George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 166 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

• Rascal
  • Veteran
I hope Lance is still in with a chance.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
It's pretty interesting that per request of Kyle, John Beck is now working with Lance...you don't do that if you already have a guy.

Was it Kyle who requested Beck to work with Lance, or did Lance choose Beck?
I'm feeling more comfortable that these talking head fools who keep mocking Jones are idiots because the Jones type is all what Kyle had and it's always been between Fields or Lance and I'm perfectly fine with either.
I like Lance but it's ridiculous to think that he is more advanced then Fields at anything at this point. There is nothing Lance can do that Fields can't. Now if we want a guy that will run out the pocket more and take on LBs and DBs like Cam Newton then Lance is over Fields. Now having a pre injury Newton isn't a bad thing and I think top ceiling is just that. Of course I'm higher on Newton then some. However Fields is there then he's just better and a safer choice imo. I will admit that I want one of the two and will be extremely disappointed if we get neither
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
It's pretty interesting that per request of Kyle, John Beck is now working with Lance...you don't do that if you already have a guy.

Middlekauff and crocky both said it was shanny asking if Beck would train with Lance.

Middlekauff and crocky both said it was shanny asking if Beck would train with Lance.

That's odd. If this request was made a while back, i would raise an eyebrow. If this request was made for the pro day, I would say ask "why?".

Yup and then it's interesting that Lance actually listened and is now training with Beck after being with his other QB coach for so long. Why would he do it? He has to think he has a realistic shot of being drafted by us.

That's odd. If this request was made a while back, i would raise an eyebrow. If this request was made for the pro day, I would say ask "why?".

I must've been typing while you sent this but exactly. Adds even more intrigue to say the least
Originally posted by Ark49er:
I like Lance but it's ridiculous to think that he is more advanced then Fields at anything at this point. There is nothing Lance can do that Fields can't. Now if we want a guy that will run out the pocket more and take on LBs and DBs like Cam Newton then Lance is over Fields. Now having a pre injury Newton isn't a bad thing and I think top ceiling is just that. Of course I'm higher on Newton then some. However Fields is there then he's just better and a safer choice imo. I will admit that I want one of the two and will be extremely disappointed if we get neither

Lance seems to understand the game at a different level. This Sports Illustrated article says a lot.

"Watch the 15 to 20 seconds before the play, and this is when you get to understand what the expectation is for Trey to run that offense," said McEvoy. "The play call may be the formation, then the protection, which for them may be a combo, which means Trey is going to go up to the line, see what the defensive front is, see where the threats are, and then he's going to call the protection at the line." McEvoy continued, "Then as far as the concept, half the time they're just going to say 'Trey.' That means that Trey is going to decide at the line what concept he wants run on the front side, and what the complimentary option is on the backside."

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-scouting-the-nuance-that-separates-trey-lance

Lance and Fields play the position in very different ways.

I personally favor the QB style that Lance plays the game with...quick feet, quick decision maker, quick thrower. But Kyle may prefer Fields...and Kyle is much smarter than I am when it comes to football :) At the end of the day, I'll root for whoever they draft to reach their ceiling...even if it's Mac Jones.

Side note: it's kinda ironic that you compare Lance to Cam Newton...because Cam is who Fields kinda reminds of.
[ Edited by Costanza on Apr 15, 2021 at 1:28 PM ]

Originally posted by Costanza:

I personally favor the QB style that Lance plays the game with...quick feet, quick decision maker, quick thrower. But Kyle may prefer Fields...and Kyle is much smarter than I am when it comes to football :) At the end of the day, I'll root for whoever they draft to reach their ceiling...even if it's Mac Jones.

Side note: it's kinda ironic that you compare Lance to Cam Newton...because Cam is who Fields kinda reminds of.

Yup. As a thrower... Fields is more like Cam. They both had great deep field accuracy and could throw a 50+ yard rope down the field without their feet set.

Lance is more of a rhythm throwing QB. He gets the ball out quicker in the tape I've watched. Who knows though Fields could certainly flourish in a quicker passing offense and hold the ball longer when he's looking deep... but it's an easier projection to see Lance in this offense then Fields. It doesn't make Lance the better player it just makes him a better fit IMO.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Costanza:

Yup. As a thrower... Fields is more like Cam. They both had great deep field accuracy and could throw a 50+ yard rope down the field without their feet set.

Lance is more of a rhythm throwing QB. He gets the ball out quicker in the tape I've watched. Who knows though Fields could certainly flourish in a quicker passing offense and hold the ball longer when he's looking deep... but it's an easier projection to see Lance in this offense then Fields. It doesn't make Lance the better player it just makes him a better fit IMO.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Yup and then it's interesting that Lance actually listened and is now training with Beck after being with his other QB coach for so long. Why would he do it? He has to think he has a realistic shot of being drafted by us.

Avery's been mixed up with some of the Deshaun Watson stuff that has been coming out. Supposedly he recommended some of the masseuses that Watson used. I'm wondering if more prospects won't be creating some distance from him, at least for awhile.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by fryet:
GTFO McCorkle

Who is McCorkle? I keep hearing him mentioned in various places.

It's Mac's middle name. Dweebs on the internet use it to try to demean him for some reason. They can't separate the person from the player.

Wow a dweeb for calling someone their actual name? How is calling someone their middle name not separating person from player? I call Zach Wilson by his middle name too which is Kapono. The irony of you saying this is Mac isn't even his name, he's called that because of McCorkle and I can say dweebs on the internet try to use it to promote him for some reason just the same.

Kapono? Does that mean if the 49ers miraculously draft him, they will call him Kap?

No, with Polynesian names are syllabic. You never combine a vowel with the consonant after it. It is Kah Poh Noh.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

I see way more Cam in Lance then Fields. They both have limited passing numbers and are way more likely to break the pocket and run. I also don't see a quick release. You might be confusing arm strength with that.
[ Edited by Jcool on Apr 15, 2021 at 3:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone