LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 233 users in the forums

WR Oklahoma CeeDee Lamb

Originally posted by krizay:
Eagles rumored to be in love with Lamb and looking to move up. Pull that trigger JL

I was reading all the comments from that article and a ton of eagle fans are saying the guy reporting it is bogus FWIW
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I was reading all the comments from that article and a ton of eagle fans are saying the guy reporting it is bogus FWIW

how dare you
Not sure why anyone would trade up for a WR in this draft. Especially for couple of rounds. You can sit back and grab which ever one that falls.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Not sure why anyone would trade up for a WR in this draft. Especially for couple of rounds. You can sit back and grab which ever one that falls.

Yes. I see the opposite happening where teams are trading up for other positions like OT and CB, and WRs fall. Predicting one of the big 3 WR will be available at 15-18.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Who was the best WR we have had since TO? I would argue it was clearly Anquon Boldin. Anquon never was gonna create a ton of separation but he was always the go to WR because he had great hands and could catch anything and everything in traffic.

That's Lamb and then some. Lamb has some of the best ball skills of any WR since Hopkins imo. He's open when he's not open. We already have Kendrick Bourne who people are beginning to love and he's not really gonna create a ton of separation either.

Jimmy's game is getting the ball out quick to his WRs and allowing them to RAC. Lamb can do that with the best of them.

I certainly concede that there's a path for Lamb to be a great receiver. I think my biases just lend themselves to size/strength/speed/explosiveness combinations. If you don't have great speed/explosiveness, then I want you to be bigger/thicker. Lamb's not small, but Hopkins and Boldin were a lot heavier coming out, around 215-220 whereas Lamb is under 200. Certainly, there's a lot more to it than just a size/strength plus speed/explosiveness combination, but for a top WR prospect, I personally think that it increases the likelihood that your game translates. And I think Lamb's 4.5 is faster than what it looks to me on youtube.

He does a ton of great things though. He seems like he has a very high floor. He's got skills and that dog in him.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I certainly concede that there's a path for Lamb to be a great receiver. I think my biases just lend themselves to size/strength/speed/explosiveness combinations. If you don't have great speed/explosiveness, then I want you to be bigger/thicker. Lamb's not small, but Hopkins and Boldin were a lot heavier coming out, around 215-220 whereas Lamb is under 200. Certainly, there's a lot more to it than just a size/strength plus speed/explosiveness combination, but for a top WR prospect, I personally think that it increases the likelihood that your game translates. And I think Lamb's 4.5 is faster than what it looks to me on youtube.

He does a ton of great things though. He seems like he has a very high floor. He's got skills and that dog in him.

Of all the physical things you can name about a player, weight is the one thing that can usually be added or lost. You can't do anything about the other things. Some players naturally add some weight as they get a little older ( don't we all) and reach physical maturity.
Originally posted by leonbanton:
Exactly. At least these guys were playing people? I tried to make a Higgins thread and peopled booed me out of the room, talking about how slow he was.

And then hoist up CeeDee lamb as elite!

At least I've seen Higgins against competition and ball. I've seen him match up, win on all levels of the defense, for 4 years.

To be fair, I don't like Higgins haha. He gives up his chest way too much vs press.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Of all the physical things you can name about a player, weight is the one thing that can usually be added or lost. You can't do anything about the other things. Some players naturally add some weight as they get a little older ( don't we all) and reach physical maturity.

It's about what your game speed/explosiveness is like in combination with that weight. If Ceedee wants to play at 215, I have no idea what how he's going to move at that weight. To be honest, I think he cut a lot of weight for the combine to improve his 40 time, becausehe actually looks/plays pretty big but also slower than his combine measurements.

Sure, some players add weight. You think Lamb is going to play at 215? I don't see a guy who looks particularly underdeveloped. I mean, this is why scouts like to see guys shirtless so they can get a sense of the player's frame and project. But the best I can do is compare Lamb to his current and former draft peers who were bigger than him at a similar age.
Originally posted by FL9er:
If you go back and watch the LSU game, Lamb was run down by Chaisson on a pass reception. [and it wasn't 20 yards downfield]

1:47 in this video. Lamb catches the ball and has to turn and accelerate from a standstill while Chaisson gets a running start and makes a diving tackle. I don't get how that's a knock on Lamb. The same thing could happen to Tyreek Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QRCWLQfXKA
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

It's about what your game speed/explosiveness is like in combination with that weight. If Ceedee wants to play at 215, I have no idea what how he's going to move at that weight. To be honest, I think he cut a lot of weight for the combine to improve his 40 time, becausehe actually looks/plays pretty big but also slower than his combine measurements.

Sure, some players add weight. You think Lamb is going to play at 215? I don't see a guy who looks particularly underdeveloped. I mean, this is why scouts like to see guys shirtless so they can get a sense of the player's frame and project. But the best I can do is compare Lamb to his current and former draft peers who were bigger than him at a similar age.

Lamb isn't going to bulk up to 215 easily. I do think he played at 198 though and plays to a 4.5. He looks pretty lean in the CFP Semifinal against LSU. He plays a lot more physically than you'd expect at that size. I'm okay with him or Ruggs at 13 but I wouldn't be jumping for joy because I don't think any of the WR prospects are that great.

I don't know if he can add weight to his frame since I haven't seen him that much. Some guys can and others can't. At 21 most guys add weight naturally as they build their muscle. My main point was that I wouldn't worry about that s much as short arms, lack of height or really small hands. Not anything you can do about any of those things. Speed can be improved a little.
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Agreed, but aren't comparing off field issues. Comparing speed and how it impacts the game on the field.

Getting suspended doesn't effect on field issues?

I'll make it easy, WHEN he is on the field, is he the most dangerous offensive player on either team? Almost 100% of the time, yes. Does his 4.25-4.28 speed have a lot do with this? Also. Yes.
Originally posted by krizay:
Eagles rumored to be in love with Lamb and looking to move up. Pull that trigger JL

nah they want ruggs
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
1:47 in this video. Lamb catches the ball and has to turn and accelerate from a standstill while Chaisson gets a running start and makes a diving tackle. I don't get how that's a knock on Lamb. The same thing could happen to Tyreek Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QRCWLQfXKA

I was going off memory and I was wrong. It was way downfield. And I wasn't knocking Lamb. Actually meant to point out Chaisson's hustle on the play.
Originally posted by leonbanton:
Originally posted by strickac:
Lamb is a stud though. The separation argument is null. Kyle has said there's many ways for WRs to separate. It's not just a speed thing. Lamb has a radius DBs can't deal with. He's a better prospect than Ruggs. Judy is the only guy ahead of him

Seperation argument null? What game or situation are we talking about here? Radius? What?

Is this from a game or are we watching workouts?

Does that not prove ability. It's not like him game tape is lacking playmaking ability.

If tape was the only thing that mattered Calvin Johnson would've been a mid-round pick... and that's only because he had 1 spectacular catch in college. Without it he's a borderline UDFA. So yes, workouts and demonstrating superior athletic ability matters.
[ Edited by strickac on Apr 17, 2020 at 8:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone