9moon:
The guy reminds me so much of Terry Glenn..

Because they both went to Ohio St

Didn't Glenn have a bunch of off-the-field stuff? I don't think Smith has had any issues and I haven't read anything that says he has a bad character.
There's so much I like about this guy. Last year, I was hoping the team would draft OBJ, but he went at #12 so the Niners had no chance. This year, there will definitely be one of the top five there at #15. I just like Smith's swagger, his speed, his quickness, his hands and the fact that he seems fearless in traffic. I think he's going to be like DJax, only bigger and stronger.
Originally posted by crake49:
There's so much I like about this guy. Last year, I was hoping the team would draft OBJ, but he went at #12 so the Niners had no chance. This year, there will definitely be one of the top five there at #15. I just like Smith's swagger, his speed, his quickness, his hands and the fact that he seems fearless in traffic. I think he's going to be like DJax, only bigger and stronger.

I share those exact sentiments.

Aside from Kevin White, Devin Smith is the guy I want us to draft.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
I share those exact sentiments.

Aside from Kevin White, Devin Smith is the guy I want us to draft.

Very happy with either one.
It's not because both went to Ohio State, genius... ... but from what I saw w/Devin this year alone..

Remember that Terry Glenn won the Biletnikoff the year over KeShawn Johnson and other great receivers in the draft.. hmmm, was that with Rob Carpenter and Marvin Harrison too?? or another ex-49er WR (Bryant)??

Both are very fluid and they have that last second extra gear when the ball is within 3 yard reach..

Originally posted by 9moon:
It's not because both went to Ohio State, genius... ... but from what I saw w/Devin this year alone..

Remember that Terry Glenn won the Biletnikoff the year over KeShawn Johnson and other great receivers in the draft.. hmmm, was that with Rob Carpenter and Marvin Harrison too?? or another ex-49er WR (Bryant)??

Both are very fluid and they have that last second extra gear when the ball is within 3 yard reach..

wasn't trying to be a as$ just asking Glenn had a decent career (in the league for 12 yrs) I think he had off the field issues though, right?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 20, 2015 at 7:01 AM ]
According to NFLDraftScout he's 6'0" 196 and runs a 4.3. Not sure how accurate this site is...kind of junky layout. Not sure about taking him at 15 but if he's the guy Baalke likes then I'm all for it. Might have a lot of WRs taken before the niners pick!

Crabtree has been the fastest veteran reciever for the niners at 4.54 before all his injuries! Amazing that they have four vets around the same speed (Boldin slowest at 4.71). Ellington is a bit faster at 4.45 and Patton (4.53) is right at the Crabtree level.

Still don't think 40 speed equates perfectly to on the field speed, but it is a factor. The idea of being able to put Smith, Ellington and Patton on the field together would be interesting...if they can get off the LOS.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 20, 2015 at 9:05 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
According to NFLDraftScout he's 6'0" 196 and runs a 4.3. Not sure how accurate this site is...kind of junky layout. Not sure about taking him at 15 but if he's the guy Baalke likes then I'm all for it. Might have a lot of WRs taken before the niners pick!

Crabtree has been the fastest veteran reciever for the niners at 4.54 before all his injuries! Amazing that they have four vets around the same speed (Boldin slowest at 4.71). Ellington is a bit faster at 4.45 and Patton (4.53) is right at the Crabtree level.

Still don't think 40 speed equates perfectly to on the field speed, but it is a factor. The idea of being able to put Smith, Ellington and Patton on the field together would be interesting...if they can get off the LOS.

I think Patton and Elington are both considerably faster than Crab. Patton looked much faster last year than he did in college, and Ellington seems like he gets to top speed in about five steps.
Originally posted by crake49:

I hope Curry and Henry get a private workout with him. It would be good to see how much he has improved his route running with his combine prep coaches, and it would be good to see how coachable he is.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think Patton and Elington are both considerably faster than Crab. Patton looked much faster last year than he did in college, and Ellington seems like he gets to top speed in about five steps.

Yes, it's always interesting to see guys play faster than their 40 times would indicate. Smith plays up to his time though.
Share 49ersWebzone