LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 159 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
There is no we....this isn't consensus. I am telling you what I saw, not that I am an expert but this time I was absolutely correct in every other move that was made and when around the QB's. Lance wasn't dropping out of top 4-7. If you wanted him for sure you had to get to 3. Even if the Falcons passed the Panthers and Broncos were sniffing around and clearly Cincy and the Fins were willing to shop their spots.

Clearly Miami was shopping that pick. If the 9ers don't make that trade, then it's Carolina, Denver, or someone else at 3 picking Lance.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lance doesnt fall... There were three teams in the 4-7 range who were in on him. One would have bit. You can easily argue that Fields or Mac with no pics traded is the smarter play, but there is no world where Lance got down to where we could pick him up at our original spot. If we wanted Lance all along and wanted to be sure of it, this was the cost.

We don't know that. That's hyperbole. We said the same about Fields and Mac too and both went around our original 12 pick, outside the top 10. Fields...many expects at least top 4.

There is no we....this isn't consensus. I am telling you what I saw, not that I am an expert but this time I was absolutely correct in every other move that was made and when around the QB's. Lance wasn't dropping out of top 4-7. If you wanted him for sure you had to get to 3. Even if the Falcons passed the Panthers and Broncos were sniffing around and clearly Cincy and the Fins were willing to shop their spots.

Right, I'm just saying if you're going to say trading up that high for an unathletic QB you better be prepared to say the same about a massive redshirt project esp. when Fields/Mac were proof of going outside the top 10 and both were far more accomplished to date.

Great post. These guys are acting like there's a 90% chance of Lance becoming Mahomes or Allen in a year. It's more like 50/50 he ever becomes an above average qb on the league.
Now Mac and Fields are risks as well but they have pedigree and have performed against real talent and coaching schemes/ in high school and college.
I will say, if it all comes together the. We could be looking at a monster. My favorite thing about Lance is his, what I call "lean", running ability. He has shake and running back like balance to break tackles and soften hits. Guys like Lawrence and Fields may be faster or just as fast, but they don't have the twitch that Lance does. In fact, the only qb in the league with that would be Jackson.
My hope is Shanahan can gameplan where all Lance has to do is put the ball where Kyle wants it to go and if that first...and second read isn't there, take off.
Not who I would've picked but I trust the reports about his dedication and leadership.
Mac Jones didn't fall. He went exactly where he should have, 5th QB off the board. No one will ever know, but I am confident that a trade was necessary for Lance. To 3? Maybe not, but it was the only guarantee to get him.
Lance doesnt fall... There were three teams in the 4-7 range who were in on him. One would have bit. You can easily argue that Fields or Mac with no pics traded is the smarter play, but there is no world where Lance got down to where we could pick him up at our original spot. If we wanted Lance all along and wanted to be sure of it, this was the cost.

We don't know that. That's hyperbole. We said the same about Fields and Mac too and both went around our original 12 pick, outside the top 10. Fields...many expects at least top 4.

Right, I'm just saying if you're going to say trading up that high for an unathletic QB you better be prepared to say the same about a massive redshirt project esp. when Fields/Mac were proof of going outside the top 10 and both were far more accomplished to date.

your love for noodle arm is well documented with 900 pages of never letting a moment pass without running everyone else into the ground...but is has no baring on where people were ever going to actually get drafted.

your love for noodle arm is well documented with 900 pages of never letting a moment pass without running everyone else into the ground...but is has no baring on where people were ever going to actually get drafted.

Receipts!!!!! Or something like that.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:

Great post. These guys are acting like there's a 90% chance of Lance becoming Mahomes or Allen in a year. It's more like 50/50 he ever becomes an above average qb on the league.
Now Mac and Fields are risks as well but they have pedigree and have performed against real talent and coaching schemes/ in high school and college.
I will say, if it all comes together the. We could be looking at a monster. My favorite thing about Lance is his, what I call "lean", running ability. He has shake and running back like balance to break tackles and soften hits. Guys like Lawrence and Fields may be faster or just as fast, but they don't have the twitch that Lance does. In fact, the only qb in the league with that would be Jackson.
My hope is Shanahan can gameplan where all Lance has to do is put the ball where Kyle wants it to go and if that first...and second read isn't there, take off.
Not who I would've picked but I trust the reports about his dedication and leadership.

again you mistake the conversation....this isn't about your draft crush and where you think they should have gone. It is about where they actually went and always were going to go.
King Kong balls pick. Straight up. Biggest project in the draft and an even bigger risk with the amount we gave up esp. given how far Mac and Fields fell. If SF doesn't take him, how far would Lance fall? Risky taking a project at QB in the top 10 and one that should be redshirted for a year.

All that said, Kyle kept talking about how mature this young man is, his work ethic, his retention on the white board, etc.

There's no denying his traits.

I very much respect the swing-for-the-fences here but I'd be lying if I didn't think there is massive risk and cost here too. One thing very much concerned me was Kyle's comments on accuracy. He felt you can only improve that with what HE can control and that's his footwork. So that's certainly something to watch.

BTW: What hampered Alex was paralysis by analysis. He had to KNOW everything before he could even function. That probably won't be the case with Trey.

Kick some ass in 2022, kid!

Jimmy is taking us to the playoffs this year. Win-win.

He would have fallen all the way to 4
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Did we need to trade three firsts for Lance? Couldn't we have gotten him where we were originally at?

Supposedly the Falcons would have taken him at 4. They had eyes for him for a long time which is why we had to get to 3

ATL and Denver loved him reportedly

Carolina too.

I am concerned about if Lance will be next Kap?!

Its not your job to worry about that bro so relax. Especially when the only reason you're saying that is because he physically resembles him.

You can watch this video about the Championships in 2019. Lance was keeping Rushing yards to 30 ATT and 166 Yards, 1 TDs and 1 Fumbling. He had nothing to throw the balls to guys when he had Passing about 6/10, 72 years. Do you prefer him for Rushing years than Passer Yards?!? Are you sure about it?I watched this video which made me frustrated and disappointed because he didn't pass the yard!

Don't be a hypocrite.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
He would have fallen all the way to 4

Again hyperbole. And that's not the point. Nobody predicted Fields falling outside the top 10 citing your same exact logic...but he did! So, no, nobody knows. Perhaps had we not picked him at 3, he falls just as far because he is a project and most teams drafting top 10 don't want a red shirt project. Too risky.

However, for us, I freaking love it. King Kong ballsy move when you factor in all the risk and capital given up.

I'm stoked to see if it starts panning out in 2022.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 30, 2021 at 7:36 AM ]

According to all the Jimmy supporters, Kyle's offense takes at least a year and maybe 2 to master. If that's true then it made no difference who they picked.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Receipts!!!!! Or something like that.

I had none.

I didn't think any of them were worth #3 and the draft capital to get them. All had big holes or major question marks in their games.

I was definitely cool with any of the 3. It wasn't hard to envision any of them here. Mac as a day 1 starter, Fields as an eventual starter and Jimmy+redshirt Trey for 2021.

Love them all for different reasons.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 30, 2021 at 7:39 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
According to all the Jimmy supporters, Kyle's offense takes at least a year and maybe 2 to master. If that's true then it made no difference who they picked.

That would have been my ideal either way, honestly!
Most people felt that despite his skills it was going to take Herbert some time to get used to the pro system since what he ran in college was so different. Well we all saw what happened when he was forced into action early in the season. All the cliches and conventional wisdom about rookie QBs is being turned on it's head. Teams are using young QBs earlier than ever because of the rookie contracts that allow them to get 5 years at a cheap price. Then they build around him .

Don't be a hypocrite.

I wanted Fields. There is no Hypocracy
Share 49ersWebzone