There are 176 users in the forums

hjkl

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I wouldn't really be a fan of drafting Devin Smith. I see him more as a #2 receiver. We already have that in Torrey Smith. I want someone with true #1 potential that can strike fear into opposing defenses because he can beat them in more ways than one. I want a guy who can work the short, intermediate, and deep routes and also be a threat in the redzone. You never know, but I just don't think Devin Smith offers as much as some others guys in this draft.

I can see why you stated this,But you also have to consider How he was used at Ohio St. So we really don`t know just how good He can be,or if He can be coached up to be a true No.1 receiver,maybe he can with the receiver coaches we have now,maybe now the receivers we now have will begin to Blossom now that J Morton is gone,who seemed to never be able to develop anybody.
Devin Smith i just a poor man's version of Amari Cooper. Shoot i dont even want Cooper let alone Smith. 6 feet n under i dont want any part of that.

We already have some speed at a decent size at WR (Torrey Smith) we need to get a big target for Kap so unless we draft a WR that is over 6'3" 220 lbs + i dont want us to keep wasting our times with smaller wide outs we already have Ellington & Patton. I would like to just be able to get into the red zone & have Kap just throw up a jump ball & have or big body WR just go up n get it just like Cam used Kelvin Benjamin last yr i want the same thing as well.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I wouldn't really be a fan of drafting Devin Smith. I see him more as a #2 receiver. We already have that in Torrey Smith. I want someone with true #1 potential that can strike fear into opposing defenses because he can beat them in more ways than one. I want a guy who can work the short, intermediate, and deep routes and also be a threat in the redzone. You never know, but I just don't think Devin Smith offers as much as some others guys in this draft.

I can see why you stated this,But you also have to consider How he was used at Ohio St. So we really don`t know just how good He can be,or if He can be coached up to be a true No.1 receiver,maybe he can with the receiver coaches we have now,maybe now the receivers we now have will begin to Blossom now that J Morton is gone,who seemed to never be able to develop anybody.

Smith kinda reminds me of Jeremy Maclin coming out of college. They are both fast, similar size, and were a threat to score every time they touch the ball. Maclin wasn't known for his route-running at Missouri either.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Devin Smith i just a poor man's version of Amari Cooper. Shoot i dont even want Cooper let alone Smith. 6 feet n under i dont want any part of that.

We already have some speed at a decent size at WR (Torrey Smith) we need to get a big target for Kap so unless we draft a WR that is over 6'3" 220 lbs + i dont want us to keep wasting our times with smaller wide outs we already have Ellington & Patton. I would like to just be able to get into the red zone & have Kap just throw up a jump ball & have or big body WR just go up n get it just like Cam used Kelvin Benjamin last yr i want the same thing as well.

What? First Cooper is 6-1 and smoked the SEC the past 3 years. He caught 124 balls for over 1,700 yards and 16 TDs with Blake Sims throwing him the ball (this past season)!

His combine was comparable to OBJ and he is bigger than him...I'll take a WR that gets CONSTANT separation, is fast, catches everything thrown his way, is a threat at all 3 levels of the field VS a big WR that doesn't run great routes but has upside .
Originally posted by NYniner85:

What? First Cooper is 6-1 and smoked the SEC the past 3 years. He caught 124 balls for over 1,700 yards and 16 TDs with Blake Sims throwing him the ball (this past season)!

His combine was comparable to OBJ and he is bigger than him...I'll take a WR that gets CONSTANT separation, is fast, catches everything thrown his way, is a threat at all 3 levels of the field VS a big WR that doesn't run great routes but has upside .

Not sold but you know what i am glad teams have considered him to be the #1 off the boards anyways so Cooper is out of the question regardless no way in hell we give up the farm to move into the top 5 for Cooper as for Smith i just hope if lets say Devante Parker & Jaelen Strong are gone by the time we pick at 15 we trade back into the mid 20's & get DGB & at the same time get xtra picks instead of staying put at 15 & drafting someone like Devin Smith that prob anyways should go in the 2nd.
Take a look see in the top 10 WR rankings on BR they have 6 WR's over 6'3" compare to only 4 smaller size WR's which tell you SIZE DOES MATTER. Get me a big boy anyday of the week.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2419009-br-nfl-draft-400-top-wide-receivers-for-2015/page/50
Take a look see in the top 10 WR rankings on BR they have 6 WR's over 6'3" compare to only 4 smaller size WR's which tell you SIZE DOES MATTER. Get me a big boy anyday of the week.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2419009-br-nfl-draft-400-top-wide-receivers-for-2015/page/50

lol at Bleacher Report...

Size doesn't always equal success at WR, I could name of a ton of WRs that are big and didn't do much in the NFL.

