LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 165 users in the forums

DK Metcalf

• pd24
  • Veteran
Him, Kittle, Goodwin, and Pettis on the field at the same time with speed out of the backfield also, we would be a fast explosive offense

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. He's not anywhere as polished as Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones were, just a big, super athletic project of a WR. Still has a lot of work to do in regards to route running and the basics of the position. Would be incredibly nervous taking him at #2.

True but there really aren't many guys who even fit his mold. And besides, he isn't completely unpolished. There are some things he does really well, like stacking dbs.

People keep bringing up White, but White wasn't on the same athletic level. Couldn't jump as high, couldn't hit top speed as quickly.

Metcalf fits his own mold. What he may be, only time will tell.

But it isn't so much taking him at 2 as it is passing up in a pass rusher at 2. However, I would be okay with it if we could sign Za'Darius Smith, who is a quality pass rusher about to hit the open market.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Keepin it real lol
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Lol
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
True but there really aren't many guys who even fit his mold. And besides, he isn't completely unpolished. There are some things he does really well, like stacking dbs.

People keep bringing up White, but White wasn't on the same athletic level. Couldn't jump as high, couldn't hit top speed as quickly.

Metcalf fits his own mold. What he may be, only time will tell.

But it isn't so much taking him at 2 as it is passing up in a pass rusher at 2. However, I would be okay with it if we could sign Za'Darius Smith, who is a quality pass rusher about to hit the open market.

I don't see Smith as a quality pass rusher. I went back and looked through all his sacks this past season. Left feeling underwhelmed. Maybe if they draft Bosa or Allen in addition to him but just signing him would not be a major upgrade IMO.
I don't see Smith as a quality pass rusher. I went back and looked through all his sacks this past season. Left feeling underwhelmed.

He's not elite but he's an upgrade. Put him with Buckner and Armstead, draft a guy in the second round and you're starting to get a quality pass rush by comittee team.

You don't need Charles Haley to win the Super Bowl. Just four or five guys who can win semi-regularly.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
He's not elite but he's an upgrade. Put him with Buckner and Armstead, draft a guy in the second round and you're starting to get a quality pass rush by comittee team.

You don't need Charles Haley to win the Super Bowl. Just four or five guys who can win semi-regularly.

Practically anyone with a pulse is an upgrade. That still isn't saying a whole lot. Smith seems like a marginal upgrade at best.

Graham was the one I thought could make a significant improvement to the pass rush. With him off the market, there are no real blue chip types remaining.
If we take him over Bosa I'll toss my tv out the window. If Bosa is gone I can live with it.
If all we needed was a big fast receiver then I would probably take a chance on him and see if I could improve his ball catching a route running. But we need a pass rusher and one is going to be sitting right there for the taking. Don't F this up.

Practically anyone with a pulse is an upgrade. That still isn't saying a whole lot. Smith seems like a marginal upgrade at best.

Graham was the one I thought could make a significant improvement to the pass rush. With him off the market, there are no real blue chip types remaining.
There will probably also be Trey Flowers and Dante Fowler.

But no, there are no blue chip guys in free agency, however, aside from Bosa, who is the blue chip in the draft? Allen will be changing position, and while I like him, you can't consistently win with speed and quickness.

If Bosa is there I'd honestly have a hard time wanting Metcalf over him, but are the Cardinals really going to pass up on him?

And honestly, I still wouldn't have made up my mind until after free agency.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
If we take him over Bosa I'll toss my tv out the window. If Bosa is gone I can live with it.

If we take ANYONE over Bosa I'll toss YOUR tv out the window.
Originally posted by krizay:

If we take ANYONE over Bosa I'll toss YOUR tv out the window.

There is no chance Lynch passes on Bosa for a receiver. Even if something crazy happened like Houston or Dallas doesn't franchise Clowney or Lawrence and we signed them, I still see Lynch taking Bosa if he's on the board. He tries to hide his hard on for Nick, but you can tell he wants him badly.

If Bosa is gone and we take DK over Allen there might still be TV tossing.
Originally posted by Southpaw79:

If Bosa is gone and we take DK over Allen there might still be TV tossing.

Yeah. Bosa, Allen and even Gary all seem like better moves for us. Really, edge rusher needs to be our top priority.

Doesn't mean I don't want him on the 9ers. I would love it. To me the comp I see is TO. Like TO, the biggest issue is that he's a bit raw and still developing. But man... that combo of size, power, speed and quicks can amazing when it comes together.

If they can pull of some trade magic and get DK and a top 5 edge rusher then, yes, I'd be super excited. But I'm the GM, I'm taking Bosa or Allen and not messing around.
Share 49ersWebzone