There are 222 users in the forums

hjkl

Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
They don't want to miss on desean Jackson again.

I hear what you`re saying.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I hear what you`re saying.

Attitude I believe dropped him into second rd. Jerry Rice endorsed him yet we passed. We could have gotten him last off season as well had we not been trying to extend Crabtree. Smh

Attitude I believe dropped him into second rd. Jerry Rice endorsed him yet we passed. We could have gotten him last off season as well had we not been trying to extend Crabtree. Smh

I reallybelieve Baalke has learned His Lesson and He will be Drafting a WR in the 1st rd,you can bank on it.Now who it is I cannot tell you,it could be D Smith ,it could be DGB, cooper, White,or Strong,Perriman,or Parker,But it is most assuredly gonna be a WR.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 22, 2015 at 12:54 AM ]
I reallybelieve Baalke has learned His Lesson and He will be Drafting a WR in the 1st rd,you can bank on it.Now who it is I cannot tell you,it could be D Smith ,it could be DGB, cooper, White,or Strong,Perriman,or Parker,But it is most assuredly gonna be a WR.

Baalke has learned his lesson?
When did he learn that? I'm assuming you are talking about how he didn't trade up last year for an OBJ type player or Benajmin.
Let me remind you that he actually did try and trade up, the value was just too high.

It would have cost us Ward, Hyde, Borland, and possibly a pick this year. Not worth it at all.

IF he were to take D.Smith, it would be in the second, which I would be fine with.
LOL at Baalke taking White or Cooper, that would require us trading into the top 7.

I highly doubt Baalke takes a WR, given neither of us will know until the draft. There are just too many other bigger needs that didn't receive any attention in free agency for Baalke to draft depth at WR. The only way we take a WR with our first pick is if either Cooper, White fall that far (won't happen)
[ Edited by Quest4six on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Baalke has learned his lesson?
When did he learn that? I'm assuming you are talking about how he didn't trade up last year for an OBJ type player or Benajmin.
Let me remind you that he actually did try and trade up, the value was just too high.

It would have cost us Ward, Hyde, Borland, and possibly a pick this year. Not worth it at all.

IF he were to take D.Smith, it would be in the second, which I would be fine with.
LOL at Baalke taking White or Cooper, that would require us trading into the top 7.

I highly doubt Baalke takes a WR, given neither of us will know until the draft. There are just too many other bigger needs that didn't receive any attention in free agency for Baalke to draft depth at WR. The only way we take a WR with our first pick is if either Cooper, White fall that far (won't happen)

Here we go,with "Bigger Holes or Needs " crap again,It`s going to be a WR in the 1st rd you don`t have to believe it and just because You don`t believe it does not mean it won`t happen I know this for sure,My vision and Your vision are Not on the Same page. Boldin replacement will be addressed this year in the 1st rd,you can bank on it whether you agree or not,it`s going to happen captin.
Here we go,with "Bigger Holes or Needs " crap again,It`s going to be a WR in the 1st rd you don`t have to believe it and just because You don`t believe it does not mean it won`t happen I know this for sure,My vision and Your vision are Not on the Same page. Boldin replacement will be addressed this year in the 1st rd,you can bank on it whether you agree or not,it`s going to happen captin.

Bigger holes/needs crap?
Lol my opinion isn't crap, I got it from researching and looking up past history of drafts.
We are a running football team. Baalke has said that, and so has Tomsula.

Why would we use a 1st round pick on a WR that will most likely play a limited number of snaps and take away from other WRs that we have drafted in previous years?
Do you think we are all of a sudden going to switch to a 3-4 WR set football team that has an aerial attack like the Saints? Baalke has said himself we aren't.
Yes, I would agree that Cooper, Parker, and White should be taken if they fall to 15. I would be all for that.
Chances are they go way before 15 and the WRs that will be there aren't going to be worth taking and probably won't even be BPA! I can name around 15-20 players that I would consider BPA before Strong/Perriman/Smith/DGB and whomever else might be there.

We lost our best run blocker, our starting running back, two starting corners, an all-pro inside linebacker, and potentially both of our starting defensive ends.
We didn't lose any WR except Crabs (probably a benefit) and we signed Torrey and people think we will still spend a 15th on a WR. I'm willing to bet we draft a WR, just not a 15.

