Guys a freight train at WR.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones

All freak of nature athletes who put up hof numbers, yet none of them have a ring.

Just something to think about when people start screaming for DK over Bosa.

Bruce Smith
Kevin Greene
Julius Peppers
Chris Doleman
Jason Taylor

Five of the top seven (and four of the top five) all time sack leaders. Zero rings.

Anyone can cherry pick data. Jerry Rice won three Super Bowls and went to a fourth. Michael Irvin won three.

Meanwhile Rams had Aaron Donald, Suh, Brockers and Fowler, all first round picks, two who will warrant at least HoF consideration, but they lost the Super Bowl because their wide receivers couldn't beat man coverage.

Here is the formula where picking Metcalf over a DE makes sense:

Sign Za'Darius Smith (instant pass rush upgrade). Sign whatever other decent pass rusher hits free agency.

Hole filled, draft Metcalf, then trade back into the first round and draft the fifth or sixth best edge rusher in the draft. The Eagles won the Super Bowl with a pass rush by committee approach two years ago (sack leader: 9.5 sacks), and the Patriots just did it last year (sack leader: 7.5 sacks).

Edited to add Jason Taylor since you had five on your list.

Jerry Rice wasn't a freak of nature though. I'm merely talking about physical specimens at WR who couldn't put their teams over the top even though they dominated stat wise.

Pass rushers have more to do with a teams success than elite WRs. Hell, Julio, AB, OBJ, and AJ all just missed the playoffs. Hopkins and Thomas were the only top 10 WRs on competitive teams.
You put this guy (Mecalf) with KS & Jimmie G, and we could be dangerous for years to come.

Bosa types are not as rare as DK.

DK should be the pick at #2 overall, give KS his Julio Jones!!!!

Edge rushers seems to be a deep position, get one later in the draft and use FA to fill that need. There's always next year for edge rushers, DK seems like a generational talent.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones

All freak of nature athletes who put up hof numbers, yet none of them have a ring.

Just something to think about when people start screaming for DK over Bosa.

Bruce Smith
Kevin Greene
Julius Peppers
Chris Doleman
Jason Taylor

Five of the top seven (and four of the top five) all time sack leaders. Zero rings.

Anyone can cherry pick data. Jerry Rice won three Super Bowls and went to a fourth. Michael Irvin won three.

Meanwhile Rams had Aaron Donald, Suh, Brockers and Fowler, all first round picks, two who will warrant at least HoF consideration, but they lost the Super Bowl because their wide receivers couldn't beat man coverage.

Here is the formula where picking Metcalf over a DE makes sense:

Sign Za'Darius Smith (instant pass rush upgrade). Sign whatever other decent pass rusher hits free agency.

Hole filled, draft Metcalf, then trade back into the first round and draft the fifth or sixth best edge rusher in the draft. The Eagles won the Super Bowl with a pass rush by committee approach two years ago (sack leader: 9.5 sacks), and the Patriots just did it last year (sack leader: 7.5 sacks).

Edited to add Jason Taylor since you had five on your list.

Jerry Rice wasn't a freak of nature though. I'm merely talking about physical specimens at WR who couldn't put their teams over the top even though they dominated stat wise.

Pass rushers have more to do with a teams success than elite WRs. Hell, Julio, AB, OBJ, and AJ all just missed the playoffs. Hopkins and Thomas were the only top 10 WRs on competitive teams.

Mack wasn't a factor in getting the raiders to the playoffs, and he was one and done with the Bears last year.

None of this matters though.

How did Julio Jones look in Kyle's offense? Metcalf may be what we need on offense to make things work.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM ]
Hands look suspect....
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
That said.. if Bosa goes #1 and we trade back for a solid handful of picks and then came away with DK, Sweat and Adderly... Is be cool with that

If we trade back and select him. But dont use the extra picks to move back up. It wouldn't be the end of the world. Then use those extra picks on guys like D'andre Walker and/or Christian Miller.

That said, too many WRs available that can put up similar numbers in our offense that can be had between rounds 2-4.

Not as many DEs that you can plug and play and get the same full time results.

I totally agree. At #36 we should have our pick of several of the top WR prospects. And I am a firm believer that edge rusher is the 2nd or 3rd most important position in football.

DK is a tantalizing prospect and I think every football fan is dreaming of watching him on their team next year.

But the DE/WR combos we could get without trading are pretty fantastic. Bosa and Harry is totally possible.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Better athlete then player, really risk to draft a guy like that in the first
[ Edited by FaTaL on Mar 2, 2019 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Hands look suspect....

He's an incomplete player, but most H/W/S guys are. Teams always believe that they can coach these guys up and help them reach their unlimited potential. Sometimes it works out, but it also cost people their jobs when it doesn't.
Getting a Taylor Mays vibe....

Sack leaders of the last ten Super Bowl winners:

Patriots: 7.5
Eagles: 9.5
Patriots: 7.0
Broncos: 11.0
Patriots: 8.0
Seahawks: 8.5
Ravens: 9.0 (note that Aldon Smith had 19.5)

You have to go clear to the Giants last Super Bowl to find a team where one guy was the dominant pss rusher, aside from Von Miller. Pass rush by committee is more effective than a single great guy.

I post this because I'm tired of people saying great recievers don't win Super Bowls. Well neither do great pass rushers. Great QUARTERBACKS or great TEAM defense is what wins Super Bowls.

As for the Patriots, they have had receivers or tight ends who could make big plays in big moments. So did the Eagles two years ago.

The point is, you can win the Super Bowl without a single guy on the line who puts the fear of God in offenses, so long as you have four or five who are pretty good.

Drafting Metcalf would not be a mistake so long as the 49ers do something like sign Za'Darius Smith, who is still hitting his prime.
Originally posted by FaTaL:

This. He's not anywhere as polished as Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones were, just a big, super athletic project of a WR. Still has a lot of work to do in regards to route running and the basics of the position. Would be incredibly nervous taking him at #2.

I'd say for the time Rice WAS a freak of nature (as was Taylor). Most receivers were not as tall, quick and as strong as was. The 49ers got quite the reputation in the late 80s and 90s as being a tall receivers only farm.

I'd also counter with the same thing happens with pass rushers. And running backs, too. I'd also say that it s rare that one pass rusher is the key for a Super Bowl team. Usually it's a pass rush by committee. Heck, most of the last ten Super Bowl winners have followed that formula.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Mar 2, 2019 at 1:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by FaTaL:

This. He's not anywhere as polished as Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones were, just a big, super athletic project of a WR. Still has a lot of work to do in regards to route running and the basics of the position. Would be incredibly nervous taking him at #2.
I wouldn't be nervous. I'm fairly certain Kyle could develop him. The only thing that would hold him back would be injury
Share 49ersWebzone