There are 380 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
you uh.. don't want to board the lance train?

soot yorself

Wait. This is probably better:

You should make the guy Deshaun Watson with all the "massage therapists"
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
ok after watching tape again, im confident the niners take lance. honestly ill be surprised if kyle doesn't take him.

What did you see that makes you so confident? How many of his 288 TOTAL college throws did you watch?

I feel like once Mahomes hit, every fan thinks that any Raw QB can be molded into a Hall of Famer. (Even though Mahomes was a 3 year starter with almost 1500 college passes.)

I feel like after Allen hit, every fan thinks every strong armed inaccurate QB can improve their accuracy. (Even though Allen started 2.5 years in college and needed 2 NFL seasons to develop, and is really the ONLY example of a QB drastically improving his accuracy)

Those two camps have converged and Lance arrived just in time as their Anointed One.

He reminds me of Deshone Kizer who seems a bit more of a natural runner and thrower.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
ok after watching tape again, im confident the niners take lance. honestly ill be surprised if kyle doesn't take him.

What did you see that makes you so confident? How many of his 288 TOTAL college throws did you watch?

I feel like once Mahomes hit, every fan thinks that any Raw QB can be molded into a Hall of Famer. (Even though Mahomes was a 3 year starter with almost 1500 college passes.)

I feel like after Allen hit, every fan thinks every strong armed inaccurate QB can improve their accuracy. (Even though Allen started 2.5 years in college and needed 2 NFL seasons to develop, and is really the ONLY example of a QB drastically improving his accuracy)

Those two camps have converged and Lance arrived just in time as their Anointed One.

He reminds me of Deshone Kizer who seems a bit more of a natural runner and thrower.

i see a s**t ton if similar plays kyle uses, he runs a more pro style offense, love his throwing mechanics, his athleticism, etc

he obviously has his weaknesses but its nothing where i see he cant get better at.

i see a s**t ton if similar plays kyle uses, he runs a more pro style offense, love his throwing mechanics, his athleticism, etc

he obviously has his weaknesses but its nothing where i see he cant get better at.

Pro style offense? He rushed the ball 177 times for 1200 yards and 16 TDs. He only threw the ball 100 more times than he passed the ball and only threw for 12 more TDs than he ran for.

Are you talking about formations and personnel? You don't think Fields can adjust to playing with a FB and 21 personnel?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd love to get Lance and groom him behind Jimmy for a year or two.

Pro style offense? He rushed the ball 177 times for 1200 yards and 16 TDs. He only threw the ball 100 more times than he passed the ball and only threw for 12 more TDs than he ran for.

Are you talking about formations and personnel? You don't think Fields can adjust to playing with a FB and 21 personnel?

Lance's greatest qualities are "intangibles," along with arm strength and athleticism. If you draft him, you're projecting that he will improve his flaws and maximize his strengths.

Lance's greatest qualities are "intangibles," along with arm strength and athleticism. If you draft him, you're projecting that he will improve his flaws and maximize his strengths.

That would be very understandable if Fields were not available. You take a project if you are a bad team with nothing to lose and no other option. If you are a team whose super bowl widow already opened up, you take the QB that needs less molding.
Connecting dots lol

Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd love to get Lance and groom him behind Jimmy for a year or two.

The problem is he would need to start a game sooner when Jimmy goes down with his annual injury. I guess Rosen could step in if Lance wasn't ready?

Right. This is what gives me anxiety about Lance. A team that drafts a player believes he's going to get better. But "getting better" is a skill like any other, and because Lance didn't play last season we have little idea about how good he is at getting better i.e. what he can get better at, how quickly he gets better, etc. It's easier to assess that skill if you've got a couple seasons of tape. Maybe scouts just have to sus that out by talking to his coaches, and maybe that's good enough if you trust them. "We saw him take a big leap in identifying fronts in Year 2" or that kind of thing. But it'd be nice to have hard evidence to back that stuff up.

Originally posted by kbarlows1000ydseason:

Right. This is what gives me anxiety about Lance. A team that drafts a player believes he's going to get better. But "getting better" is a skill like any other, and because Lance didn't play last season we have little idea about how good he is at getting better i.e. what he can get better at, how quickly he gets better, etc. It's easier to assess that skill if you've got a couple seasons of tape. Maybe scouts just have to sus that out by talking to his coaches, and maybe that's good enough if you trust them. "We saw him take a big leap in identifying fronts in Year 2" or that kind of thing. But it'd be nice to have hard evidence to back that stuff up.

He appears to have improved his mechanics, according to some twitter videos.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree, and I dont know if his next pro day will put to bed some of those worries. Agree its a two person race - Feilds vs Mac for #3 pick.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Agree, and I dont know if his next pro day will put to bed some of those worries. Agree its a two person race - Feilds vs Mac for #3 pick.

Nah. It's Fields vs Lance for sure.

I TOTALLY agree
  • KiwiM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Connecting dots lol

^^ That's a bigger reach than Mac Jones at 3.....
Share 49ersWebzone