Look at the top 10 WRs this past season, minus Thomas/Jones they're all about the same size or smaller than Cooper. It's all about getting open and that's what Cooper has shown that he can do in the the toughest division on a constant basis. He doesn't have a flaw in his game other than he's not 6-4.

There's a reason that everyone says he's the best WR in the draft and if he drops to say the 6th pick in the draft (which could happen) We wouldn't have to "give up the farm" to get him.
Baalke already signed Torrey Smith and Jerome Simpson...two speed guys who can stretch the defense. Why would he spend a #1 pick on another WR? Doesn't pass the common sense test. He'll draft one, but probably not 'til 2nd or 3rd rd or so. There are so many other ways he can go in the 1st...DL, CB, pass rusher, etc. Don't buy into all the sports analyst's hype...Baalke has other needs and will address them. One not many are talking about is TE...this is arguably Vernon's last season as a Niner, and let's face it, there's not much receiving talent at that position. Don't be surprised if TB takes Walford early...he's a real playmaker and could step in and be productive early on, then take over for VD in 2016.

6 of the top 10 receivers in the NFL this season measured 6 feet or less, size does not matter. The 2 who looked most impressive this year were also under 6...ODBJ and Antonio Brown. And improving the passing offense in the red zone does not require a big receiver, it's all about scheming, matchups, play design, play calling and execution.

2008 Steelers won the SB with their top 3 receivers (Ward, Holmes and Washington) being 6"1 and under.

Peyton Mannings years in Indy with an annual top ranked O had the same with Wayne, Harrison, Stokely and later Garcon.

Greatest Show on Turf...same. Led by Holt, Bruce and Hakim.

Size is overrated.

So what about Steve Smith Sr. Desean Jackson,J Edileman, Antonio Brown,your argument doesn`t hold water son.

Originally posted by KRS-1:

6 of the top 10 receivers in the NFL this season measured 6 feet or less, size does not matter. The 2 who looked most impressive this year were also under 6...ODBJ and Antonio Brown. And improving the passing offense in the red zone does not require a big receiver, it's all about scheming, matchups, play design, play calling and execution.

2008 Steelers won the SB with their top 3 receivers (Ward, Holmes and Washington) being 6"1 and under.

Peyton Mannings years in Indy with an annual top ranked O had the same with Wayne, Harrison, Stokely and later Garcon.

Size is overrated.

same thing I stated below you and His argument just don`t make any kind of sense,I think He doe`nt understand "it anit the size of the dog in the fight,it`s the size of the fight in the dog".

Tell me,what translate to selling the FARM? what do you consider the trading of draft picks selling the FARM?,Giving up ALL but the 2 comp picks as selling the FARM?is that what you are saying,or are you just throwing blanket statements out there for the hell of it? please explain to me what selling the FARM means in your words only.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke already signed Torrey Smith and Jerome Simpson...two speed guys who can stretch the defense. Why would he spend a #1 pick on another WR? Doesn't pass the common sense test. He'll draft one, but probably not 'til 2nd or 3rd rd or so. There are so many other ways he can go in the 1st...DL, CB, pass rusher, etc. Don't buy into all the sports analyst's hype...Baalke has other needs and will address them. One not many are talking about is TE...this is arguably Vernon's last season as a Niner, and let's face it, there's not much receiving talent at that position. Don't be surprised if TB takes Walford early...he's a real playmaker and could step in and be productive early on, then take over for VD in 2016.

How does Jerome Simpson transform our offensive into anything better than last year? That my friend does not pass the common sense test. He doesn't have any guaranteed cash and will be lucky to make the final roster.

Torrey was a good signing but is far from a #1...he was 2nd in the league in drops at 18.3 % that is very very bad and doesn't equate to a reliable #1 .

It's not about need it's about get the BEST players on your team. Maybe Trent doesn't have a 1st round grade on any DL prospects, so why reach for one? Maybe he values someone like Cooper/White/Parker over other positions. He filled SF's "holes" with the 23 picks in the past two drafts and thru FA this off-season. We drafted Hyde last year in the 2nd when RB wasn't a need at the time, but because he was the BPA.

The Giant's didn't need a WR (just resigned Cruz) at 12 but grabbed OBJ because he was the BPA...how'd that work out?

Please let's reach for a 2-down NT because we don't already have two that have played at a high level when healthy.

Walford in any other draft wouldn't be a 2nd rd prospect. I've seen nothing in his film that leads me to believe he's a better player than VD (who can still be resigned) or Vance.

You think he would give up on Vance after a year in a half? That is a horrible way to manage a team, we aren't the Browns.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Size is overrated.

Thank you
If we went D in 1st round i would love D. Smith WR in the 2nd. Speed, speed, speed.
Share 49ersWebzone