There are 191 users in the forums

Nick Bosa, EDGE, Ohio St(The Politics Free Thread)

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Is there nobody with comparable talent to him in this draft?

Ed Oliver is, but he's another interior guy, do you want 4 in a row?

Nick Bosa is an absolute slam dunk stud.

It's not 4 in a row. But I know what you mean. And hell no I don't.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

There is nobody comparable in this draft, not even Oliver.
Originally posted by genus49:
On the edge? I don't think there's anyone in his league with the tape/technique/consistency and ability combination.

Interesting. I thought everyone was hyping up this draft class to be stacked with high level edge rushers.
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Oct 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM ]

There is nobody comparable in this draft, not even Oliver.
On the edge? I don't think there's anyone in his league with the tape/technique/consistency and ability combination.

Interesting. I thought everyone was hyping up this draft class to be stacked with high level edge rushers.

Oh, this class is as stacked as any I could remember. Sweat, Burns, or Ferrell would all dramatically change this defense. Several other guys have that potential, too.

That said, Bosa is on another level. It's not just his get off and bend. It's not just his advanced hand technique and seamless transitions through counters. It's not just his savvy in plotting and executing a pass rush plan. He does it all, and he makes it look easy. He's either a savant or a deeply invested student of the game, and he has the athleticism and aggression to tie it all together.

It's certainly a deep class. Bosa is the elite prospect at the top of it.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Bosa has a long list of injuries - I'm worried it's going to continue. I say pass and go for Farrell instead.

How long we talking? Knee in HS and this recent injury. What else has he had?

You can say it's just two injuries but the guy just turned 21 this week and already had 2 surgeries, that's brutal.

Can he end up having a long solid career without serious injuries. Of course, but odds aren't on his side at all.

Frank Gore...

The guy will be 100% healthy come offseason. To not draft him for prior injuries, injuries totally unrelated to each other and injuries which are not injuries attributed to "injury prone" variety, would be very dumb.

That's one example where we got lucky. Can't keep throwing out Gores name for the next 10 years every time we want to justify picking a player with an injury history. And it's not a good comparison. Gore had surgery for his ACL, Bosa had ACL surgery as well as the surgery he just had. Gore is super human and still doing his thing at 35, the f**kin guy might be a NFL rb at 36 next year (wtfff?) he just doesn't make sense. And lastly, We took Gore in the top of the third round which is a completely reasonable spot to take a player that might have injury concerns. It would've been insane to take foster at number 3, but end of the first was arguably a gamble worth taking.

For Nick Bosa we're talking about taking him at 1 or 2. If there were no other pass rushers then I'd be all over him, even with the injuries cuz I'm that desperate for one. But there's plenty of talent in this draft from what I've been hearing. Gonna start diving into watching their tape towards the end of the season and I'm sure we'll have some good convos on it.

It's a risk but at some point where do you draw the line?

We've seen guys with no injury history what so ever be constantly out of games due to nagging injuries and inability to stay healthy in the NFL and we have guys who had multiple injuries in college/HS that barely missed time in the NFL.

Do you really leave a guy on the board who fits your needs perfectly while also having the awesome talent to boot and because he had 2 injuries and his brother is hurt you pass on him? I'd hate for us to do that and then watch him tear it up for another team.

His brother is hurt? Well then, it's pretty clear this dude is a scrub. Pass.

Ed Oliver is, but he's another interior guy, do you want 4 in a row?

Nick Bosa is an absolute slam dunk stud.

It's not 4 in a row. But I know what you mean. And hell no I don't.

Ha! I think I've already blanked this whole year out!

There are some very good edge rushers in this class, but none like Bosa, already looking forward to cutting them all up.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Oct 29, 2018 at 4:50 PM ]
I think his hype will fall off during the off season, I wouldn't even be surprised if he doesn't participate in all the drills at the combine. IMO he has the highest bust potential of the group and his family history doesn't help either. I'd rather see him used as trade bait.

Him being a level above is not at all an indictment of this superb edge rush class, it's a testament to how special Bosa is as a prospect.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Oct 29, 2018 at 6:52 PM ]
Originally posted by KamLeon:
I think his hype will fall off during the off season, I wouldn't even be surprised if he doesn't participate in all the drills at the combine. IMO he has the highest bust potential of the group and his family history doesn't help either. I'd rather see him used as trade bait.

His family history of being a monster pass rusher?

Nick has shown better tape than Joey and I remember how people tore into Joey in that draft to the point where it was almost a surprise he went as high as #3 to the Chargers.

Now unless you think that foot injury is hereditary then his injury has nothing to do with Nick.

He's a better prospect who will be fully healthy for the combine. Of course we'll see what happens but I'd be surprised if he's not the #1 edge rusher in this class on every board unless he does something stupid off the field or someone like Sweat just blows up the combine while finishing the season in monster fashion.

Trust me I get concerns about injuries when picking high and that's why I didn't want Marshon Lattimore or Malik Hooker at #2 overall. Looking at it now clearly Lattimore would've been a great pick but in this situation not only has Bosa shown a lot more on tape with more starts than Lattimore but he's also playing a key position that is rare to find elite talent later in the draft.

