DK Metcalf

Originally posted by Lobo49er:
1) Bosa/Burns & your choice of any number of really good WRs in rd 2

Or

2) Metcalf & the 12th best? ER in this class

Eh...

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
You know, I find that knocking a WR's coming out of school isn't a really good knock as MOST WR's coming out aren't that adept at running routes to the NFL's satisfaction. WR's at the college level really aren't asked to run complete route trees like they're gonna be asked at the pro level. This is why position coaches are paid good money, to - you know - teach and coach. Proper route running can be taught (I know, I teach it to 8 - 14 year olds every year). So I don't think questionable route running for WR's coming out is a good/fair critique. IMHO.

But in all seriousness I don't suspect that Shanny will even draft Matcalf anyway, even if he falls favorably to us in round 2. Shanny has shown (to me at least) that he really don't favor big-bodied WR's, no matter how fast they are. He favors basically smallish, speedy slot WR's at the X, Y, and Z spots. Furthermore, Shanny seems to me to favor scheme-ready, scheme fit players rather than teaching. Now, that's not a knock against Shanny, just my observation as a coach myself. The biggest WR we have is 6-2, 225, a rookie who hasn't been assigned a number. Shanny has shown no desire for these type of WR's, much to my chagrin. As much as I don't like that I have come to accept that about Shanny. Now I think at some point the realities of the game will ultimately force Shanny to change that aspect about his taste of WR's. But I think we're a long way from that. I THINK Shanny is fully confident his scheme removes the instances for 50-50 balls and the need for a redzone threat, and that getting the right talent will prove this. Time will tell if this is true. In any event I cannot see us drafting the 6-4, 230 D.K. Matcalk, even though he ran a legit 4.3 40 and Shanny covets speed.

Again, just MHO.

I don't think it's size he's concerned about, but whether the guy can win one on one. Most big guys can't really get separation. But when you have a guy who can, you get him, as Shanahan has said (if you can get a Julio Jones you get him /paraphrase). But Metcalf can win one on one, at least with vertical routes and jump balls, so I don't know if he should be so nonchalantly placed with all the people Shanahan didn't go after before. He's no Julio, but he's not the same as the guys he is grouped with. He's outstanding at winning at the line, lack of agility or no.

But yeah definitely not worth the 2nd pick.
Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong with my opinion. (BTW, I can assure you I come to no opinion nonchalantly.) I just don't see Shanny drafting a physical big-bodied WR. I have seen nothing from Shanny that makes me think that he will. Like I said, Shanny seems to me to desire ready-made WR's for his scheme rather than coach talent to his scheme. This is no critique from me, just what I see.

Again, I do hope I'm wrong on this as there were plenty of physical big-bodied WR's that ran sub-4.5 40 at the combine. So I hope Shanny drafts one. But I won't be predicting that in my mock draft though If a WR is drafted it'll be in the mold of the WR's currently on our roster now (that have gotten the playing time) - 5-8 to 6-2, 180 - 211, mostly speedsters. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Shanny deviated from that mold.
  • lod01
  • Veteran
Dez - 20 SS - 4.46
Deandre Hopkins - 20 SS - 4.47
Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson - didn't run the 3-cone or 20 yard SS even at pro days. There's a reason they don't. When you are that big, those drills have little meaning. 4.5 is fine for him.
Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong with my opinion. (BTW, I can assure you I come to no opinion nonchalantly.) I just don't see Shanny drafting a physical big-bodied WR. I have seen nothing from Shanny that makes me think that he will. Like I said, Shanny seems to me to desire ready-made WR's for his scheme rather than coach talent to his scheme. This is no critique from me, just what I see.

Again, I do hope I'm wrong on this as there were plenty of physical big-bodied WR's that ran sub-4.5 40 at the combine. So I hope Shanny drafts one. But I won't be predicting that in my mock draft though If a WR is drafted it'll be in the mold of the WR's currently on our roster now (that have gotten the playing time) - 5-8 to 6-2, 180 - 211, mostly speedsters. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Shanny deviated from that mold.
Tbh I'd much prefer the OBJ trade. He's just diva enough that the Giants would consider trading him, but not so much his divaness would overcome his potential Hall of Fame talent.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Tbh I'd much prefer the OBJ trade. He's just diva enough that the Giants would consider trading him, but not so much his divaness would overcome his potential Hall of Fame talent.
No way would I want a diva WR that lacks toughness on this roster.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 4, 2019 at 8:43 PM ]
If were even thinking remotely of using the #2 on metcalf, then they better just trade down and take Hall and Deebo later.
I think we can all take comfort in knowing that Kyle wants no part of metcalf early in the first. From Dane Brugler in The Athletic:

"However, we already knew Metcalf was fast in a straight line. The more important tests were the shuttles and three-cone drills, helping gauge balance, change of direction and short-area quickness. And Metcalf posted historically poor numbers in those drills with a 7.38 three-cone and 4.50 short shuttle. To put those times in context, Washington State offensive tackle Andre Dillard (6-5, 315) had a 7.44 three-cone and 4.40 short shuttle. There are productive NFL receivers who were below average in either the three-cone or short shuttle, but rarely both.

On tape, those numbers match how Metcalf plays, struggling to drop his hips and burst in and out of his breaks. He is a rudimentary route runner, which was just fine with what Ole Miss asked of him in that offense, but NFL teams will expect his route tree to grow at the next level."
Originally posted by pd24:
He didn't break his neck and it wasn't a serious neck injury like Peyton Manning.

Injuries and so so numbers described Bosa also. Core muscle surgery is huge for a pass rusher you use your core every play as a pass rusher.

Yeah he did break his neck...

Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
I think we can all take comfort in knowing that Kyle wants no part of metcalf early in the first. From Dane Brugler in The Athletic:

"However, we already knew Metcalf was fast in a straight line. The more important tests were the shuttles and three-cone drills, helping gauge balance, change of direction and short-area quickness. And Metcalf posted historically poor numbers in those drills with a 7.38 three-cone and 4.50 short shuttle. To put those times in context, Washington State offensive tackle Andre Dillard (6-5, 315) had a 7.44 three-cone and 4.40 short shuttle. There are productive NFL receivers who were below average in either the three-cone or short shuttle, but rarely both.

On tape, those numbers match how Metcalf plays, struggling to drop his hips and burst in and out of his breaks. He is a rudimentary route runner, which was just fine with what Ole Miss asked of him in that offense, but NFL teams will expect his route tree to grow at the next level."

This has always been my big concern with Metcalf. Being a one-trick pony rarely works in the NFL. Guys are simply too good.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:

This has always been my big concern with Metcalf. Being a one-trick pony rarely works in the NFL. Guys are simply too good.

Teams like the Chargers, any Bruce Arians team, and anyone else with a vertical passing attack could put him to work. Mike Evans pretty much just runs go's, posts and comebacks.

DK will do just fine in the right offense, thing is, that's not ours.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Mar 5, 2019 at 6:36 AM ]

Originally posted by lod01:
Dez - 20 SS - 4.46
Deandre Hopkins - 20 SS - 4.47
Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson - didn't run the 3-cone or 20 yard SS even at pro days. There's a reason they don't. When you are that big, those drills have little meaning. 4.5 is fine for him.
Not for Shanny. He wants nimble speedsters, and that usually comes in smaller packages. This pretty much cancels out physical big-bodies even with 4.4 speed. Those are just not his taste of WR's. Very few physical big-bodies come into the door being able to do what Shanny wants them to do, and he doesn't seem all that willing to coach them up on it either. He's a scheme teacher, not an abilities teacher. WR's need to walk in the door with the raw physical abilities to be able to run his scheme. Matcalf, like most physical big-bodies, while he possess the straight line speed, don't normally have the nimble change-of-direction ability to run Shanny's route scheme. In fact, an argument could be made that even Julio Jones (at 6-3, 220), while he thrived in Shanny's scheme, would probably not be drafted by Shanny today, at least not in the top two rounds, given his 2011 scouting report and given what we've seen of Shanny today. Compare the two combine number:

Julio
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/julio-jones?id=2495454

Matcalf
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.k.-metcalf?id=32194d45-5436-3377-5806-d2746f1b94aa

The two compare pretty good with Matcalf having having slightly overall combine numbers (man, compare those bench numbers ). My point here is not a petition for drafting Matcalf in the 1st. We have EDGE rusher needs that far outweigh our WR needs. (Now, if he falls to us in the 2nd I think we think hard before we pass on him.) My point is that I just don't see Shanny drafting a physical big-body at all, especially running slower than 4.4. I just don't see it happening.
I'm not super impressed with this guy. imo one of the most important qualities for a receiver is their lateral quickness. These guys need to be able to run crisp routes to get separation. Time and time again we see these combine warriors with off the chart measurables that can't get it done in real games.

I don't like the comparisons to guys like Julio Jones or AJ Green or Calvin Johnson. Those guys have supernatural body control. Metcalf's highlights are pretty underwhelming to me. He just looks like he's physically outclassing the players he's up against. That gap narrows at the pro level. What his opponents lack in physical ability they will make up with technique.
Am I the only cynical one who is worried everyone coming out of that Ole Miss gym is going to end up getting popped for PEDs?
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Am I the only cynical one who is worried everyone coming out of that Ole Miss gym is going to end up getting popped for PEDs?

No
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah he did break his neck...

So no credit to the doctors just to his faith sounds about right.
Share 49ersWebzone