LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 152 users in the forums

Patrick Mahomes QB

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by strickac:
For as much as the commentators hyped up Webb at times today, he didn't impress me. He has some really nice throws, but he has some that just made you shake your head.

Watson and Trubisky looked really good. Mahomes was fine. Peterman was the one that caught my eye. He has excellent anticipation and placement on his throws.

Anticipation at combine throws???

Yeah, good job of finding the open man...

I heard he made excellent pre-snap reads at the combine too

Kept his eyes downfield; never dropped his eyes to avoid the rush.
For as much as the commentators hyped up Webb at times today, he didn't impress me. He has some really nice throws, but he has some that just made you shake your head.

Watson and Trubisky looked really good. Mahomes was fine. Peterman was the one that caught my eye. He has excellent anticipation and placement on his throws.

Yes, at the Combine. Particularly on the out routes, he threw the ball as the WRs were in their breaks and "anticipated" where the WR would be and delivered with excellent placement. QBs are only supposed to do it right in games?

Mahomes hesitated on the out routes and his throws were late and the ball was generally behind the WR. He wasn't able to lead them like Peterman did.
[ Edited by strickac on Mar 6, 2017 at 8:08 PM ]

Yes, at the Combine. Particularly on the out routes, he threw the ball as the WRs were in their breaks and "anticipated" where the WR would be and delivered with excellent placement. QBs are only supposed to do it right in games?

Mahomes hesitated on the out routes and his throws were late and the ball was generally behind the WR. He wasn't able to lead them like Peterman did.

Throwing with anticipation is throwing before the WR gets open, not throwing before his break. It just so happens that anticipation throwers often release the ball before the WRs break because the WR makes his break on many routed about the same time as when the coverage declares. There's no defense at the combine, so a QB can't throw with anticipation; he can throw with timing.

Timing is importanr within a system, but nit so much in a mish-mash of randoms like the combine. NFL teams give zero sh1ts about a QB waiting a beat for an unfamiliar WR to make his break before letting go of the ball. They want to see footwork, focus and zip (how the ball leaves the hand).

Peterman said he prepared for the combine by throwing a lot of combine routes to unfamiliar WRs. That decision wasn't made by him; it was made by whoever runs the facility he did his combine prep at, or by his independent QB coach. He's not suddenly a better QB than the other guys, simply because his support staff had a good draft prep plan.

They are throwing to unfamiliar wide receivers, its a big non issue. All that matters is the QB's form, release, and velocity they put on the ball. Well they should be in the vicinity of the target too, lol.

What group did Peterman throw with, I don't remember. I was watching when Mahomes group went out to throw and the first thing the commentator said was "Well this is weird, they are doing almost no warm ups compared to the first group." And then he went on to talk about how the QBs would probably be out of sync with the WRs due to that.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:48 AM ]
Personally, he's my favorite guy to watch of this class. If he's not a niner, I'll still be rooting for him. I love the way he plays.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Personally, he's my favorite guy to watch of this class. If he's not a niner, I'll still be rooting for him. I love the way he plays.

Agreed
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agreed

+1. I want him or Peterman. They can both benefit from a year behind Hoyer and learning from Shanahan. Love both of them for different reasons. Peterman is NFL ready, smart, and a talented passer. Mahomes is raw, elusive, amazing arm strength, and has hellllllla potential. heck, id love to have em both. I truly believe both of these guys will succeed in the NFL at some point.

Agreed

+2 unless he goes to arizona. then he can go f**k himself.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Agreed

Yeah! f**k that guy in the face if he chooses to be drafted by a team we don't like!

Agreed

Hey, Dallas or Seattle?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Agreed

Yeah! f**k that guy in the face if he chooses to be drafted by a team we don't like!

One can always refuse and re-enter the draft the next year lol.
  • KPaul
  • Veteran

Agreed

He has a little flair to his game, I feel like I'm watching a Steph Curry highlight video, only he's QBing. Idk if that makes any sense.
I don't want this guy. Doesn't seem like a team player, Never goes through his progressions, another kaepernick. No thanks.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I don't want this guy. Doesn't seem like a team player, Never goes through his progressions, another kaepernick. No thanks.

Huh? his teammates love him. He routinely takes a huge hit to deliver the ball. RE: progressions, the offense he's in is generally based on pre-snap reads, not post-snap progressions. There are several examples of him clearly moving through a progression, but that's not what he was generally asked to do. Scouts look for what he can do, not what he was coached to do.
Share 49ersWebzone