There are 148 users in the forums

hjkl

I think trading back far enough to get an extra second could allow us a reasonable chance to get a late 1st guy like Perriman and a 3rd round guy like Lockette or Dorsey/Smith (if they fall: lots of WRs in this draft), without messing up out draft priorities and missing out on needs. FA could be telling, too. Nailing down Cully or Cox eliminates need at CB, and Cowboy seems likely to return, which would give us another year to see what we have in Carradine and Dial.
Originally posted by crew:
It will be interesting to see Breshard Perriman's Pro Day results. Niners could trade down to #25 with Carolina, take Perriman there and pick up an extra 2nd RD pick.
Don't like the chances of Perriman being there at #46 in the 2nd.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Perriman still seems pretty raw to me. If Tomsula and Baalke have a lot of faith in Henry and Curry, maybe we get a guy like Perriman with elite talent who needs a lot of work.

Not sure about Perriman but I haven't watched much of his video. WR is such a crapshoot that even when I fall in love with a player I never want to draft them ahead of an equal player at another position of need. That's why even though K White is really one of my favorites, I would take Shelton if both are available at 15.

The niners are fortunate that their two top need positions happen to be deep this year...DL and WR. If Baalke does his normal magic with DBs they may be able to concentrate on these two by taking two at each. How about--WR: Smith 2nd, Perriman in the 3rd; DL: Shelton 1st and McCarthy (UCLA) 4th? Or...

Getting excited by the Combine but so long before the draft!
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
Anyone know when the official times start coming in?

If John were her, he'd laugh too! Great screen name. Commando style. I love it and appreciate it! "I enjoy you!" Haha
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Are you suggesting the niners trade down in the first, trade up in the second or draft Parker at 15? My worries about Smith are the same as they were before he ran...that he's a 6' one route phenomena. I would like a guy who has proven with production that he can go over the middle as well as down the field. That requires the niners look for a stronger guy if one falls to them at 15. Not sure there is one at 46 that stands out.

I definitely wasn't suggesting they draft Parker at 15. Parker's a really good prospect, but he's not the kind of prospect who blows me away at 15. I'd much rater trade down & get Devin Smith (or DGB for that matter). I don't see a ton of difference between Parker and Jalen Strong (although Parker has better ball skills IMO).

As far as your one-route worry, I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. When I watched him play I didn't notice him having any trouble running a large variety of different routes.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Feb 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Are you suggesting the niners trade down in the first, trade up in the second or draft Parker at 15? My worries about Smith are the same as they were before he ran...that he's a 6' one route phenomena. I would like a guy who has proven with production that he can go over the middle as well as down the field. That requires the niners look for a stronger guy if one falls to them at 15. Not sure there is one at 46 that stands out.

I definitely wasn't suggesting they draft Parker at 15. Parker's a really good prospect, but he's not the kind of prospect who blows me away at 15. I'd much rater trade down & get Devin Smith (or DGB for that matter).

As far as your one-route worry, I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. When I watched him play I didn't notice him having any trouble running a large variety of different routes.

I've seen him run plenty of in-breaking routes, but I haven't seen comebacks or other more complicated routes.
  • crew
  • Veteran
I definitely wasn't suggesting they draft Parker at 15. Parker's a really good prospect, but he's not the kind of prospect who blows me away at 15. I'd much rater trade down & get Devin Smith (or DGB for that matter). I don't see a ton of difference between Parker and Jalen Strong (although Parker has better ball skills IMO).

Both Smith and DGB should be there at #25, trade down with Carolina, gives Niners 2 picks in the 2nd.

Both Smith and DGB should be there at #25, trade down with Carolina, gives Niners 2 picks in the 2nd.

Takes two to make that trade and I'm not sure moving 10 spots is worth a 2nd.

Why does Carolina want to trade up?
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:

For an offensive lineman possibly. This is a very weak offensive line class, but Carolina may like one of the top OT's who is available when we pick.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:

For an offensive lineman possibly. This is a very weak offensive line class, but Carolina may like one of the top OT's who is available when we pick.

I thought this was a post about Devin Smith...oh wait, it is. LOL Seriously, Smith only reinforced my analysis of his skillset in the combine. The things I really love about this kid is his ability to stay tough and focused as the ball's in the air, then making the right adjustments to come down with it. I think he'd be a great pick...and a guy who could consistently stretch the field and make big plays.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I thought this was a post about Devin Smith...oh wait, it is. LOL Seriously, Smith only reinforced my analysis of his skillset in the combine. The things I really love about this kid is his ability to stay tough and focused as the ball's in the air, then making the right adjustments to come down with it. I think he'd be a great pick...and a guy who could consistently stretch the field and make big plays.

if we don't get one of the top 3 WRs I hope we land this kid in the 2nd!
One dimensional if Ginn is signed its not gonna be this guy
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
One dimensional if Ginn is signed its not gonna be this guy

He isn't even close to Ginn when's the last time you saw Ginn track a deep ball and make adjustments, block, catch a ball at the high point, actually not avoid contact or do this...

Ginn wouldn't even line up as a WR if they sign him. He has and always will be a ST player and that's it....

Smith is the best deep ball catcher in the draft and showed he can run routes at the SB. He blew up Wisconsin and Michigan ST, both who were top defenses in NCAA and beat some very good CBs at Michigan ST. 33 catches = 12 TDs that's wild, the kid is a play maker! When Jones became the QB and they started throwing the ball he showed what he can do....I'd be stoked to get him in the 2nd perfect fit for Kap.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He isn't even close to Ginn when's the last time you saw Ginn track a deep ball and make adjustments, block, catch a ball at the high point, actually not avoid contact or do this...

Ginn wouldn't even line up as a WR if they sign him. He has and always will be a ST player and that's it....

Smith is the best deep ball catcher in the draft and showed he can run routes at the SB. He blew up Wisconsin and Michigan ST, both who were top defenses in NCAA and beat some very good CBs at Michigan ST. 33 catches = 12 TDs that's wild, the kid is a play maker! When Jones became the QB and they started throwing the ball he showed what he can do....I'd be stoked to get him in the 2nd perfect fit for Kap.

Must be nice to forget the past. Ginn was a much better prospect coming out of Ohio State. He was a bust for his draft slot but he could do everything Smith did in OSU and more.
Share 49ersWebzone