LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 158 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Not sure how anyone can see that and claim he's not an NFL QB.

My only complaint is that there is too much PA. I would like to see more regular passes, because those are where games are won. But he shows so much in terms of the other things NFL QBs must do.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

My only complaint is that there is too much PA. I would like to see more regular passes, because those are where games are won. But he shows so much in terms of the other things NFL QBs must do.

I just watched. Not accurate, mostly running, not impressed

Sarcasm? That 195 yards passing against Delaware really impressed me lol. Watch that first throw. Ugly throwing motion. Looks like he is throwing it in slow motion. A few good throws at this level of competition is not going to convince me this kid is anywhere close to being ready to play in the NFL.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This. faster feet and a livelier set and throw. Really like how he gets off balance to make a play -- he's seizing the play, he's reacting to the opportunity. He doesn't look robotic or over coached. Problem is, he's not playing the Alabama's and Ohio States. You wonder if he will hold up if everyone is 2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier. Plus, there's way too many designed runs in his high lights up the middle. No way that's happening in the NFL. I don't see any read option. The same plays in the NFL will lead to injury. Is there any all-22 for him?

I think there's a theme here in that North Dakota State's offensive scheme is proving to hurt Lance's draft spot due to how conservative it was at times. I'm assuming the reason they had him run so much is because they knew they were better than any competition they played and so there was no reason for them to pass more and potentially turn the ball over.

I just think Lance can make all the throws and I believe if he played at a more pass friendly school with NFL prospects at WR like some of these other QBs he might be the favorite by fans and the 49ers themselves.

I know you're probably thinking "well yeah captain obvious" but I don't think it's that obvious because I keep seeing people evaluate QBs by the result of the play, scheme, level of competition, and other factors he cannot control and not trying to isolate the skill set of the player. If you just watch Lance's movement in and outside the pocket, the arm angles throwing high to low to his check downs, breaking would be sacks, putting air under footballs like we haven't seen since maybe Russell Wilson or Joe Flacco... I'm just wondering if we're not looking at the best QB in this class with Lance with all the other factors overshadowing him.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I think there's a theme here in that North Dakota State's offensive scheme is proving to hurt Lance's draft spot due to how conservative it was at times. I'm assuming the reason they had him run so much is because they knew they were better than any competition they played and so there was no reason for them to pass more and potentially turn the ball over.

I just think Lance can make all the throws and I believe if he played at a more pass friendly school with NFL prospects at WR like some of these other QBs he might be the favorite by fans and the 49ers themselves.

I know you're probably thinking "well yeah captain obvious" but I don't think it's that obvious because I keep seeing people evaluate QBs by the result of the play, scheme, level of competition, and other factors he cannot control and not trying to isolate the skill set of the player. If you just watch Lance's movement in and outside the pocket, the arm angles throwing high to low to his check downs, breaking would be sacks, putting air under footballs like we haven't seen since maybe Russell Wilson or Joe Flacco... I'm just wondering if we're not looking at the best QB in this class with Lance with all the other factors overshadowing him.

I still have a feeling that he's going to be the pick. I want and would love Fields. Gut tells me it's Lance. But I think they really are taking Jones
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd love Lance, but it's going to take a year or two for him to be ready to take over.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

I still have a feeling that he's going to be the pick. I want and would love Fields. Gut tells me it's Lance. But I think they really are taking Jones

It's the opposite for me. I think we're taking Fields but I just slightly want Lance more. I'm very happy either way.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd love Lance, but it's going to take a year or two for him to be ready to take over.

If they plan on having Jimmy play out the remaining two years of his contract, Lance would make sense. There would be no QB controversy and Lance could just sit and watch and take everything in. The one negative is you lose two years of having him on a rookie contract. But I think the patience will be worth it. I wonder where Lance would have been ranked had his school not decide to opt out. He could have been right up there with Lawrence. Right now we may be talking about Lance being locked to go to the Jets at #2.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Apr 11, 2021 at 12:18 AM ]
It's the opposite for me. I think we're taking Fields but I just slightly want Lance more. I'm very happy either way.

Oh I would be very happy with Lance. I'd love it, been riding on this train
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by mayo49:

If they plan on having Jimmy play out the remaining two years of his contract, Lance would make sense. There would be no QB controversy and Lance could just sit and watch and take everything in. The one negative is you lose two years of having him on a rookie contract. But I think the patience will be worth it. I wonder where Lance would have been ranked had his school not decide to opt out. He could have been right up there with Lawrence. Right now we may be talking about Lance being locked to go to the Jets at #2.

Oh for sure, another year like the one he had and he'd be in the discussion. If he declared next year he'd be the #1 lock IMO. I also feel the opposite and think his transition to this scheme would be easy, I really don't think he would need it. But a year learning wouldn't hurt if Jimmy could make it through

Originally posted by JoseCortez:

I just watched. Not accurate, mostly running, not impressed

I saw some "inaccurate" passes that weren't actually inaccurate, but were thrown to spots because of coverage. There were, of course, misses, but I think there's more than meets the eye. Nothing wrong with looking closer:

