LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 154 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by IceMan1763:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Lance could be the best if he takes that year on the bench to improve his mechanics, which will help his accuracy, and if he masters the play-book to the point that whatever deficiencies he has post-snap are mitigated.

Or he could be a middling guy if he doesn't. But if you're throwing away that many picks for one guy, you probably want a guy who has the "potential" to be great.

I still lean Fields, but there's something to work with here with Lance.

Another thing to keep in mind in regard to his mechanics is that almost all of his film is old. With every other prospect we're typically looking at last year's tape. Trey has spent a good portion of the last year working with Quincy Avery and Jordan Palmer on his mechanics, and I think he looked cleaner in that regard at his first Pro Day.

Also since he's fairly prominent in this game I feel it my duty to point out the fun fact that Phoenix Sproles is Darren Sproles's cousin.

Thing is his film is old which means you're guessing on his progression. There have been many cases where players regress. He had one game this year and as a passer it wasn't pretty.

We can certainly play the "it was the only game he had this year so he was pressing" but that's not a good look if he can't handle being big moments with a lot of pressure on them.

But yeah he got to sit and work on his mechanics while the other guys played. Question becomes does that extra time to work on mechanics cover his inexperience actually throwing vs real competition?

We'll find out how teams see him. Barely over 300 attempts and vs FCS is a tough read for me but I'm just a dude on a couch. NFL coaches know what they want and what they need to see to know if a player is worth betting on.

If it's not Fields, I'd rather it be Lance. But I'd be pretty nervous the competition jump and limited experience gives us too many growing pains before our SB window closes.
Really like his athleticism and Vibe on the field. But he's unselectable at 3. For political reasons and also maturational reasons. By trading up to three we've kind of disqualified ourselves from taking him. He didn't play at all last year? He's only 20? He's running an offense where there's no read option? We can't really take that at 3. Which is really too bad because he's super attractive in many ways. And he won't fall out of the top 10 unfortunately because of all the attention that quarterbacks are getting right now. Thanks to Kyle and John.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Really like his athleticism and Vibe on the field. But he's unselectable at 3. For political reasons and also maturational reasons. By trading up to three we've kind of disqualified ourselves from taking him. He didn't play at all last year? He's only 20? He's running an offense where there's no read option? We can't really take that at 3. Which is really too bad because he's super attractive in many ways. And he won't fall out of the top 10 unfortunately because of all the attention that quarterbacks are getting right now. Thanks to Kyle and John.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by IceMan1763:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Lance could be the best if he takes that year on the bench to improve his mechanics, which will help his accuracy, and if he masters the play-book to the point that whatever deficiencies he has post-snap are mitigated.

Or he could be a middling guy if he doesn't. But if you're throwing away that many picks for one guy, you probably want a guy who has the "potential" to be great.

I still lean Fields, but there's something to work with here with Lance.

Another thing to keep in mind in regard to his mechanics is that almost all of his film is old. With every other prospect we're typically looking at last year's tape. Trey has spent a good portion of the last year working with Quincy Avery and Jordan Palmer on his mechanics, and I think he looked cleaner in that regard at his first Pro Day.

Also since he's fairly prominent in this game I feel it my duty to point out the fun fact that Phoenix Sproles is Darren Sproles's cousin.

Thing is his film is old which means you're guessing on his progression. There have been many cases where players regress. He had one game this year and as a passer it wasn't pretty.

We can certainly play the "it was the only game he had this year so he was pressing" but that's not a good look if he can't handle being big moments with a lot of pressure on them.

But yeah he got to sit and work on his mechanics while the other guys played. Question becomes does that extra time to work on mechanics cover his inexperience actually throwing vs real competition?

We'll find out how teams see him. Barely over 300 attempts and vs FCS is a tough read for me but I'm just a dude on a couch. NFL coaches know what they want and what they need to see to know if a player is worth betting on.

If it's not Fields, I'd rather it be Lance. But I'd be pretty nervous the competition jump and limited experience gives us too many growing pains before our SB window closes.

Could also have been simple rust to an extent.

Everything about this post....

I think he has the mental traits necessary to be great. He has some excellent physical talent. The only variable other than where he lands is how bad he wants to be great, and by all available evidence he is passing with flying colors there.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You mean the part about his exceptionally lively feet?
Or the hassle of having him idle for a year playing midget competition? Or the media bombardment our executive management team will take sitting down a kid for 18 months after drafting him 3?

Funny selfie.

Omg,
Is Trey Lance political? Lol

You mean the part about his exceptionally lively feet?
Or the hassle of having him idle for a year playing midget competition? Or the media bombardment our executive management team will take sitting down a kid for 18 months after drafting him 3?

Funny selfie.

What don't you mean by political reasons?

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Is Trey Lance political? Lol

I think he's talking about how raw he is, and how much the move would raise eyebrows. It's one Jed would have to sign off for sure.

Probably could have used scrutinized over political, but I think I've understood it right.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I think he's talking about how raw he is, and how much the move would raise eyebrows. It's one Jed would have to sign off for sure.

Probably could have used scrutinized over political, but I think I've understood it right.

I mean they will be blasted in the media just like if they take Jones.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I mean they will be blasted in the media just like if they take Jones.

I mean... who cares what the media thinks. The fans would be relatively okay with Lance. Way more so than Jones.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/poll-who-will-49ers-draft-at-no-3
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I mean... who cares what the media thinks. The fans would be relatively okay with Lance. Way more so than Jones.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/poll-who-will-49ers-draft-at-no-3

I think the fans would get excited once they looked into him more, got to see him in interviews, and of course on the field.

The fans will erupt if they actually gave up 2 1sts and a 3rd for Jones.
Share 49ersWebzone