Carl Davis, Marcus Peters, Malcolm Brown, La'El Collins, Todd Gurley, Shane Ray, Byron Jones, Jalen Collins, D.J. Hupmphries, Eddie Goldman
Those are all guys I would rather have than the bolded.

Like you said, it's just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong (I have before). There just isn't anything about any of the guys we could get a 15 that scream franchise WR like many people are looking for. I think we have other holes to fill in order for us to get back to the identity of this team.
In all honesty, with the type of offense we run, flashy playmaking WRs aren't a need, they are a benefit.
The needs are in our trenches, our running game, and our defense.
I like this dude or Phillip Dorsett in the 2nd or 3d
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Bigger holes/needs crap?
Lol my opinion isn't crap, I got it from researching and looking up past history of drafts.
We are a running football team. Baalke has said that, and so has Tomsula.

Why would we use a 1st round pick on a WR that will most likely play a limited number of snaps and take away from other WRs that we have drafted in previous years?
Do you think we are all of a sudden going to switch to a 3-4 WR set football team that has an aerial attack like the Saints? Baalke has said himself we aren't.
Yes, I would agree that Cooper, Parker, and White should be taken if they fall to 15. I would be all for that.
Chances are they go way before 15 and the WRs that will be there aren't going to be worth taking and probably won't even be BPA! I can name around 15-20 players that I would consider BPA before Strong/Perriman/Smith/DGB and whomever else might be there.

We lost our best run blocker, our starting running back, two starting corners, an all-pro inside linebacker, and potentially both of our starting defensive ends.
We didn't lose any WR except Crabs (probably a benefit) and we signed Torrey and people think we will still spend a 15th on a WR. I'm willing to bet we draft a WR, just not a 15.

Carl Davis, Marcus Peters, Malcolm Brown, La'El Collins, Todd Gurley, Shane Ray, Byron Jones, Jalen Collins, D.J. Hupmphries, Eddie Goldman
Those are all guys I would rather have than the bolded.

Like you said, it's just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong (I have before). There just isn't anything about any of the guys we could get a 15 that scream franchise WR like many people are looking for. I think we have other holes to fill in order for us to get back to the identity of this team.
In all honesty, with the type of offense we run, flashy playmaking WRs aren't a need, they are a benefit.
The needs are in our trenches, our running game, and our defense.

Boldin`s replacement,Boldin replacement,Boldin`s Replacement, Must plan for the Future, ILB is also a need for the near future, and a safety for the future in case Ried gets too many dings, One thing I have noticed ab out Baalke is that He seems to plan a year or 2 ahead for departing players ,He drafted 2 OLs last year,He also drafted a DE and 3 Cbs, of which 1 got valuable playing time last year,what I`m saying is the Cupbboard is Not Bare .
Boldin`s replacement,Boldin replacement,Boldin`s Replacement, Must plan for the Future, ILB is also a need for the near future, and a safety for the future in case Ried gets too many dings, One thing I have noticed ab out Baalke is that He seems to plan a year or 2 ahead for departing players ,He drafted 2 OLs last year,He also drafted a DE and 3 Cbs, of which 1 got valuable playing time last year,what I`m saying is the Cupbboard is Not Bare .

Guard can also be added to future needs, Boone is in his last year. Scherff, Collins and Erving (off a trade down)all could be solid picks.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
I like this dude or Phillip Dorsett in the 2nd or 3d

I like Dorsett also, but the team has taken AJ, Patton and The Duke, all three the same size and all whiffed so far.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Whether it's Devin Smith or someone else, the team would be wise to draft another speed threat for the reasons of 1) Insurance for Torrey Smith, and 2) A guy to rotate in to give defense even more speed to deal with.

At the same time, I think we need to get Patton involved and use him on deeper routes, because that's the type of game he's best suited for. Deep passes, screens, and quick passes to utilize his speed. He may be the quickest receiver on the team.

Maybe. I still think it's Ellington. It would be nuts to use a package with them in opposite slots, murdering underneath coverage with Torrey and Devon (Smith Bros: offense chapter) clearing things out over the top.
That is exactly what I was thinking. The Smith Bro's would clear up so much space and we will have plenty of chances to hit them deep for chunck plays. It would be hard to contain that kind of speed on both sides of the field for a large portion of the game. I want to draft tis guy so bad.

