LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 148 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

• Rascal
  • Veteran
So, the word is Washington might trade up to grab Trey Lance?!

SOB, we really have to take him!!
Originally posted by Rascal:

Yeah because of all NFL organizations, Washington is known for making sound, logical decisions.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yeah because of all NFL organizations, Washington is known for making sound, logical decisions.

• Rascal
  • Veteran

Don't underestimate Washington. Ron Rivera is in charge now. Look at their D, is already coming together. Next is the offense.

In any case, is irrelevant whether Washington makes sound decisions. If is not Washington, some other team will come up to grab him. Trey Lance is the QB with the highest ceiling.
Washington should definetely trade up for a QB. Similar to us it's their only missing piece. They have an elite defense, especially that Dline. They have weapons at WR, they have a RB, A decent TE. They just need that franchise QB and they will own that division(which isn't very strong) for many years to come.

Motorboat Ron is.

Or is it Riverboat?

Don't underestimate Washington. Ron Rivera is in charge now. Look at their D, is already coming together. Next is the offense.

In any case, is irrelevant whether Washington makes sound decisions. If is not Washington, some other team will come up to grab him. Trey Lance is the QB with the highest ceiling.

I'll ask again, what makes Lance's ceiling any higher than Fields?

Originally posted by Heroism:

My gut feeling has been Lance was ultimately going to be the pick and the more information I read and see on him the more I feel that will be the case which is why I agree with Haberman and Middlekauff here.

I'm guessing when Shanahan and the 9ers look at Lance they'll see the athleticism they would covet with Fields but the high mental upside they would covet with Mac Jones.

Also they know he could operate Shanahan's offense because he's done similar things in college which makes it easier for Shanahan to project how he would function in his offense from a physical and mental standpoint. You know he can throw on the run, turn his back to the defense, do play action, take snaps from center, and etc but you also know he's not going to have issues operating a huddle, taking care of the football, or handling long play calls.

Their insistence on keeping Jimmy G unless they get a great offer for him and moves like Sudfeld getting a contract offer that indicates he'll be more than a camp arm hint to me they are planning on taking a guy that they definitely plan to sit for a year and out of all the guys to take at 3 Lance is one you'll want to redshirt for a year.
Originally posted by genus49:

Age and more natural throwing mechanics.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I think he's talking about how raw he is, and how much the move would raise eyebrows. It's one Jed would have to sign off for sure.

Probably could have used scrutinized over political, but I think I've understood it right.

I mean they will be blasted in the media just like if they take Jones.

I mean... who cares what the media thinks. The fans would be relatively okay with Lance. Way more so than Jones.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/poll-who-will-49ers-draft-at-no-3

agree. most fans, including me will riot if Jones is the pick! would love the guy with the highest upside..like Lance or Fields. love this kid's personality. Reminds me of a young Russell Wilson when he talks.
[ Edited by hello49 on Apr 11, 2021 at 11:56 PM ]
Not a fan of lances accuracy. I just don't think it's that good at where he is at in his development
Originally posted by IceMan1763:

Age and more natural throwing mechanics.

He's a year younger, had more time to work on his throwing mechanics which haven't been displayed in a real game vs better competition.

He's not as accurate and may not be as fast as Fields.

Fields meanwhile has way more experience playing QB and against much better competition.
He's a year younger, had more time to work on his throwing mechanics which haven't been displayed in a real game vs better competition.

He's not as accurate and may not be as fast as Fields.

Fields meanwhile has way more experience playing QB and against much better competition.

He's probably not quite as fast running in a straight line, but he's more shifty. He was clocked going 21.54 mph on his TD scramble in the national championship game which would've made him the 12th fastest player clocked in the NFL that year and the fastest QB.

I think they're equally accurate. Actually in these 5 prospects they're equally inaccurate as I wouldn't list it as a strength for either when comparing all 5. I don't look at completion % though because it's misleading. Fields benefitted from his WR pulling in an exceptional number of his off target passes. Adjusted accuracy metrics show that both are plenty accurate to be a top 5 pick, but not quite as accurate as the other 3. Other prospects suffer in other areas... Mac Jones, for example, doesn't fare well when pressured, which is one area that seems to correlate to NFL success.
[ Edited by IceMan1763 on Apr 12, 2021 at 5:44 AM ]
Originally posted by rathman4481:
Not a fan of lances accuracy. I just don't think it's that good at where he is at in his development

He's just a pup...I wouldn't expect anyone to have pin point accuracy as a red shirt freshman (who's working on his mechanics). I might be wrong, but I don't think he was gifted QB camps and QB coaches like some other 16-18 yr old kids.

You can already see the massive improvement just in the past 5 months working with Quincey. His mechanics overall look much more compact then last yrs film. He just needs reps.

Honestly I wouldn't hate him or Fields, I just have Fields as my QB2
Share 49ersWebzone