There are 140 users in the forums

hjkl

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He isn't even close to Ginn when's the last time you saw Ginn track a deep ball and make adjustments, block, catch a ball at the high point, actually not avoid contact or do this...

Ginn wouldn't even line up as a WR if they sign him. He has and always will be a ST player and that's it....

Smith is the best deep ball catcher in the draft and showed he can run routes at the SB. He blew up Wisconsin and Michigan ST, both who were top defenses in NCAA and beat some very good CBs at Michigan ST. 33 catches = 12 TDs that's wild, the kid is a play maker! When Jones became the QB and they started throwing the ball he showed what he can do....I'd be stoked to get him in the 2nd perfect fit for Kap.

Must be nice to forget the past. Ginn was a much better prospect coming out of Ohio State. He was a bust for his draft slot but he could do everything Smith did in OSU and more.

He was over drafted and everyone thought that coming out of college. Go look at his highlight tapes...a bunch of kick returns and open field catches nothing more. Smith is bigger and stronger, doesn't avoid contact, tracks deep balls, blocks, and can make adjustments. Please show me tape of Ginn doing any of that let alone catching contested balls, like Smith does. He was a great ST talent nothing more.

Also Ginn was the 9th pick in the draft, I'm talking about taking Smith in the 2nd rd.

The only thing they have in common is they are both fast and went to OSU...nothing more.
Getting Devin Smith in the second would be fantastic. When I watch him play, he looks like a stronger, bigger Djax to me. The guy definitely plays faster than his 40 and his 40 wasn't bad anyway.
Originally posted by crake49:
Getting Devin Smith in the second would be fantastic. When I watch him play, he looks like a stronger, bigger Djax to me. The guy definitely plays faster than his 40 and his 40 wasn't bad anyway.

Seems like a Mike Wallace kind of player. I'd take that in a second (I loved Wallace at Ole Miss; kind of like I loved Donte Moncrief).
Originally posted by crake49:

This now that we signed dockett I think we can go BPA in RD 1 and get smith in the 2nd...I could live with boldin, SJ, smith, Ellington, and Patton as our WR core....throw in fact that he was probably the best gunner in college last yr doesn't hurt either.
He isn't even close to Ginn when's the last time you saw Ginn track a deep ball and make adjustments, block, catch a ball at the high point, actually not avoid contact or do this...

Ginn wouldn't even line up as a WR if they sign him. He has and always will be a ST player and that's it....

Smith is the best deep ball catcher in the draft and showed he can run routes at the SB. He blew up Wisconsin and Michigan ST, both who were top defenses in NCAA and beat some very good CBs at Michigan ST. 33 catches = 12 TDs that's wild, the kid is a play maker! When Jones became the QB and they started throwing the ball he showed what he can do....I'd be stoked to get him in the 2nd perfect fit for Kap.

Must be nice to forget the past. Ginn was a much better prospect coming out of Ohio State. He was a bust for his draft slot but he could do everything Smith did in OSU and more.

He was over drafted and everyone thought that coming out of college. Go look at his highlight tapes...a bunch of kick returns and open field catches nothing more. Smith is bigger and stronger, doesn't avoid contact, tracks deep balls, blocks, and can make adjustments. Please show me tape of Ginn doing any of that let alone catching contested balls, like Smith does. He was a great ST talent nothing more.

Also Ginn was the 9th pick in the draft, I'm talking about taking Smith in the 2nd rd.

The only thing they have in common is they are both fast and went to OSU...nothing more.
The Ginn comparison is very lazy.
Originally posted by SFrush:

For sure. Imagine Ginn's timid little ass running downfield to cover a kick, lol. Hell, imagine him catching a contested pass. Ginn was a terrible draft pick and has never been an instinctive WR. Fans went nuts (not the good way) when he was drafted.

The point wasn't that Smith in round 2 would be a bad idea. It was that Ginn was a better prospect...over drafted as he was that still is the case. Ginn was dangerous anywhere on the field. Just never translated to the NFL as a receiver.

You're trying to paint Smith as some well rounded prospect and that's not the case. He's a great deep threat but he's limited outside of that. His own offense saw him off the field plenty of times in single receiver sets. If he's what you make him out to be he'd never leave the field.
Signed Jerome SimSimpson this guy is out in my book
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

I'm pretty certain Simpsons signing didn't change our draft board one bit. Doubt he's getting big guarantee money if any and may not even make the 53.

Smith and every other WR is still very much in play.

The point wasn't that Smith in round 2 would be a bad idea. It was that Ginn was a better prospect...over drafted as he was that still is the case. Ginn was dangerous anywhere on the field. Just never translated to the NFL as a receiver.

You're trying to paint Smith as some well rounded prospect and that's not the case. He's a great deep threat but he's limited outside of that. His own offense saw him off the field plenty of times in single receiver sets. If he's what you make him out to be he'd never leave the field.

Where am I painting him as a well rounded WR? I'm stating things that he excels at that Ginn doesn't. He isn't my favorite WR in this class and has to learn how to run better routes (we finally have a good WR coach)...like someone else said it's very lazy to compare him to Ginn because they are both fast and from OSU.

OSU was 4th in rushing attempts in the NCAA last year, but ranked 70th in passing attempts. They simply didn't throw the ball until Jones became the QB. Smith had 33 rec for 12 TD! and avg 28 ypc, if that doesn't scream play maker than I don't know what to tell ya.

He would be a great pick in the 2nd if they don't get one of the big 3.

Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Jerome is the answer to our problems lol...he is a camp body and I doubt he is active come game day.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by SFrush:

For sure. Imagine Ginn's timid little ass running downfield to cover a kick, lol. Hell, imagine him catching a contested pass. Ginn was a terrible draft pick and has never been an instinctive WR. Fans went nuts (not the good way) when he was drafted.
He was drafted ahead of Willis, Beast Mode, and Revised Island
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
He was drafted ahead of Willis, Beast Mode, and Revised Island

Right! Miami

He never showed anything in college that screamed great WR. He was fast and that's about it. I can see Smith becoming a Djax type of player.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 6, 2015 at 8:56 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I have been thinking that we should trade back 1 or 2 times in the 1st round, collect a few extra 3rd round picks and draft Devin Smith with our 1st round pick. Him and Torrey Smith on the field at the same time will open up everything underneath and we would be running against a 6 man box. The fefense will have to play off and at minimum take 1 safety deep, maybe 2.
Whether it's Devin Smith or someone else, the team would be wise to draft another speed threat for the reasons of 1) Insurance for Torrey Smith, and 2) A guy to rotate in to give defense even more speed to deal with.

At the same time, I think we need to get Patton involved and use him on deeper routes, because that's the type of game he's best suited for. Deep passes, screens, and quick passes to utilize his speed. He may be the quickest receiver on the team.
Share 49ersWebzone