I think Devin would start out as a package player and I hope that Patton and Ellington would get the majority of the snaps in the slot. But it's true, if we did get Devin Smith, I would love to see us utilize the collective speed we have with Torrey and him taking the top off while Boldin/Patton/Ellington tear apart defenses underneath.

Biggest key in all of this though: Pass protection. It doesn't matter how much speed you have if you cannot pass protect long enough for them to get downfield. I think it's very important we get some insurance and QUALITY depth for our OL, not just developmental guys, in this draft.
Which is why I wouldn't mind at all if they went say Cam Erving in the first and Devin Smith in the second. Ripple effect on the oline if Erving were to start at center. Then you could see Martin and or Kilgore competing at guard along with Brandon Thomas and Boone. Or have Erving at guard and Thomas as swing tackle. So many possibilities. Oh and I forgot Pears and Looney.

Only bummer for me if we got Devin Smith would be not getting Agholor who while a different wr than Smith, I also really like the more I watch him. So fast and smooth and sudden when watching him. Nice hands too and a huge boost to our special teams. The kind of guy I could see giving Dick some real problems.

Maybe a consolation prize if no Devin Smith.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I like Dorsett also, but the team has taken AJ, Patton and The Duke, all three the same size and all whiffed so far.

Who's the Duke?

As for Patton how exactly was that a whiff in late 4th round? Only whiff was Jenkins.
Originally posted by genus49:
Who's the Duke?

As for Patton how exactly was that a whiff in late 4th round? Only whiff was Jenkins.

Patton has not played and that constitutes a DNP line in most games. How long do you wait for something to happen. I used a word play with Ellington, Duke Ellington, composer, musician, genius of the 20th century. Take the A-Train.
I wouldn't really be a fan of drafting Devin Smith. I see him more as a #2 receiver. We already have that in Torrey Smith. I want someone with true #1 potential that can strike fear into opposing defenses because he can beat them in more ways than one. I want a guy who can work the short, intermediate, and deep routes and also be a threat in the redzone. You never know, but I just don't think Devin Smith offers as much as some others guys in this draft.
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Which is why I wouldn't mind at all if they went say Cam Erving in the first and Devin Smith in the second. Ripple effect on the oline if Erving were to start at center. Then you could see Martin and or Kilgore competing at guard along with Brandon Thomas and Boone. Or have Erving at guard and Thomas as swing tackle. So many possibilities. Oh and I forgot Pears and Looney.

Only bummer for me if we got Devin Smith would be not getting Agholor who while a different wr than Smith, I also really like the more I watch him. So fast and smooth and sudden when watching him. Nice hands too and a huge boost to our special teams. The kind of guy I could see giving Dick some real problems.

What happened to Kilgore at center? There's competition at ONE spot and there are 4 replacements currently on the team (Martin,Looney,Thomas,Pears)....in reality who would Baalke be more likely to resign in 2016 a 35 year old Boldin, who will want his $6 million a year or a much younger Boone at around $4 million?

It's much much easier to find a guard replacement than a #1 WR. If they can make a play for a top tier WR I'm all for it. That money that could have went to Boldin next year could go towards Boone/Davis/Smith. I doubt Trent will want to spend over $14 million on two WRs next year.

Baalke also has to take advantage of the new rookie pay scale and positions that will command the most cash down the road.

Top 15 WR avg salary is $9.8 million
top 15 OG avg salary is $6.3 million

I'd rather have a top WR on a 4-5 yr rookie contract than a top OG, just my opinion.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:

What happened to Kilgore at center? There's competition at ONE spot and there are 4 replacements currently on the team (Martin,Looney,Thomas,Pears)....in reality who would Baalke be more likely to resign in 2016 a 35 year old Boldin, who will want his $6 million a year or a much younger Boone at around $4 million?

It's much much easier to find a guard replacement than a #1 WR. If they can make a play for a top tier WR I'm all for it. That money that could have went to Boldin next year could go towards Boone/Davis/Smith. I doubt Trent will want to spend over $14 million on two WRs next year.

Baalke also has to take advantage of the new rookie pay scale and positions that will command the most cash down the road.

Top 15 WR avg salary is $9.8 million
top 15 OG avg salary is $6.3 million

I'd rather have a top WR on a 4-5 yr rookie contract than a top OG, just my opinion.
Well said and thought out.
Share 49ersWebzone