Pass 1: inaccurate, but it's a streak. Guys hit about 50% of them at best. I'm not concerned.
2: Accurate; under center, play-action. Less he has to work on at the next level.
3: Inaccurate. This is one of his flaws, specifically. A mechanical issue which rears its head from time to time causing passes to sink. NOT unfixable. Especially if he's going to ride pine for a year.
4: I'd consider that accurate, even if it's a bit low, on the grounds that it protected the WR.
5: I consider this accurate. There is a safety behind him. If that's thrown hitting him in perfect stride, he gets perfectly lit up. Good QBs protect their WRs.
6: Clearly a throw away, so I don't consider it inaccurate.
7: Just a screen pass. A Jimmy pass.
8: I consider this accurate. Because of the coverage, the ball must be thrown where only the WR can get it. From the angle, it looks as if the WR had a chance. Especially considering it's a timing route and the WR was held when he tried to make his break. Ball was still near his hands.
9: Accurate. WR slipped on break. Ball has to be thrown before the break. It was, and it was on target. WR still caught it despite him slipping.
10: You could nitpick this one and say it should have been put six inches more toward the sideline, although you could argue that you want to lead him up field and not toward the sideline. But for the sake of argument I'll call this inaccurate.
11: This is one of those passes where you HAVE to put it where only the WR can get it. It was essentially a throw-away. I have no problem with this.
12: This is ALMOST accurate. He had the right idea — you need to throw the ball AWAY from the path the WR is running and make him turn around to catch it, due to the leverage of the defender. But the ball should have been thrown MORE to the outside shoulder. This is in accurate, but it's an attempt at the right idea, which shows Lance understands a bit about leverage.
13: Could have been put six inches in front.
14: This is a dime.
15: This is inaccurate, but more importantly it's late. It's not THAT inaccurate. But the problem is that it should have been thrown half a second earlier.
16: This pass is fine.
17: Same.
18: THIS one is accurate, despite being behind. It HAD to be behind, because of the window. The WR takes a shot, but he's able to protect himself. Had the ball hit the WR in stride, without forcing him to turn, he'd get killed.
19: Pass is fine.
20: Pass is fine.
21: You might consider this high, but the pass required touch to get over the defender and into the window. This is accurate.
22: Clearly overthrown, but the WR was tackled off screen. It's hard to say how accurate or inaccurate it was from this film. But if you're going to miss that, better to overthrow it.
23: A bit behind.

Inaccurate? No. Accurate? No. If you listed his strengths and weaknesses, as Max Browne said, accuracy isn't going to be on either list. He's accurate enough to have success, when combined with the rest of the package. But what encouraged me here is that he seems to understand that you can't always throw to a guy in stride — you have to account for leverage sometimes.

In addition, all that under center PA stuff, the pro reads and so on, are an additional things the rookie will not have to learn how to do. Instead he can work on the playbook and improving his fundamentals, which will boost his accuracy a little bit. It's rare that people significantly improve there, but he'll have most of a season if not the entire season to work on that.
Originally posted by Bloodless:

Sarcasm? That 195 yards passing against Delaware really impressed me lol. Watch that first throw. Ugly throwing motion. Looks like he is throwing it in slow motion. A few good throws at this level of competition is not going to convince me this kid is anywhere close to being ready to play in the NFL.

In a couple of passes he showed that he understands leverage. That's a huge deal. He NEEDS to work on his fundamentals a bit, which will improve his accuracy. But he'd get to have a year of pine riding for that.

No, of course he's not ready to play now. But he has a huge jump on most of the other guys, because he's seen several important NFL concepts. That, and the couple of passes that indicated he understood leverage, are what encouraged me here. His accuracy is concerning, but he's not INACCURATE. He's just not particularly accurate. However, sitting on the bench for a year will give him a chance to iron out the mechanical deficiencies hurting him. It's true guys rarely fix that. But that's because guys are rarely afforded the opportunity to do so, being thrust into the game.

But some guys get that chance, and they fix their problems (Aaron Rodgers rings a bell):

https://www.stack.com/a/aaron-rodgers-offers-rare-insight-into-the-mechanics-that-make-nfls-best-passer

If we draft Lance, he will be afforded the opportunity to do what Rodgers had the opportunity to do. Will it work? Who knows. But he'll get the opportunity.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This. faster feet and a livelier set and throw. Really like how he gets off balance to make a play -- he's seizing the play, he's reacting to the opportunity. He doesn't look robotic or over coached. Problem is, he's not playing the Alabama's and Ohio States. You wonder if he will hold up if everyone is 2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier. Plus, there's way too many designed runs in his high lights up the middle. No way that's happening in the NFL. I don't see any read option. The same plays in the NFL will lead to injury. Is there any all-22 for him?

Lance could be the best if he takes that year on the bench to improve his mechanics, which will help his accuracy, and if he masters the play-book to the point that whatever deficiencies he has post-snap are mitigated.

Or he could be a middling guy if he doesn't. But if you're throwing away that many picks for one guy, you probably want a guy who has the "potential" to be great.

I still lean Fields, but there's something to work with here with Lance.
Lance could be the best if he takes that year on the bench to improve his mechanics, which will help his accuracy, and if he masters the play-book to the point that whatever deficiencies he has post-snap are mitigated.

Or he could be a middling guy if he doesn't. But if you're throwing away that many picks for one guy, you probably want a guy who has the "potential" to be great.

Another thing to keep in mind in regard to his mechanics is that almost all of his film is old. With every other prospect we're typically looking at last year's tape. Trey has spent a good portion of the last year working with Quincy Avery and Jordan Palmer on his mechanics, and I think he looked cleaner in that regard at his first Pro Day.

Also since he's fairly prominent in this game I feel it my duty to point out the fun fact that Phoenix Sproles is Darren Sproles's cousin.
[ Edited by IceMan1763 on Apr 11, 2021 at 5:48 AM ]
Originally posted by IceMan1763:

Another thing to keep in mind in regard to his mechanics is that almost all of his film is old. With every other prospect we're typically looking at last year's tape. Trey has spent a good portion of the last year working with Quincy Avery and Jordan Palmer on his mechanics, and I think he looked cleaner in that regard at his first Pro Day.

Also since he's fairly prominent in this game I feel it my duty to point out the fun fact that Phoenix Sproles is Darren Sproles's cousin.

I was wondering about that.
Share 49ersWebzone