LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 155 users in the forums

Patrick Mahomes QB

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
x2.

Air Raid QB with terrible accuracy. How is that a good fit for a WCO?

He'll be able to stand in the pocket and deliver short, accurate throws, which is largely what Kyle's offense is. We're talking about probably a 3rd rounder here. He's a developmental guy.

Mahomes has the elite arm and plays fearless. He's a 1st round talent. I can see him struggling mightily early on because he's accustomed to adlibbing and constantly going for the big play. Nickel and diming it down the field and hitting the RBs out of the backfield will be a change for him and I think it'll take some time for him to adopt a more conservative approach to the offense.

If I could select either of these guys I'd go with Mahomes all day. Kyle is going to have to really believe in him though because it'll be a significant investment, I feel. It'll probably require trading up from the 2nd into the 1st to grab him.

You have Arizona (#13) and Wash (#17) who could even surprise and snag him earlier. There's a lot of assumptions here, but neither of these guys are Pro-ready. My point is that they'll need to view Mahomes as the future due to the compensation required to acquire him. Webb, not so much.
[ Edited by strickac on Mar 1, 2017 at 6:21 AM ]
Originally posted by strickac:
He'll be able to stand in the pocket and deliver short, accurate throws, which is largely what Kyle's offense is. We're talking about probably a 3rd rounder here. He's a developmental guy.

Except he's not accurate and probably has the worst tendency of staring down his primary target of any QB expected to go in the first four rounds. To me he's just a typical Air Raid prospect but with a big arm, nothing more. If he didn't go to Cal, I doubt anyone would bring his name up on here.

Mahomes at least has ridiculous physical ability that blows away any previous QB coming out of the Air Raid, plus despite his mechanics he's managed to be fairly accurate. I have far more hope that he can get his issues straightened out as he has far better overall talent.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by babarvaart:
Favre was going to sit and develop behind Majkowski before that dude got wrecked and Favre was pressed into service (and Malkowski wasn't an awesome franchise guy to sit him behind).

Majik Man was a pro bowler in 1989, beat the Niners that year I think.

How many games did he start in the league after Favre replaced him? IMO, a 1 year pro bowler isn't awesome, just lucky. Dude started 16 games only once in his career, and he was nothing after GB. Matt freaking Schaub has had a more impressive career, and half the dudes here wouldn't even take him as a backup.

sorry to jump in by why in the hell is Favre getting brought up with this kid? Because he's got a big arm? Dude isn't Favre...

Well, just because they both have rare arm talent, iffy to ugly footwork, frequently throw off-platform, display the occasional WTF! moment, demonstrate elite confidence, show a rare natural feel for the game, improvise create frequently and often spectacularly, depend on their arm strength to turn dangerous throws into great throws, clearly love the game, pass on easy throws to attempt big plays, and require a steady coach to reign in their aggressive tendencies. Other than that, I have no idea why anyone would make the comparison .

All that said, I think Mahomes is MUCH more coachable.
Well, just because they both have rare arm talent, iffy to ugly footwork, frequently throw off-platform, display the occasional WTF! moment, demonstrate elite confidence, show a rare natural feel for the game, improvise create frequently and often spectacularly, depend on their arm strength to turn dangerous throws into great throws, clearly love the game, pass on easy throws to attempt big plays, and require a steady coach to reign in their aggressive tendencies. Other than that, I have no idea why anyone would make the comparison .

lol oh okay

I mean I could call him jeff george as well....it's cool he's your boy in this QB draft class, I don't see it at all but all good.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

lol oh okay

I mean I could call him jeff george as well....it's cool he's your boy in this QB draft class, I don't see it at all but all good.

I never got the sense Jeff George loved football, had a feel for the game, or was tremendously competitive or coachable. Loads of talent w/no heart, imo.

Mahomes has got a lot of work to do and a lot of games to play before the comparison w/Favre would have any legitimacy, but I think they have a lot of the same gifts and a lot of the same warts. It's as accurate a comparison as I've heard.
I never got the sense Jeff George loved football, had a feel for the game, or was tremendously competitive or coachable. Loads of talent w/no heart, imo.

Mahomes has got a lot of work to do and a lot of games to play before the comparison w/Favre would have any legitimacy, but I think they have a lot of the same gifts and a lot of the same warts. It's as accurate a comparison as I've heard.

See imo I think mahomes might have a ceiling of a Brett favre but he's got a floor of bortles/J Russell (football wise).

Stuff like this scares me

Zierlein stated the scout told him, "I like Patrick Mahomes but I've seen him a couple of times this year and he doesn't look like he's getting any better. I think he's being hurt by that play-calling and offense. It's like he's playing a different sport (in Texas Tech's offense), so projecting him won't be easy. Who is he going to be with a running game and better protection? That's what you have to figure out."

We can bring up highlights but there's plently of bad as well...he's not a timing and rhythm thrower (from what I've seen). All of that is tough for me if I was the GM to spend a 1st rd pick...too many what ifs and his ceiling and floor is too great for a early pick.

My top 5 qb big board is...

Turbisky
Watson
Peterman
Mahomes
Kizer

We will see
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Except he's not accurate and probably has the worst tendency of staring down his primary target of any QB expected to go in the first four rounds. To me he's just a typical Air Raid prospect but with a big arm, nothing more. If he didn't go to Cal, I doubt anyone would bring his name up on here.

Mahomes at least has ridiculous physical ability that blows away any previous QB coming out of the Air Raid, plus despite his mechanics he's managed to be fairly accurate. I have far more hope that he can get his issues straightened out as he has far better overall talent.

Like I said, Mahomes is the better prospect. I'm not disputing that. Webb leaves something to be desired on the deep ball. Underneath, he gets the ball out quick and he has a live arm. I think Kyle can work with that.

For the record, I'd be just fine with us moving up to grab Mahomes. We'd need need to sit him for a couple years. He has a future with the right coaching he could be a franchise QB.

One thing about Kyle is that he can adjust to a QB's strengths. Hell, anyone that can make Schaub a Pro Bowler deserves a medal. He also made Cleveland competitive with Hoyer. We'll be fine with whoever Kyle finds.
The younger Mahomes has spent his entire life as an accomplished youth athlete, immersed in locker rooms and playing fields. At Texas Tech, he played three distinguished seasons under Kliff Kingsbury as the trigger man in the Red Raiders' Air Raid offense. Sports is literally all Mahomes has known, from the bullpens to the batting cages to the practice fields. Leadership, teamwork, conditioning, selflessness, confidence, ambition, professionalism -- the very traits that can separate star quarterbacks from draft busts -- come naturally to him, those who know him best say, and it's not simply through osmosis, either.

From a very young age Mahomes, whose father pitched for 11 years in the majors, pushed his mentors for information, assistance, guidance, on how to become a better athlete, but also on how to conduct himself off the field, how to avoid pitfalls, how to navigate the trappings of fame and success, and the importance of shunning the partying lifestyle that could derail even the most promising of careers. Pat Mahomes and Hawkins fully supported Patrick's decision to pick the gridiron over the diamond -- he turned down a contract from the Tigers, who selected Mahomes in the 2014 MLB draft -- and are excited that one of college football's best-kept secrets is becoming much more of a household name through the early stages of the pre-draft process.

"We always tried to set a really good example for him," said Hawkins, who can recall sharing an apartment with baby Patrick and his parents in Puerto Rico in winter league baseball and running to the Burger King across the street to get him fries in the middle of the night. "And keep him not in a cocoon, but to try to keep our circle tight. And we've definitely been able to do that, because he's not one of those guys who is going to go out looking for people to validate that he is good enough. He doesn't need that. We don't have an entourage. We're not about that.

"And he understands that and he's a lot like me. His daddy always said, 'That boy acts just like you.' And you do have to safeguard yourself from some people who want to leach on you or bring you down or influence you not to do the right thing, and Patrick has done a great job of that.

"We always reinforce what the plan is and having the right people to help implement it with you, and I've always talked to him about taking care of your body, because your body is your temple, and if you take care of your body you are maximizing your God-given talent ... And He's one of those kids who retains so much information. He has like a photographic memory -- once you tell him something he'll never forget it."

Like his father and godfather, Mahomes was a star pitcher. He excelled at all sports but didn't really start playing organized football until seventh grade. By high school, he was totally hooked on quarterbacking and that's been his calling ever since. Despite the deep baseball bloodlines in his family, Mahomes, impeccably mannered with conversation sprinkled with "yes sirs" and "no sirs," received nothing but support for his decision.

"My mom and dad and godfather really left it up to me," Mahomes told me after another full day of quarterback training in California prepping for the combine. "They said whatever you enjoy the most, and whatever you feel like you do the best, we'll support you. They let me make the decision."

Patrick Mahomes said: "I feel like everything I saw as little kid had a great impact on my life, but I didn't realize it as much until I got older. Then I could really appreciate how these guys work so hard to stay in the league and to be a professional athlete, and you take from them how hard you have to work to get there. LaTroy really is a great role model for me in how to do things the right way. He did it the right way his entire career. He never drank, he always worked out to keep his body in the best shape possible, and he still looks like he could play today."

