LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 151 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Just getting this out of the way, Justin Fields is better at everything then Trey Lance. There is zero reason to take him over Fields. The advantage of Lance is the upside. But Fields has the same upside. The only things that you can bring up is some have said he has had more control over what play is called and can check out of it and chance protection. I don't know if that is true or just coaches trying to pump his stock up. Its meaningless that he ran a similar offense. That is little to no advantage. Now if they take Lance i can't say i won't be disappointed, but he does have the upside to justify the selection. Just a lot going to take a lot of work to get him ready to be a starting QB.
[ Edited by Jcool on Apr 15, 2021 at 3:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Yup. As a thrower... Fields is more like Cam. They both had great deep field accuracy and could throw a 50+ yard rope down the field without their feet set.

Lance is more of a rhythm throwing QB. He gets the ball out quicker in the tape I've watched. Who knows though Fields could certainly flourish in a quicker passing offense and hold the ball longer when he's looking deep... but it's an easier projection to see Lance in this offense then Fields. It doesn't make Lance the better player it just makes him a better fit IMO.

I see way more Cam in Lance then Fields. They both have limited passing numbers and are way more likely to break the pocket and run. I also don't see a quick release. You might be confusing arm strength with that.

it's already proven statistically that Fields holds onto the ball a lot longer than Lance. It could be all scheme but we simply don't know if that's 100% true. So In that aspect, Fields is closer to Cam who notoriously held onto the ball in the pocket for a long time.

Just getting this out of the way, Justin Fields is better at everything then Trey Lance. There is zero reason to take him over Fields. The advantage of Lance is the upside. But Fields has the same upside. The only things that you can bring up is some have said he has had more control over what play is called and can check out of it and chance protection. I don't know if that is true or just coaches trying to pump his stock up. Its meaningless that he ran a similar offense. That is little to no advantage. Now if they take Lance i can't say i won't be disappointed, but he does have the upside to justify the selection. Just a lot going to take a lot of work to get him ready to be a starting QB.

You just have to watch all of Lance's games and come back to this thread. You'll see that his footwork is much better than Fields (light years) and that he's way less likely to get sacked and gets rid of the ball quicker.

Now you can argue that that's because it's mostly scheme and again to which I couldn't say you're wrong cause we don't know. But it's pretty clear that Lance has some traits over Fields by just watching all the tape. The tape is showing Lance play with more of a sense of urgency to get through progressions, shift his feet in the pocket and sell play fakes.

And again... I'm not a Fields hater by any means. I'm telling you what I'm seeing.
Yup. As a thrower... Fields is more like Cam. They both had great deep field accuracy and could throw a 50+ yard rope down the field without their feet set.

Lance is more of a rhythm throwing QB. He gets the ball out quicker in the tape I've watched. Who knows though Fields could certainly flourish in a quicker passing offense and hold the ball longer when he's looking deep... but it's an easier projection to see Lance in this offense then Fields. It doesn't make Lance the better player it just makes him a better fit IMO.

I see way more Cam in Lance then Fields. They both have limited passing numbers and are way more likely to break the pocket and run. I also don't see a quick release. You might be confusing arm strength with that.

it's already proven statistically that Fields holds onto the ball a lot longer than Lance. It could be all scheme but we simply don't know if that's 100% true. So In that aspect, Fields is closer to Cam who notoriously held onto the ball in the pocket for a long time.

You just have to watch all of Lance's games and come back to this thread. You'll see that his footwork is much better than Fields (light years) and that he's way less likely to get sacked and gets rid of the ball quicker.

Now you can argue that that's because it's mostly scheme and again to which I couldn't say you're wrong cause we don't know. But it's pretty clear that Lance has some traits over Fields by just watching all the tape. The tape is showing Lance play with more of a sense of urgency to get through progressions, shift his feet in the pocket and sell play fakes.

And again... I'm not a Fields hater by any means. I'm telling you what I'm seeing.

Lance is only less likely to get sacked because at the first sign of trouble he bolts the pocket. He rarely keeps his eyes downfield and his accuracy is all over the place. He threw about 18 times a game so you don't even know how good of a passer he will be. He is 100% projection and probably maxes out as a bigger Lamar Jackson. Which could be great but doesn't seem like the type Kyle wants.

