George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 170 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

That video makes me genuinely wonder how guys like him and Allen get snubbed from big time programs. Like Jesus they have cannon for arms and are good physical runners. Surely a power 5 school would've liked that a lot.
Originally posted by Bloodless:
Not trying to pile onto Lance but even the Minnesota Gophers did not want him to play QB coming out of high school? Now I am supposed to believe after one season over 1 year ago in the FBS where he averaged like 18 passes a game, he is now ready to play QB in the NFL? Not just play QB in the NFL but worthy of #3 overall and two future first-rounders? I am not even sure how he is still in the conversation at this point. If you are going to draft someone simply because of physical traits then just draft Fields as he has everything you would want from a physical talent standpoint.

That's a way to look at it, although quite the pessimistic one. Another would be that he overcomes adversity and works hard to do so.
From Kurt Warner:

"He's got great athleticism, can do some great things with his legs, he's got the big arm and the ability to make every throw," NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner told The Post. "Those are things to me that you know.

"When I watched the tape, I think there's a lot of inconsistencies in his game, from a technique standpoint, from a decision-making standpoint, and so there's a lot of up and down with him. And so for me, I'm always leery of guys that are wildly inconsistent in those areas — missed throws that they're supposed to make, can make a great read one time and then the next time comes back and you just shake your head going, 'OK, no idea what they're looking at or why they would make that decision in another situation.'

"So, although there's huge upside physically, to me there's a lot of questions."

From Matt Miller:

Mitchell Trubisky started 13 games at North Carolina. Mark Sanchez started 16 games at USC. Kyler Murray started 17 games at Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Dwayne Haskins started 14 games at Ohio State.

"There's not a great track record of quarterbacks drafted in the first round with under 20 starts," ESPN NFL draft analyst Matt Miller told The Post. "So you worry about that a little bit. But on the other side of that, he's playing in an offense that's very pro-style at North Dakota State. They're running play-action. He's asked to do a lot at the line of scrimmage. So you're trying to really justify the 17 starts at a low-level competition as well. It's not like 17 starts at Alabama like Mac Jones has.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/12/quarterback-trey-lance-is-mystery-man-of-2021-nfl-draft/
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

This is a thing of beauty, completely stopping his momentum, perfect base and quick unload.

The kid has so much potential

if posted already then too bad.
Not trying to pile onto Lance but even the Minnesota Gophers did not want him to play QB coming out of high school? Now I am supposed to believe after one season over 1 year ago in the FBS where he averaged like 18 passes a game, he is now ready to play QB in the NFL? Not just play QB in the NFL but worthy of #3 overall and two future first-rounders? I am not even sure how he is still in the conversation at this point. If you are going to draft someone simply because of physical traits then just draft Fields as he has everything you would want from a physical talent standpoint.

... because you watch the tape.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
From Kurt Warner:

"He's got great athleticism, can do some great things with his legs, he's got the big arm and the ability to make every throw," NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner told The Post. "Those are things to me that you know.

"When I watched the tape, I think there's a lot of inconsistencies in his game, from a technique standpoint, from a decision-making standpoint, and so there's a lot of up and down with him. And so for me, I'm always leery of guys that are wildly inconsistent in those areas — missed throws that they're supposed to make, can make a great read one time and then the next time comes back and you just shake your head going, 'OK, no idea what they're looking at or why they would make that decision in another situation.'

"So, although there's huge upside physically, to me there's a lot of questions."

From Matt Miller:

Mitchell Trubisky started 13 games at North Carolina. Mark Sanchez started 16 games at USC. Kyler Murray started 17 games at Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Dwayne Haskins started 14 games at Ohio State.

"There's not a great track record of quarterbacks drafted in the first round with under 20 starts," ESPN NFL draft analyst Matt Miller told The Post. "So you worry about that a little bit. But on the other side of that, he's playing in an offense that's very pro-style at North Dakota State. They're running play-action. He's asked to do a lot at the line of scrimmage. So you're trying to really justify the 17 starts at a low-level competition as well. It's not like 17 starts at Alabama like Mac Jones has.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/12/quarterback-trey-lance-is-mystery-man-of-2021-nfl-draft/

The same Kurt Warner who said Mullens can run the offense better than Jimmy G?
Originally posted by IceMan1763:
Not sure if this has been posted, kinda old now but well done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fLJ433VXQw&ab_channel=ESPNCollegeFootball

Didn't Boise state make a late offer ? I read somewhere Lance remained loyal to the mighty Bison football program.
He's just so raw and inaccurate. Needs a ton of work. Seems like a good guy, good leader smart and mature. Just a huge gamble.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
He's just so raw and inaccurate. Needs a ton of work. Seems like a good guy, good leader smart and mature. Just a huge gamble.

He's actually not inaccurate at all and he's only raw in the sense that he hasn't played that many games (same as Mac Jones) and the competition he played wasn't nearly as good as the other prospects. 28 touchdowns to 0 interceptions in 2019 which is a college record.

I don't know why people think he needs a ton of work but Justin Fields or Mac Jones doesn't. Lance has played in a pro style system, he can look off safeties, he knows when to check it down, his footwork during play action and rolling out is fantastic, he can go through multiple reads, he's basically displayed the most ability to play within Kyle's system of any QB in the draft due to his school's scheme.

I'm not saying there is no risk and that he's better than Fields overall but just labeling him "raw" and "inaccurate" is just lazy scouting at this point.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

He's actually not inaccurate at all and he's only raw in the sense that he hasn't played that many games (same as Mac Jones) and the competition he played wasn't nearly as good as the other prospects. 28 touchdowns to 0 interceptions in 2019 which is a college record.

I don't know why people think he needs a ton of work but Justin Fields or Mac Jones doesn't. Lance has played in a pro style system, he can look off safeties, he knows when to check it down, his footwork during play action and rolling out is fantastic, he can go through multiple reads, he's basically displayed the most ability to play within Kyle's system of any QB in the draft due to his school's scheme.

I'm not saying there is no risk and that he's better than Fields overall but just labeling him "raw" and "inaccurate" is just lazy scouting at this point.

Just because he ran a pro offense doesn't mean he has perfected the qb position. His feet are are all over the place his throwing motion is horrendous, he doesn't have much touch to his passes. There's a reason why he looks spectacular on one post, then there's the ball in the dirt on the next play. You just can't use the third pick on a guy just based on his physical attributes
From Kurt Warner:

From Matt Miller:

How can Miller say what he did about Lance, and then say "It's not like 17 starts at Alabama"? It's still college, if you ding Lance for it you have to ding Mac.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Lance is a project.
Originally posted by IceMan1763:
Not sure if this has been posted, kinda old now but well done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fLJ433VXQw&ab_channel=ESPNCollegeFootball

It's also because he played in a Pro Style offense. And presumably he'd sit for a year or even the duration of Jimmy's two years remaining, so him not being ready to play is irrelevant.

So if they take him, it won't be just for "traits."
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
From Kurt Warner:

From Matt Miller:

How can Miller say what he did about Lance, and then say "It's not like 17 starts at Alabama"? It's still college, if you ding Lance for it you have to ding Mac.

No, because McCorkle has way more experience actually passing the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone