There are 176 users in the forums

Dorance Armstrong Jr, EDGE Kansas

Didn't see a thread for this guy. Just read him being mocked to us:

Round 2 – Pick 59: Dorance Armstrong Jr., EDGE, Kansas

Armstrong (6-4, 246) put himself on the map with a standout junior season of 56 tackles, 20 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. Although his production dipped in 2017, Armstrong put an impressive display of versatility and athleticism that makes him a fit for the 49ers' "Leo" pass-rusher role.
I would absolutely love for us to draft this guy no doubt
Originally posted by tohara3:

How does he fit in this defense? I think edge rusher and interior oline are the 2 biggest needs
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

How does he fit in this defense? I think edge rusher and interior oline are the 2 biggest needs

By watching his highlight tape I think he would be a situational LEO in our defense to start out who could develop into a full time role. He doesn't look to bad standing up either so he maybe able to play some SAM also in Saleh's defense. If we don't get an edge rusher in FA I want 2 or 3 between draft & undrafted guys
I watched Dorance's tape months back. The first thing you notice is that he's a good athlete, but it's also his crutch. He's too dependent on his athleticism and doesn't use enough technique. He appears to also have good length. He doesn't really rush with a plan and his technique needs a lot of work are the things that stood out to me most. I'll definitely check out his tape again.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I watched Dorance's tape months back. The first thing you notice is that he's a good athlete, but it's also his crutch. He's too dependent on his athleticism and doesn't use enough technique. He appears to also have good length. He doesn't really rush with a plan and his technique needs a lot of work are the things that stood out to me most. I'll definitely check out his tape again.

Thanks sounds great thanks for the feed back there. Sounds like he needs a veteran like Dumervil to help teach him how to string moves together & also use that talent & hands to his advantage. So you think he could be had late 2nd or 3rd round?
[ Edited by tohara3 on Feb 9, 2018 at 2:54 PM ]
Thanks sounds great thanks for the feed back there. Sounds like he needs a veteran like Dumervil to help teach him how to string moves together & also use that talent & hands to his advantage. So you think he could be had late 2nd or 3rd round?

Yes to everything.

Yes to everything.

Thanks. A combo of him & maybe Jeff Holland of Auburn to help out the pass rush
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Agreed. He looks like what you would expect a safety to do coming off the edge. Just no technique. He's either had bad coaching or they're teaching him the technique and he's dumb in the game. He's also easy to move off the point. Hopefully he's got better gamefilm but if not, 6th to undrafted for me.

@3:13 look at him against the zone read. He's the unblocked read man and takes NO ONE from the mesh out of the play.
[ Edited by TheNef77 on Feb 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM ]
Bump. Not much chatter about this guy and I want to hear more.

Cannot wait to see what this guy's numbers are at the combine.

Is this guy a natural fit at LEO?

Wonder where MadDog will have him on his big board...

Just one of those guys this year with good measurables but then when I watched a game I was ok do something. It's a passing game now

Do you think round 2 is too high for him given all the concerns/technique issues or would it be justified based on potential alone?

We've haven't had much luck developing our own pass rushers in the past (eli, lemonier, pita tbd)
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Do you think round 2 is too high for him given all the concerns/technique issues or would it be justified based on potential alone?

We've haven't had much luck developing our own pass rushers in the past (eli, lemonier, pita tbd)
Way too high. Gonna find a lot of those same measurables in the combine.
I think Eli Harold is a good comp for Dorance Armstrong.
I think Eli Harold is a good comp for Dorance Armstrong.

Damn. Don't love the sound of that lol. I'm hoping we sign more of a pass rushing nickle SAM and singing one like maybe Trent Murphy.
Share 49ersWebzone