LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 108 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

Originally posted by KamLeon:
Lol, yeah webzine for you....

How many of those top 5 sacks did he have wearing a Niner uni????

Like saying Montana was a great Chieff

He had the most sacks in a season (while in SF) the yr after Stubblefield left
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by genus49:
Not to mention we already have our Warren Sapp - DeForest Buckner. I'm not sure why people seem to be forgetting him somehow.

I don't think Buckner is a quite the wrecking ball and anchor that Sapp was . . . yet. He could very well be under Kocurek, but I think he's still got work to do.

IMO in terms of impact to a defense:
Buckner = Stubblefield (could be a Richard Seymour if he improves his hand work)
Williams = Bryant Young
Bosa = Justin Smith

Two of the three ain't bad.

Remember how good this team was when they had Stubbelfield and Bryant Young together at defensive tackle positions? What's wrong with that? Teams couldn't run or pass on us. Certainly not up the middle. It's not the worst thing to have you know.

You're conveniently forgetting that the offenses back then were very different and way more run heavy.

You also forget that over a lot of those years we had some pretty good DEs out there. They may not have all been in their prime but they were still producing for us.

Chris Doleman
Rickey Jackson
Kevin Greene
Roy Barker

That's 3 HOFers who played with Stubblefield and Young, maybe they weren't there long and maybe they didn't dominate but it was still not a weakness. You want to concentrate on the great with Buckner and QW but again forget the edge is a major weak point.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yes it was great someone pointed out that during their time together the best combined sacks they had was in 94, DT with 8.5 sacks and BY with 6 sacks.

I know it's not all about sacks BUT when you're investing a top 2 pick on DL you better be sacking the QB, a lot.

Bosa would be in the perfect situation to be a double digit sack guy with Buck-AA/Thomas-Ford next to him.

It's similar to pairing DTs like say Donald and Suh....how many sacks did they have on their way to the Super Bowl?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
With BY and Stubby, you can put a Chris Doleman on the outside and make him productive.

You can't put just a Stubby and Foleman together and hey the same

Wait why we talking about Chris Doleman like he was Roy Barker?

He had 150 sacks over his career. Dude was a certified beast that the 49ers got at the tail end of his career.

Webzone for you...where the guy with the 5th most sacks in NFL history is used as a negative example lol.

Lol, yeah webzine for you....

How many of those top 5 sacks did he have wearing a Niner uni????

Like saying Montana was a great Chieff

He averaged nearly 13 sacks per season with us over 3 seasons....tell me more about how useless he was?
A sack is only 1 play. The end goal is consistently getting the ball back to the offense... not getting a sack.

Ask Westbrook what all those individual stats are worth come playoff time.
Doleman, Young, Stubblefield, Barker...that was the best 49er DL ever. We had two 10+ sack DEs, and Stubby and Young got pressure from inside and were great against the run. Then we had Plummer inside who had the greatest instincts and reaction time I've ever seen in a LB. I think the niners went many weeks without even giving up a 10 yard run.
It's similar to pairing DTs like say Donald and Suh....how many sacks did they have on their way to the Super Bowl?

They got to the super bowl based off scoring 33 pts per game. IF it was all Suh and Donald that got them there you'd think they would have resigned Suh, no?

again if you're drafting a guy at 2 to play DL he'd better be a 10 sack a yr guy. You think Buck and Q would each get double digit sacks? Or would one guy be handling double teams more?
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Doleman, Young, Stubblefield, Barker...that was the best 49er DL ever. We had two 10+ sack DEs, and Stubby and Young got pressure from inside and were great against the run. Then we had Plummer inside who had the greatest instincts and reaction time I've ever seen in a LB. I think the niners went many weeks without even giving up a 10 yard run.

49ers colored glasses much?
Yes it was great someone pointed out that during their time together the best combined sacks they had was in 94, DT with 8.5 sacks and BY with 6 sacks.

I know it's not all about sacks BUT when you're investing a top 2 pick on DL you better be sacking the QB, a lot.

Bosa would be in the perfect situation to be a double digit sack guy with Buck-AA/Thomas-Ford next to him.

4 more than we did....OMG what great pass rush!!!

And that's with Donald getting half of them. Suh had 4.5 sacks. This just reinforces the point that great DTs playing together aren't likely to give you the sexy stats on their own which given the expectations would have a lot of people screaming bust.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
ER is the priority over DT - I'm picking Bosa at #2.

4 more than we did....OMG what great pass rush!!!

And that's with Donald getting half of them. Suh had 4.5 sacks. This just reinforces the point that great DTs playing together aren't likely to give you the sexy stats on their own which given the expectations would have a lot of people screaming bust.

Lol...not if the opposing teams cant consistently score 10 points a game.

And I think the closest we get to that type of production is by adding Bosa. Thomas needs time inside to see what he can do. It's a different league so even if he sits vs run heavy looks while DJ Jones or Armstead play inside next to Buckner he'll get enough snaps on pass downs.

Thomas has the talent to produce like Barker and ironically Chris Doleman had a very slow start to his career. 3.5 sacks in first 2 seasons after being selected #4 overall. I believe he had a position change of his own.
Originally posted by WINiner:

49ers colored glasses much?

I think he meant those as mental traits. He didn't say Plummer was running with the DBs like Rashan Gary.
Originally posted by mayo49:

pretty much...if Bosa is gone than it's a different discussion
Originally posted by mayo49:

pretty much...if Bosa is gone than it's a different discussion

If Bosa is gone trade or QW and I'm happy.

If Bosa is there I hope we see the obvious choice, even if it's a hard one in some regards and comes with some risk. You HAVE to take that risk.
Share 49ersWebzone