If we're in position I think he's the guy. We'll see if we can tank good enough. Next three weeks are key.
His family history of being a monster pass rusher?

Nick has shown better tape than Joey and I remember how people tore into Joey in that draft to the point where it was almost a surprise he went as high as #3 to the Chargers.

Now unless you think that foot injury is hereditary then his injury has nothing to do with Nick.

He's a better prospect who will be fully healthy for the combine. Of course we'll see what happens but I'd be surprised if he's not the #1 edge rusher in this class on every board unless he does something stupid off the field or someone like Sweat just blows up the combine while finishing the season in monster fashion.

Trust me I get concerns about injuries when picking high and that's why I didn't want Marshon Lattimore or Malik Hooker at #2 overall. Looking at it now clearly Lattimore would've been a great pick but in this situation not only has Bosa shown a lot more on tape with more starts than Lattimore but he's also playing a key position that is rare to find elite talent later in the draft.

If we're in position I think he's the guy. We'll see if we can tank good enough. Next three weeks are key.

I was referring to his family history of injuries. Wasn't his Dad often injured and his uncle as well? I don't know his lineage in detail, but I've read (in this forum) that there's a lengthy family history of injuries and short lived football careers in his bloodline. He may very well be the highest rated PR in this draft, IMO after watching his tape and reading his past injuries don't believe he's a "can't miss" pick.
People just gushed over Soloman Thomas as a "sure thing" and people said he was a can't miss at #3, but that's been proven to be a major letdown.

I think there's more value in trading out of the spot and landing one of the other top three PR's and adding picks if that option becomes available.

We still have way too many needs to think that Bosa alone (assuming he stays healthy and adds immediate help) is enough to help out this current defense.

We need another (quality) ILB, S DB and 2 decent backups before this unit can be average, not to mention a competent DC.
[ Edited by KamLeon on Oct 29, 2018 at 11:30 PM ]

I was referring to his family history of injuries. Wasn't his Dad often injured and his uncle as well? I don't know his lineage in detail, but I've read (in this forum) that there's a lengthy family history of injuries and short lived football careers in his bloodline. He may very well be the highest rated PR in this draft, IMO after watching his tape and reading his past injuries don't believe he's a "can't miss" pick.
People just gushed over Soloman Thomas as a "sure thing" and people said he was a can't miss at #3, but that's been proven to be a major letdown.

I think there's more value in trading out of the spot and landing one of the other top three PR's and adding picks if that option becomes available.

We still have way too many needs to think that Bosa alone (assuming he stays healthy and adds immediate help) is enough to help out this current defense.

We need another (quality) ILB, S DB and 2 decent backups before this unit can be average, not to mention a competent DC.

I wouldn't doubt it, as this is the zone after all, but I dont recall anyone touting Solly as a cant miss prospect. I remember the threads were quite heated with people prioritizing a safety like Hooker over a DL with a top 3 pick. And this is in a class where Garret was the only consensus top player. I mocked Solly to the niners once, and that was with us moving down to 12.

Nick Bosa is on another level in terms of prospect, both in talent, and in media perception

Disagree. I think the top pass rushers will all go off the board very quickly, and unless we got offered a kings ransom I want to see one of them going to us. The other needs you mention can be satisfied with lower picks or FA. You don't compromise with qb or er.
Originally posted by English:
Disagree. I think the top pass rushers will all go off the board very quickly, and unless we got offered a kings ransom I want to see one of them going to us. The other needs you mention can be satisfied with lower picks or FA. You don't compromise with qb or er.

I agree, but we seem to be ignoring our other looming big need. LT, it's probably the hardest of all to fill these days with all the spread college offenses and 2 point stancing.

Don't get me wrong I still want Bosa, but if I can't have him I may go with one of the tackles like the Bama guy, Williams.

Then take my chances on a couple of edge rushers later.
Originally posted by English:

I agree, but we seem to be ignoring our other looming big need. LT, it's probably the hardest of all to fill these days with all the spread college offenses and 2 point stancing.

Don't get me wrong I still want Bosa, but if I can't have him I may go with one of the tackles like the Bama guy, Williams.

Then take my chances on a couple of edge rushers later.

Oh trust me, Staley's eventual replacement is not far from my mind! But right now we have a left tackle but we have no pass rush. We also need a dominant receiver. But we need to prioritise. Last year the edge was poor in the draft so we rightly did not reach. But this year there are excellent players to be had and we cannot afford to pass them up.

I wouldn't doubt it, as this is the zone after all, but I dont recall anyone touting Solly as a cant miss prospect. I remember the threads were quite heated with people prioritizing a safety like Hooker over a DL with a top 3 pick. And this is in a class where Garret was the only consensus top player. I mocked Solly to the niners once, and that was with us moving down to 12.

Nick Bosa is on another level in terms of prospect, both in talent, and in media perception

As I recall, there were very few people here stumping for Thomas BEFORE the draft. Most of the arguments were regarding who to take instead of him. I remember Hooker, Lattimore, Mahomes, and Ridley (after a trade down) as prominent names in that discussion. The Thomas pick was eerily reminiscent of the Armstead pick: no one here wanted him, but the 49ers were locked into the pick days ahead of the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone