LISTEN: The Best Of The 49ers Webzone: No Huddle Podcast →

There are 135 users in the forums

WR Oklahoma CeeDee Lamb

Originally posted by leonbanton:
Yeah, just heard the one good corner he faced this year, Gladney, he got shut down! Please stop this hype wagon. Don't need a big, slow, Deebo Samuel. We have Deebo Samuel. We need a WR. He won't get open in the NFL

I would never judge a player based on 1 game. There are a lot of reasons why he may not have had a good game.
Originally posted by DarkShinobiX:
This is the exact reason why I DO NOT want Ruggs. Speed is overrated.

The list of WRs that run a sub 4.3 40 in combine history is pretty terrible. Of course that does not preclude someone from being a great WR, but historically, and oddly, being insanely fast has not translated very well to NFL production.

• 4.22 seconds: John Ross, WR (2017)

• 4.24 seconds: Rondel Menedez, WR (1999)
  • 4.26 seconds: Jerome Mathis, WR (2005)
  • 4.27 seconds: Marquise Goodwin, WR (2013)
  • 4.27 seconds: Henry Ruggs III, WR (2020)
  • 4.28 seconds: Jacoby Ford, WR (2010)
  • 4.28 seconds: J.J. Nelson, WR (2015)
  • 4.30 seconds: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR (2009)
  • 4.30 seconds: Yamon Figurs, WR (2007)
[ Edited by scooterhd on Apr 15, 2020 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by scooterhd:
The list of WRs that run a sub 4.3 40 in combine history is pretty terrible. Of course that does not preclude someone from being a great WR, but historically, and oddly, being insanely fast has not translated very well to NFL production.

I really think that is because most of the super fast guys aren't real big and miss a lot of time with injuries. Sprinters historically suffer a lot of hamstring pulls for whatever reason. It's also a little harder for the QB to put the ball in the right spot when a guy is that fast. There is that tendency to just throw it up and let him run under it which can easily end up in an overthrow or an INT. Like you said, there is no reason why a really fast guy can't be great and dominate the league but to this point the y haven't. Hill is the best right now and he can be stopped. We did it in the SB until that blown coverage.

Thank you for proving my point. Let's also not forget that Ruggs did get injured after running his 40 at the combine.

Since Hill wasn't invited to combine, we eliminate his 4.25-4.28? Speed may not always translate to NFL, but who is arguably the most dangerous WR in NFL? Tyreek Hill.

I know he didn't run at the combine, but this list doesn't include Tyreek Hill. I bet if you ask DCs across the league which offensive player keeps them up at night, there will be a f**k ton of votes for Tyreek Hill.

I'm not sure anyone else in the league affects what a defense does like Tyreek Hill. His speed alone dictates what defenses do.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I know he didn't run at the combine, but this list doesn't include Tyreek Hill. I bet if you ask DCs across the league which offensive player keeps them up at night, there will be a f**k ton of votes for Tyreek Hill.

I'm not sure anyone else in the league affects what a defense does like Tyreek Hill. His speed alone dictates what defenses do.

Not invited to combine, so eliminate his effect on NFL defenses.

The logical explanation for this is that the vast majority of these were track guys, they were lightning fast, relatively coordinated and could catch a football somewhat so in college they thrived and were able to win solely on their athleticism. When they got to the NFL, their overall lack of skill ended up being exposed.

Not sure what sense it makes trying to compare someone like Nelson, Goodwin or Heyward-Bey to Ruggs who is a far more polished and a more highly skilled receiver than any of them were coming out of the draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The logical explanation for this is that the vast majority of these were track guys, they were lightning fast, relatively coordinated and could catch a football somewhat so in college they thrived and were able to win solely on their athleticism. When they got to the NFL, their overall lack of skill ended up being exposed.

Not sure what sense it makes trying to compare someone like Nelson, Goodwin or Heyward-Bey to Ruggs who is a far more polished and a more highly skilled receiver than any of them were coming out of the draft.

How many of those guys had 10+ inch mitts? How many of them were well versed in route running with room to improve there? How many played in a pro system? How many went to good systems for them with good players around them?

So many ways WRs fall on their face due to multiple factors.

Ruggs has a lot of things those other guys didn't have as prospects including production in the SEC, great hands, toughness despite a smaller stature.

And if he's drafted here he'll certainly have the playcalling to make good use of his skills.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Wasnt comparing Ruggs to anyone, just showing the list of sub 4.3 WRs at the combine, which isnt very impressive. No reason why it cant be in the future, but as of right now, that list is weak. The list was more to coincide with the post of 40 times of top WRs in the league last year to show to Lambs speed is just fine. You dont need sub 4.3 speed to be elite. In fact, that hasnt worked out well previously. This is a Lamb thread after all. Of course it make sense to say faster is better, but a 4.5 for Lamb is perfectly fine.

