There are 219 users in the forums

hjkl

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Whether it's Devin Smith or someone else, the team would be wise to draft another speed threat for the reasons of 1) Insurance for Torrey Smith, and 2) A guy to rotate in to give defense even more speed to deal with.

At the same time, I think we need to get Patton involved and use him on deeper routes, because that's the type of game he's best suited for. Deep passes, screens, and quick passes to utilize his speed. He may be the quickest receiver on the team.

Maybe. I still think it's Ellington. It would be nuts to use a package with them in opposite slots, murdering underneath coverage with Torrey and Devon (Smith Bros: offense chapter) clearing things out over the top.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Mar 16, 2015 at 1:06 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Whether it's Devin Smith or someone else, the team would be wise to draft another speed threat for the reasons of 1) Insurance for Torrey Smith, and 2) A guy to rotate in to give defense even more speed to deal with.

At the same time, I think we need to get Patton involved and use him on deeper routes, because that's the type of game he's best suited for. Deep passes, screens, and quick passes to utilize his speed. He may be the quickest receiver on the team.

Maybe. I still think it's Ellington. It would be nuts to use a package with them in opposite slots, murdering underneath coverage with Torrey and Devon (Smith Bros: offense chapter) clearing things out over the top.
That is exactly what I was thinking. The Smith Bro's would clear up so much space and we will have plenty of chances to hit them deep for chunck plays. It would be hard to contain that kind of speed on both sides of the field for a large portion of the game. I want to draft tis guy so bad.
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman 4m4 minutes ago
Ohio State WR Devin Smith (on @SiriusXMNFL) says he "got a great feel" #49ers might draft him upon recent visit. I can see that (or DL, OLB)
Originally posted by slowriot:
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman 4m4 minutes ago
Ohio State WR Devin Smith (on @SiriusXMNFL) says he "got a great feel" #49ers might draft him upon recent visit. I can see that (or DL, OLB)

If he's sitting there at 46 I wouldn't hate it.
he's got flashes, but i just don't get excited with the prospect of having him. maybe it's because of the system he's coming from.
Originally posted by pd24:

That is exactly what I was thinking. The Smith Bro's would clear up so much space and we will have plenty of chances to hit them deep for chunck plays. It would be hard to contain that kind of speed on both sides of the field for a large portion of the game. I want to draft tis guy so bad.

I think Devin would start out as a package player and I hope that Patton and Ellington would get the majority of the snaps in the slot. But it's true, if we did get Devin Smith, I would love to see us utilize the collective speed we have with Torrey and him taking the top off while Boldin/Patton/Ellington tear apart defenses underneath.

Biggest key in all of this though: Pass protection. It doesn't matter how much speed you have if you cannot pass protect long enough for them to get downfield. I think it's very important we get some insurance and QUALITY depth for our OL, not just developmental guys, in this draft.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
he's got flashes, but i just don't get excited with the prospect of having him. maybe it's because of the system he's coming from.

IMO, it all depends on whether or not Henry believes he can be coached up to be a precise and sudden route runner. If he can consistently gain separation in the intermediate gain to force CBs to cover his feigns, he will be more versatile and even more deadly as a deep threat.

IMO, it all depends on whether or not Henry believes he can be coached up to be a precise and sudden route runner. If he can consistently gain separation in the intermediate gain to force CBs to cover his feigns, he will be more versatile and even more deadly as a deep threat.

so are you saying thatDevin can be coached into being a No.1 Receiver?
Devin Smith could he be the next Bucky Pope? The Catawba Claw back in 1964 caught 25 passes for 786 yards, 31.44 yards per catch!
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

I'm saying I don't know that he can or he can't, but for the first time in a decade I trust the WR coach to assess that. I think he is fast, sudden, and agile, but undeveloped as a route runner. I think he is possibly the most gifted deep threat in this draft, and he has the physical tools to gain separation, if he's able to develop them. He's also very good at catching contested balls. The tools are there, but I have know idea if he can pull them all together like Cooper and OBJ already have.

I'm saying I don't know that he can or he can't, but for the first time in a decade I trust the WR coach to assess that. I think he is fast, sudden, and agile, but undeveloped as a route runner. I think he is possibly the most gifted deep threat in this draft, and he has the physical tools to gain separation, if he's able to develop them. He's also very good at catching contested balls. The tools are there, but I have know idea if he can pull them all together like Cooper and OBJ already have.

You know its hard to tell because of what He was asked to do in meyer`s Offense@ Ohio St.,And you are right We have some real Nice WR coaches now ,even though Curry was here the last few years,He was not calling the shots,so let`s see what He and Henry can do now that the wraps have been taken off,I wonder if D Smith really thinks the 9ers will draft Him,since He made the statement about feeling real good about the visit or is He blowing smoke? if the 9ers do draft Him would they draft Him at 15 or move down? If he does go to the niners that would give them some serious deadly speed on the outside along with VD and Ellington is not slow either in the slot that would be scary and it would cause Dick Sherman nightmares,I`m still seeing how ODB abused Him and had Him grabbing air with his speed. I can see it nowSherman will be needing help,no longer will He be setting on Crabtree slow ass....let`s make it happen Baalke
They don't want to miss on desean Jackson again.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

Jackson was a much better prospect coming out.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

I hear what you`re saying.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I hear what you`re saying.

Attitude I believe dropped him into second rd. Jerry Rice endorsed him yet we passed. We could have gotten him last off season as well had we not been trying to extend Crabtree. Smh
Share 49ersWebzone