LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 166 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
No, he's saying if the draft QW - then, they shouldn't extend Buckner.

Why not? Regardless of who they draft, that shouldn't stop them from extending Buckner. If you're drafting Williams, its to play alongside Buckner. You have two interior DL positions and QW is capable of playing either one.

Oh, I agree with you - they will extend Buckner no matter who they draft.
Originally posted by mayo49:
No, he's saying if the draft QW - then, they shouldn't extend Buckner.

Why not? Regardless of who they draft, that shouldn't stop them from extending Buckner. If you're drafting Williams, its to play alongside Buckner. You have two interior DL positions and QW is capable of playing either one.

Despite the fact that they're underwhelming to say the least, that also pushes Thomas and Armstead right out of the picture and wastes those picks.

I'd rather stick with the known commodity and young vet in Buckner and put another force on the edge to bookend with Ford. Then, you see if Thomas is worth anything more than a bag of cheetos when he's back inside and has talent around him.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Despite the fact that they're underwhelming to say the least, that also pushes Thomas and Armstead right out of the picture and wastes those picks.

I'd rather stick with the known commodity and young vet in Buckner and put another force on the edge to bookend with Ford. Then, you see if Thomas is worth anything more than a bag of cheetos when he's back inside and has talent around him.

Drafting Bosa moves Armstead from his big end spot altogether. He's taking rotational snaps at NT and 3T at that point. No concern for his draft status then?
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You can win the Super Bowl with Quinnen Williams. The only question is how many of them?

He couldn't win the national title.

Did you see Nick Bosa win the National Title? Oh yeah that's what I thought.....

1) He didn't even play in it.
2) He was too injured to even play in their Bowl game at all which was not for the Championship.

At least Quinnen Williams played for the National Championship. They ran into Trevor Lawrence. A once every 15 - 20 years player. He has a Peyton Manning grade. A John Elway grade. He's an incredible QB.

I don't think QW is why they lost that game BTW.
Am I the only one would who absolutely HATE the Quinnen Williams pick?

It just seems like such a Niners' failure move despite his pedigree and potential because the last thing they need is another interior DL, no matter how talented he is.

If Bosa is there at #2 and they select QW or trade out, I think it's going to be a huge mistake (and also totally something this dumb team would do).

In my mind, you gotta go Bosa #2 then take the best of the WR bunch in Rd 2. and go secondary next. To me, that would immensely help both sides of the ball. A redundant pick like QW means Buckner leaves so we just replace one great DL with another and don't actually build (similar to Trent Brown>McGlinchey). We got a fine tackle in McGlinchey but swapped him for another pro bowl so there was no net gain.

I think if QW is the pick, this team flounders next year and Lynch is canned.

Why do you think it means that?

Buckner would command a super hefty salary and at that point, it'd probably be easier to take the cheaper (potentially more talented route) with QW and dedicate that money elsewhere since the team is still thin on talent across the board.

Dumping so much dough into retaining two DTs just wouldn't make any sense in the scheme of things.

*Rookie Contract
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Did you see Nick Bosa win the National Title? Oh yeah that's what I thought.....

1) He didn't even play in it.
2) He was too injured to even play in their Bowl game at all which was not for the Championship.

At least Quinnen Williams played for the National Championship. They ran into Trevor Lawrence. A once every 15 - 20 years player. He has a Peyton Manning grade. A John Elway grade. He's an incredible QB.

I don't think QW is why they lost that game BTW.

Just saying you're constant we'll win the SB with him, I'm buying tickets now leads to that. He played on a team stacked with NFL talent and got his @ handed to him. His worse game on tape was vs Oklahoma and Clemson wasn't much better.

Slow it down.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Lynch had Warren Sapp on his defensive team in Tampa, I can't help thinking he would prefer to have Q. Williams as his Sapp on the Niners over taking Bosa.

Lynch also had Simeon Rice.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 4ML:

days until Quinnen Williams is a 49er!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Is there a way we can get bosa AND QW? Maybe we trade Bourne to get back into the top 5?

Personally, I'd want Bosa and Allen.
Drafting Bosa moves Armstead from his big end spot altogether. He's taking rotational snaps at NT and 3T at that point. No concern for his draft status then?

If we're really planning on moving to wide 9 more often you'd hope AA isn't the big end. He'll take about a half hour to get to the qb from there.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 17, 2019 at 5:39 AM ]

Lynch had Warren Sapp on his defensive team in Tampa, I can't help thinking he would prefer to have Q. Williams as his Sapp on the Niners over taking Bosa.

Oh yes, I'll take that thinking!

Not to mention we already have our Warren Sapp - DeForest Buckner. I'm not sure why people seem to be forgetting him somehow.

The year the Bucs won the SB Rice had 15.5 sacks, Sapp had 7.5. How do we know Williams wouldn't end up being our Booger McFarland?

What was the last team who had two DTs put up double digit sacks? Now maybe people here are good with QW not getting double digit sacks and just being a mountain of a man inside but I've been on this board many years. When it comes down to it....people react differently. Lots of people want those sexy numbers or those picks are called busts.

Now getting double digit sacks aren't easy but we've seen a lot more situations where teams have combos of guys getting double digit sacks between DE and DT.

Bosa gives us a much better chance to have better DL production across the board. I love Quinnen Williams and if our roster wasn't in the state that it's in right now then I'd be all about him.
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by VDSF:
Peter Schrager‏ @PSchrags

An NFL executive told me this week that Quinnen Williams' 15 minute Combine interview in INDY was as good as any 15 minute session he'd seen or been a part of from a defensive lineman before. Broke down opposing offense on film like he was an MLB; owned the room like a QB

Pretty consistent with everything I've read and heard about him. Hard worker, good character, student of the game, overachiever type that really loves football.

People think I like him because he's a DT. If he was a LB or CB playing at that high level, I'd still feel the same about him. He just has "it", whatever you want to define "it" as, he has that star quality and a guy who seems hungry to truly be the best, not Josh Rosen's corny b******t "nine mistakes" the best but actually wanting to be at the very top of his profession and being willing to put the work in to get there.

This is why if Bosa is gone he has to be the pick imo.

Should read, even if Bosa is still there, he (Williams) has to be the pick.

As of today, I think if Arizona picks Williams (hopefully they don't) the 49ers will be trading out of the 2 spot. Get the feeling that Bosa to the 49ers is all but dead as of now.

What makes you say that? Like 90% of all mocks have us taking Bosa.

Williams is picking up stream in these mock drafts like he picks up OL and tosses them into the QBs.
I noticed the mocks changing yesterday as well, but I think it's for clicks lol still heavily favors Bosa.

I brought up Simmons in here earlier, yes I know about the off field stuff but a team is gonna get a dominant force at a great price...colts have been linked to him a lot in the 1st.
Share 49ersWebzone