And Ross and Heyward Bay were top 10 picks. It would be one thing if the whole list was 7th round track guys that had 0 football skills, but someone thought these two from power 5 conferences were polished and skilled enough to be drafted higher than I've seen Ruggs predicted to go.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I want Ruggs bad.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Costanza:
People are sleeping a little bit on Lamb. I wasn't that into him but then I started to watch more of his tape, combine, pro day, ect.

He's legit. I'd take Jeudy #1 but there's not much of a gap between the two guys imo.

Oh yeah he's legit. Defensive coordinators would have nightmares adding this YAC Monster to our other YAC beasts in Kittle and Deebo. Only thing I'm curious about is the rumor of him partying too much, not sure if true and I'm not "worried" just curious
That's my only concern too.

I haven't studied up a ton, but from the tape I've seen Lamb, for sure, looks to be the best WR of the 3.

Jeudy is wide open A LOT in film I've seen. That won't happen in the NFL. Sure it'll happen more in shanahan's scheme but he can get anyone open. you want the guys who make the tough catches and I haven't seen enough of that to know Jeudy can do it.

Lamb fights for the balls; has the speed; the YAC, you name it. He's complete and he looks like a guy who could be an absolute monster at the next level.

Ruggs....I don't get it beyond the speed element and big play potential. And while he's lightning fast, there's plenty of guys who are fast that don't amount to anything in the NFL (John Ross). Hell, Goodwin can't find a spot on the roster with a 4.27 and James can't crack into meaningful snaps at WR.

Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of homework. But in terms of the eye test, Lamb looks like the most complete guy, and a WR type the 49ers lack.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Yeah, just heard the one good corner he faced this year, Gladney, he got shut down! Please stop this hype wagon. Don't need a big, slow, Deebo Samuel. We have Deebo Samuel. We need a WR. He won't get open in the NFL

I would never judge a player based on 1 game. There are a lot of reasons why he may not have had a good game.

Yeah, I hated the hype about him before I heard about the one game. I've been trying to derail this all week ever since he got shot putted into a top 10 pick.

The one game illustrates what I have been arguing. All this talk about how outrageous he is with the ball. I watch him and I just don't see him 1) creating any sort of separation in the league and 2)slow motion side stepping and spinning off the tackles against poor competition. Even on his highlights, it looks like lineman and tightends around him are accelerating faster than him to block.

I don't wanna sound like a hater, he may be decent player in the league, but I've already said I don't see the top 10 pick thing. I think people want to give him to Shanahan to get him the ball outside of being a wide receiver.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

I haven't studied up a ton, but from the tape I've seen Lamb, for sure, looks to be the best WR of the 3.

Jeudy is wide open A LOT in film I've seen. That won't happen in the NFL. Sure it'll happen more in shanahan's scheme but he can get anyone open. you want the guys who make the tough catches and I haven't seen enough of that to know Jeudy can do it.

Lamb fights for the balls; has the speed; the YAC, you name it. He's complete and he looks like a guy who could be an absolute monster at the next level.

Ruggs....I don't get it beyond the speed element and big play potential. And while he's lightning fast, there's plenty of guys who are fast that don't amount to anything in the NFL (John Ross). Hell, Goodwin can't find a spot on the roster with a 4.27 and James can't crack into meaningful snaps at WR.

Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of homework. But in terms of the eye test, Lamb looks like the most complete guy, and a WR type the 49ers lack.

At least Ruggs looks like he can get open. 🙂. We will see if those slow motion spins and side steps don't get him blasted in the nfl. 🙃

I'm just saying he is not the best receiver in the class. People are running way to hard with that narrative.
[ Edited by leonbanton on Apr 15, 2020 at 5:06 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

At least Ruggs looks like he can get open. 🙂. We will see if those slow motion spins and side steps don't get him blasted in the nfl. 🙃

I'm just saying he is not the best receiver in the class. People are running way to hard with that narrative.

That's the beauty--nobody knows. But Ruggs durability at the next level (as well as not getting blasted off the line) gives me pause.

I am thinking the Niners go CB or mayyybeee oline with that first pick anyhow (if they don't trade back). I think they need a WR too and it'd be tempting at that spot should the right guy fall, but I'd imagine any Shanahan WR darling would have to come at 31 or 2nd/3rd round in a trade scenario.
Share 49ersWebzone