LISTEN: Baldy Breaks Down The 49ers →

There are 116 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Not to mention we already have our Warren Sapp - DeForest Buckner. I'm not sure why people seem to be forgetting him somehow.

I don't think Buckner is a quite the wrecking ball and anchor that Sapp was . . . yet. He could very well be under Kocurek, but I think he's still got work to do.

IMO in terms of impact to a defense:
Buckner = Stubblefield (could be a Richard Seymour if he improves his hand work)
Williams = Bryant Young
Bosa = Justin Smith

Two of the three ain't bad.

Remember how good this team was when they had Stubbelfield and Bryant Young together at defensive tackle positions? What's wrong with that? Teams couldn't run or pass on us. Certainly not up the middle. It's not the worst thing to have you know.

You're conveniently forgetting that the offenses back then were very different and way more run heavy.

You also forget that over a lot of those years we had some pretty good DEs out there. They may not have all been in their prime but they were still producing for us.

Chris Doleman
Rickey Jackson
Kevin Greene
Roy Barker

That's 3 HOFers who played with Stubblefield and Young, maybe they weren't there long and maybe they didn't dominate but it was still not a weakness. You want to concentrate on the great with Buckner and QW but again forget the edge is a major weak point.

Yup
He averaged nearly 13 sacks per season with us over 3 seasons....tell me more about how useless he was?

You will have to show me where I said he was useless?
4 more than we did....OMG what great pass rush!!!

And that's with Donald getting half of them. Suh had 4.5 sacks. This just reinforces the point that great DTs playing together aren't likely to give you the sexy stats on their own which given the expectations would have a lot of people screaming bust.

So you're saying sack totals don't always equate to QB pressure stats?

Thanks for making my point.
Originally posted by KamLeon:

And that's with Donald getting half of them. Suh had 4.5 sacks. This just reinforces the point that great DTs playing together aren't likely to give you the sexy stats on their own which given the expectations would have a lot of people screaming bust.

Rams had the 20th defense in the league despite having the DPOY. Your point whatever it was..was wrong.
He averaged nearly 13 sacks per season with us over 3 seasons....tell me more about how useless he was?

You will have to show me where I said he was useless?

You were def insinuating he wasn't very good here. Was #3, #6 and #17 (with 11 sacks) along with a pro bowl while here. I'd say he was pretty damn good while playing for the Niners

Blast from Charley Casserly's past:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1998/02/24/redskins-stubblefield-agree-to-six-year-deal/9d504a4c-8a56-466b-b1cc-0ac93e06eb6f/?utm_term=.7328ef545f74
"He didn't have as many sacks {in 1996}, but when we put on the tape, we saw he had 15 quarterback pressures the first three games," Casserly said. "Pressures and sacks are almost the same thing to me. If you're getting pressure, that means someone else is getting the sack."

exactly

That funny how we were just talking about Roy Barker.....

Give the dude his props....dont hate on Roy Barker he was fantastic with he 49ers before injuries slowed him down.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
What range will Simmons be drafted?

The "I punched a woman in the face repeatedly on tape and tore my ACL prior to the draft" range.

Outside the 49ers range.

We just lost a valuable draft pick because of this.....

They are not going to roll the dice on another situation like this again...

( i also much prefer the way Phoenix worded it)
if pressures and sacks were the same thing, Aaron Lynch would still be a niner and AA would be making $100 million

Pretty much. In only one season did BY and Stubblefield each have more than 6 sacks. Typically one would have 10 the other 3. Not too mention we were still on the fringe of our dynasty and could recruit any vet we wanted to make an elite all around d. Earl Thomas would be a 49er in the 90's.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 17, 2019 at 1:21 PM ]

Originally posted by NYniner85:
if pressures and sacks were the same thing, Aaron Lynch would still be a niner and AA would be making $100 million

"I felt threatened by AA"
- no QB ever

Though, he usually sneaks in there in time for sloppy seconds and sack credit.
[ Edited by zonkers on Apr 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM ]
- no QB ever

Lol, funny and true
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Remember how good this team was when they had Stubbelfield and Bryant Young together at defensive tackle positions? What's wrong with that? Teams couldn't run or pass on us. Certainly not up the middle. It's not the worst thing to have you know.

Yes it was great someone pointed out that during their time together the best combined sacks they had was in 94, DT with 8.5 sacks and BY with 6 sacks.

I know it's not all about sacks BUT when you're investing a top 2 pick on DL you better be sacking the QB, a lot.

Bosa would be in the perfect situation to be a double digit sack guy with Buck-AA/Thomas-Ford next to him.

Sacks is not the only thing going on. Teams could not run at all on the 49ers. That effected them big time when playing against us. Also having them opened up more single teams on the outside for the edge guys to pass rush and pad their stats. If somebody else is getting padded stats on the outside because the inside guys are getting double teamed that doesn't mean the inside guys aren't doing their job. In fact they are opening things up for the edge guys by their presence and all the attention they demand and blockers they occupy.
- no QB ever

Welp according to PFF he's a qb pressure machine. Aaron lynch was top 10 in the league at one point in pressures while in SF

s**t matters no doubt, you want them sacking the qb if you're drafting them top 2

Rams had the 20th defense in the league despite having the DPOY. Your point whatever it was..was wrong.

A Bosa guy using total yardage for defensive ranking to make hos point. Interesting
Share 49ersWebzone