I see that as well in the games. Significant difference.
Honestly idk who has the advantage, Fields or Lance. Fields is a more polished passer with more experience and accurate, but lance ran a pro style offense with more responsibilities with play calls and pre snap reads. I think Fields is the club favorite cause of the familiarity with Kyle but maybe it's close enough to where lance can kill it when meeting Kyle and he becomes to choice.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Honestly idk who has the advantage, Fields or Lance. Fields is a more polished passer with more experience and accurate, but lance ran a pro style offense with more responsibilities with play calls and pre snap reads. I think Fields is the club favorite cause of the familiarity with Kyle but maybe it's close enough to where lance can kill it when meeting Kyle and he becomes to choice.

This isn't 1995 or even 2005. The type of offense you run has no bearing on what kind of NFL QB you will be.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

This isn't 1995 or even 2005. The type of offense you run has no bearing on what kind of NFL QB you will be.

Of course it does. Don't be so ridiculous. You think for a moment that Lamar Jackson is anywhere close to as successful in SF as has had been in Balt? Obviously not. He'd have never been the pick in SF because of the kind of offense we run. Kaepernick wasn't wanted by Kyle when he came on board because he doesn't fit the style of offense Kyle runs, and that was per Kyle.

I'll concede it isn't the potential problem it used to be, but to say has no bearing is so completely false it's flabergasting that a regular in this forum for as long as you've been is making that statement.

Lance is only less likely to get sacked because at the first sign of trouble he bolts the pocket. He rarely keeps his eyes downfield and his accuracy is all over the place. He threw about 18 times a game so you don't even know how good of a passer he will be. He is 100% projection and probably maxes out as a bigger Lamar Jackson. Which could be great but doesn't seem like the type Kyle wants.

This statement lets me know you haven't watched his film in it's entirety. Please watch the film and come back.
On ESPN, Mcshay asked Louis Riddick who he would take at #3 if he were the Niners GM. He said he'd take Trey Lance due to the fit in Shanahan's system and his ceiling as a player. He said Lance could have a legendary career with Shanny.

Kinda found that interesting, even though he's just another guy with an opinion. I thought he would pick Fields.

This statement lets me know you haven't watched his film in it's entirety. Please watch the film and come back.

He will move up in the pocket and if there is an opening he goes for it. Its instinctual. On top of that he doesn't go down he wants to punish the defender. It's not something you can easily coach out of him.
If you want a fast release our current qb is pretty damn. Good at that. Or was until last year.
My preferred choice of this draft was Lance, however that was because I believed we could get him at 12 or via a small trade up.

Now we have gone to #3 I think it has to be Fields. I see their ceilings similarly, but have Fields with the higher degree of certainty of reaching them.

That said no one should be talking sh*t on Lance, he has endless potential and more power to the team that drafts him believing they can get it out of him.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
My preferred choice of this draft was Lance, however that was because I believed we could get him at 12 or via a small trade up.

Now we have gone to #3 I think it has to be Fields. I see their ceilings similarly, but have Fields with the higher degree of certainty of reaching them.

That said no one should be talking sh*t on Lance, he has endless potential and more power to the team that drafts him believing they can get it out of him.

This

Lance was the hope pre trade. He's an exciting prospect and seems like a really easy dude to root for.

But Fields is both blue chip talent and has unlimited upside. I feel like he would have been drafted #1 overall in many years. I don't think you pass on that for a QB like Lance who has such a wide range of outcomes.

That said, if Lance is the pick I would be excited. Slightly anxious.. but excited.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
This

Lance was the hope pre trade. He's an exciting prospect and seems like a really easy dude to root for.

But Fields is both blue chip talent and has unlimited upside. I feel like he would have been drafted #1 overall in many years. I don't think you pass on that for a QB like Lance who has such a wide range of outcomes.

That said, if Lance is the pick I would be excited. Slightly anxious.. but excited.

I'm not sure about Fields having a higher upside, and the reason is right in your statement... "blue chip talent"

Fields has had access to elite coaching since what... high school? Lance has just begun that type of training and I think his mechanics look cleaner right now (and Lance is over a year younger) than Fields.

As an aside... I really wish I would've hedged my Lance bet with Fields when I made it a couple weeks ago. I would've made $$ if either was the pick and I guess if the pick is Mac I'll have to admit I know NOTHING about football. Which is possible . Now the Fields odds suck compared to two weeks ago .
[ Edited by IceMan1763 on Apr 16, 2021 at 8:01 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone