LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 175 users in the forums

DK Metcalf

• afce
  • Veteran
Ha Ha

no i can turn the cap locks off.

i am an engineer and working on drawings.

with my right arm in a cast i've been leaving the cap locks on

i go back to the doc on wens and they might do a short cast "ie" hand and wrist and about half of
my forearm.

right now it's all the way up and around my elbow

not fun for an old man

hope we make some good selections
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
8.5 sacks. Meh.

When you consider he was only playing half of the time that's great but are you factorinh in what DK's role was?

Elite receivers gets the ball. Julio, Megatron in a stupid triple option offense, they all got their numbers.

AJ Brown was the alpha receiver in that offense the past two years. Give me that guy in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Metcalf at #2? Not so much.

I agree Phoenix. I'm not high on Metcalf either. I like receivers that get open organically using fundamental route running. Metcalf is big, strong, and fast but he's not a great route runner.

A correction here though. Calvin Johnson didn't play in a triple option offense. He played under Chan Gailey. It was Paul Johnson who brought the triple option to Ga Tech after Gailey which spawned Demaryius Thomas.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I agree Phoenix. I'm not high on Metcalf either. I like receivers that get open organically using fundamental route running. Metcalf is big, strong, and fast but he's not a great route runner.

A correction here though. Calvin Johnson didn't play in a triple option offense. He played under Chan Gailey. It was Paul Johnson who brought the triple option to Ga Tech after Gailey which spawned Demaryius Thomas.

Correct on GT

My bad, it was Thomas who still put up big numbers despite playing in a triple option offense.
Why aren't the stats much higher for this guy? Shouldn't his numbers be much greater given the frame, size, strength and speed?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why aren't the stats much higher for this guy? Shouldn't his numbers be much greater given the frame, size, strength and speed?

I know he missed a ton with the neck injury.
Stephen Hill all over again.
Never had more than 650 yards receiving nor was he the #1 option on a pass happy college offense.

He averaged a touchdown every five receptions, and averaged nearly twenty yards a pop. His problem is injuries. It is hard to ingratiate yourself in the offense if you aren't there.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

One touchdown every five catches. 18.3 yards every catch.

His problem is that he consistently was on the bench healing from injuries. It is hard to develop timing with the qb from the bench.
1) Bosa/Burns & your choice of any number of really good WRs in rd 2

Or

2) Metcalf & the 12th best? ER in this class

Eh...

Originally posted by babarvaart:
Stephen Hill all over again.

Stephen Hill couldn't catch a cold in addition to being extremely raw as a route runner. Metcalf has good hands - he just needs to work on route running and obviously getting quicker/more flexible.

Metcalf is a lot stronger with longer arms (34 7/8" vs. 33 3/8") and bigger hands (9 7/8" vs. 9 3/8") than Hill. Hill couldn't catch, couldn't run routes, and was a lot skinnier. Metcalf is much better against press coverage and was a little faster and more explosive at 6'3 228 vs. 6'4 215. The only thing in Hill's favor is the 3 cone drill but Metcalf can get more flexible if he cuts back at the gym.

Metcalf was hurt in the first quarter of the game against Arkansas, but was on pace for over 1000 yards and 10 TDs this year (569 yards and 5 TDs in just over 6 games).

Metcalf is going too 10 if his medicals check out. He's closer to Calvin Johnson than Stephen Hill.

A.J. Brown is also a beast and they split production through the first 6 games (Brown had 586 yards and 4 TDs). The same thing happened with Odell Beckham Jr and Jarvis Landry at LSU which caused both of them to drop (in addition to Landry's slow 40). You aren't going to put up 1500 yards when there are two #1 NFL WRs on the same college team.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Or

Eh...

If we stay at #2, we have to pick Bosa. If we trade back with Jacksonville, I'd be interested in picking up Metcalf at 7 and someone like Burns, Sweat, Ferrell, or Gary in the 10-20 range.

You're right that there should be good WRs available in round 2 though.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Or

Eh...

Yes it's a no brainer. You take Bosa unless you're getting offered QB type of compensation to move back.

My bad, it was Thomas who still put up big numbers despite playing in a triple option offense.
You know, I find that knocking a WR's coming out of school isn't a really good knock as MOST WR's coming out aren't that adept at running routes to the NFL's satisfaction. WR's at the college level really aren't asked to run complete route trees like they're gonna be asked at the pro level. This is why position coaches are paid good money, to - you know - teach and coach. Proper route running can be taught (I know, I teach it to 8 - 14 year olds every year). So I don't think questionable route running for WR's coming out is a good/fair critique. IMHO.

But in all seriousness I don't suspect that Shanny will even draft Matcalf anyway, even if he falls favorably to us in round 2. Shanny has shown (to me at least) that he really don't favor big-bodied WR's, no matter how fast they are. He favors basically smallish, speedy slot WR's at the X, Y, and Z spots. Furthermore, Shanny seems to me to favor scheme-ready, scheme fit players rather than teaching. Now, that's not a knock against Shanny, just my observation as a coach myself. The biggest WR we have is 6-2, 225, a rookie who hasn't been assigned a number. Shanny has shown no desire for these type of WR's, much to my chagrin. As much as I don't like that I have come to accept that about Shanny. Now I think at some point the realities of the game will ultimately force Shanny to change that aspect about his taste of WR's. But I think we're a long way from that. I THINK Shanny is fully confident his scheme removes the instances for 50-50 balls and the need for a redzone threat, and that getting the right talent will prove this. Time will tell if this is true. In any event I cannot see us drafting the 6-4, 230 D.K. Matcalk, even though he ran a legit 4.3 40 and Shanny covets speed.

Again, just MHO.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
You know, I find that knocking a WR's coming out of school isn't a really good knock as MOST WR's coming out aren't that adept at running routes to the NFL's satisfaction. WR's at the college level really aren't asked to run complete route trees like they're gonna be asked at the pro level. This is why position coaches are paid good money, to - you know - teach and coach. Proper route running can be taught (I know, I teach it to 8 - 14 year olds every year). So I don't think questionable route running for WR's coming out is a good/fair critique. IMHO.

But in all seriousness I don't suspect that Shanny will even draft Matcalf anyway, even if he falls favorably to us in round 2. Shanny has shown (to me at least) that he really don't favor big-bodied WR's, no matter how fast they are. He favors basically smallish, speedy slot WR's at the X, Y, and Z spots. Furthermore, Shanny seems to me to favor scheme-ready, scheme fit players rather than teaching. Now, that's not a knock against Shanny, just my observation as a coach myself. The biggest WR we have is 6-2, 225, a rookie who hasn't been assigned a number. Shanny has shown no desire for these type of WR's, much to my chagrin. As much as I don't like that I have come to accept that about Shanny. Now I think at some point the realities of the game will ultimately force Shanny to change that aspect about his taste of WR's. But I think we're a long way from that. I THINK Shanny is fully confident his scheme removes the instances for 50-50 balls and the need for a redzone threat, and that getting the right talent will prove this. Time will tell if this is true. In any event I cannot see us drafting the 6-4, 230 D.K. Matcalk, even though he ran a legit 4.3 40 and Shanny covets speed.

Again, just MHO.

I don't think it's size he's concerned about, but whether the guy can win one on one. Most big guys can't really get separation. But when you have a guy who can, you get him, as Shanahan has said (if you can get a Julio Jones you get him /paraphrase). But Metcalf can win one on one, at least with vertical routes and jump balls, so I don't know if he should be so nonchalantly placed with all the people Shanahan didn't go after before. He's no Julio, but he's not the same as the guys he is grouped with. He's outstanding at winning at the line, lack of agility or no.

But yeah definitely not worth the 2nd pick.
Share 49ersWebzone