"He looked at the other guys on like his first day on campus," said Hawkins, who spent his final years in the majors trying to figure out how to watch and get to as many Texas Tech games as possible, "and after his first practice in Lubbock he told his dad and I, 'I'm better than those guys. I just don't know the system, yet. But I'm going to outplay them.' And his body of work the rest of his freshman, sophomore and junior years show you what type of young man he is. He is determined, and once he is determined to do something, there's not too many things that can stop him. Maybe a 300-pound defensive end running a 4.5 40, but even he's going to have a problem with him."

Mahomes said: "It's just about making myself the best player I can possibly be, so I'm ready to play from Day 1, and my goal is to win a Super Bowl. At Texas Tech I put up all the stats and all the yards, but we never got to a Big 12 Championship, and I want to hold a Trophy at the end of the season."

He's bracing for the onslaught of questions about what some might dub a gimmicky offense in college. He's quick to point out he was given significant audible freedom at the line of scrimmage and that he took plenty of practice reps under center, so the quarterback wouldn't only be accustomed to shotgun situations. Kingsbury imparts plenty of pro concepts, which Mahomes intends to display over the next two months.

"No doubt, the coaches and GMs will ask me about it," Mahomes said, "and it's a valid question, because not a lot of guys have worked out from it on pro teams. But I feel like I can break the mold."

As for his overall approach to these coming weeks, for Mahomes it's simple.

"It's definitely going to be me showing my passion for the game," Mahomes said. "They'll see that in how I talk about the game and how I play it. And win, lose or draw, how I'll fight until the end every game and they'll have to drag me off the field. I'm going out there every single day and doing something I love, so why not put everything into it? I've seen LaTroy and my dad do it their whole lives, give it all they have every single day, and that's the same thing I'm going to do."

Undoubtedly, few others in this draft class will have quite a deep history of such first-hand experiences to cull upon as they make the journey to the NFL. Few rookies will have a more intimate understanding of the type of alpha male locker room they are about to enter. Few, frankly, will be better prepared for the undertaking, and that background has helped mitigate some of the angst that the loved ones of these draft prospects undoubtedly experience with spring just ahead, and new beginnings abounding.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/in-a-high-risk-nfl-draft-for-qbs-patrick-mahomes-sure-doesnt-look-like-a-bust/
Texas Tech QB Pat Mahomes measured in 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds at the NFL Combine.

His hands are 9 1/4 inches. Mahomes hit all of the thresholds, as did the other top quarterbacks, so any conversation questioning size should evaporate. As of now, Mahomes' evaluation is generating the most buzz and momentum.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter
One NFL scout told Fox Sports' Peter Schrager it is "hard to see" Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes playing in his first year in the NFL.

If he is a first round pick, Mahomes will see the field during his first year unless he is behind a quality starter. Why do we know this? Every first round quarterback since Jake Locker has started at least one game in their rookie season. That has to be a part of the conversation for these teams when considering Mahomes. On the Rotoworld Football Podcast, Matt Waldman discussed his comfort with Mahomes' possibly playing during his rookie year.

I don't want Cardinals draft to Mahomes. I am sure that Cardinals will pass on Watson and Kizer. I hate a Cardinals!
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
I don't want Cardinals draft to Mahomes. I am sure that Cardinals will pass on Watson and Kizer. I hate a Cardinals!

Neither do I but they should be pulling the trigger this year. They can't keep putting it off. Carson Palmers career is getting close to its end.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by BuZzB05:

Neither do I but they should be pulling the trigger this year. They can't keep putting it off. Carson Palmers career is getting close to its end.

I think, Cardinals fans beg to Palmers can play one more a year or two years. And plus Cowboys fans became pretend Cardinals fans force to Palmer back play this season. I hate Cowboys fans and Cardinals fans and Seahawks fans.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Palmer is expected to be done after this year, along with Fitzgerald. Out here in Phoenix it has the feel of "one last year, go for broke" pretty much. With that in mind, I think they will try to acquire as many guys as possible that are ready to play but also find a QB to replace Palmer VERY early in the draft.

Mahomes would be such a perfect fit in their scheme I can't see them not at least giving him some very serious consideration. He's well suited to play their "chuck and duck" style of offense and with his athleticism would offer an added dimension that Palmer currently does not. A year of sitting and watching, being coached up by Tom Moore and the rest of their offensive staff, working with Drew Stanton who knows Arians system better than anyone else could have him well ready to start in 2018 once Palmer rides off into the sunset.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 2, 2017 at 9:18 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone